Pics of problem with new Ray O Vac 4w/3c light

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

(I added pics in a later post).

I have a new Ray O Vac 4w/3c that flickers while doing beam adjustments. It flickers in some spots and is steady in others. When it is flickering sometimes a gentle tap of the bezel against and open palm will puts the light out completely.

It is covered under warranty. But I hate the time and expense in sending it back.

Anyone have a potential fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
Re: Need fix for problem with new Ray O Vac 4w/3c light

Have you taken it apart yet.i noticed on mine that the emitter board was not at all attached its kinda wedge in there.While tightening down the head you can see the emitter rotate.Thought about super gluing it down but I don't know.someone will be along soon to tell us.

mick53

Newly Enlightened

houtex,

Does yours flicker also?

The emitter seems in solidly on mine but the unless the head is tightened down all the way it flickers.

Maybe the are supposed to be tightened down all the way but I thought they were adjustable beam lights - the adjustment made by rotating the head.

Mike

houtex

Enlightened

It did once.When I first got it.the head was real loose,so was the shiny metal base(the heat sink I guess).After I tightened it down though not since.Even after I since have adjusted it back and forth no flicker still.

big beam

Enlightened

Is there 1 or 2 wires going to the led?If it's 1 wire then perhaps the led has to be "seated"tightly for the led to make contact.Just a guess.
DON

mick53

Newly Enlightened

I just took a second look and also took some pics.

The board, if that's the correct term, to which the emitter is attached is a little loose. I can move it about 1/8 - 1/16 top to bottom. And yes, there is one wire connected to the LED.

There was aslo a quite small piece of rectangular shaped cellophone like plastic that fell out when I removed the head. Was it maybe used as insulation somewhere on the board.

When I press down on the board the LED brightens considerably.

How should the wire be situated? "up" like a bridge? pressed down towards 6 o'clock? pressed down toward 12 o'clock? Does it matter?

I took some pics.

1st pic, if you look at 12 o'clock, just above where it ways "WPG Tech" you can see the board is up against the bezel.

2nd pic, I slid the board down. Note the space now between the board and the bezel.

3rd pic is that piece of cellophone that I have no idea where it was originally/

Top of board up against bezel
100_3618.jpg

Board moved from top of bezel
100_3616.jpg

Mystery cellophane
100_3622.jpg

Mike