Help me put ssc in gladius..Done!!!Thanks DatiLed

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I purchased a ssc p4 and some thermal, non-conductive, adhesive and am planning on replacing the luxIII in the gladius myself. I've had the light apart and was planning on simply unsoldering the emmitter from the star and replacing it with the ssc.

Any reason why I should not do this?????

Also, do I need the .030 spacer I've been hearing about??

Any input would be appreciated.............

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me put ssc in gladius.....

munkybiz_9881,

Go for it!

Flatten the copper disk, and sand both sides with some 320 grip sand paper to remove any small burrs. Clean with alcohol.

Use the Arctic Alumina to adhere the disk to the area that once held the Luxeon LED. Use the AA sparingly, and make sure that the disk is well seated in a very thin bed of the AA. Slide the disk back and forth, and rotate it in place. An air bubble under the disk, or a thick layer of AA will cause heat issues and an angry blue Seoul.

Before the AA dries, test the copper disk for continuity with the head of the light. Continuity is bad! Adhere the LED in place with AA, aligning the leads of the emitter with the solder pads (watch for polarity). Install the reflector and verify that the LED is well centered. Make any adjustments before the AA dries.

Let the AA cure completely before soldering the leads. You may need to bend them slightly to make contact with the solder pads. After soldering, check the LED for continuity with the head again. It is not too late to fix a mistake. Once you are satisfied with your work, test the light. Wicked bright means that you did a good job. You know what no light means.

Have fun!

datiLED

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened

Thank you datiLED,

Just for clarity, is the base of the emitter supposed to be postive or negative, and what polarity should the star be directly under the emmitter, I am guessing negative? Do I test from the head of the light or the Negative solder pad to be sure there is no continuity to the copper disc???

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, you test from the positive led leg to the ground...metal of the flashlight. You do not want contact! THe base of the led is positive- that's what makes it harder to work with. I see that Kai is selling thin spacers for the seoul Led under DIY flashlights. 10 for 1 dollar. THese are circular and have a center cutout to let the led conduct heat to the base without touching it. You just epoxy the spacer, and led at the same time...I've made my own...worked for me.

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened

DONE!!!!!

Wow what a difference!

My own spacers out of 3/4 copper pipe. Cut a 2" section, split one side, hammered it flat and use a line mans hole punch to make perfect 1/4" disc's. Worked like a charm.

Thanks DatiLed for your usefull advice!!!

Now on to rebels.....man these stinkers are tiny..........lol

***Update...Gladius is brighter than P3D-R100, and throws farther too....Way Kewl***

Last edited: