Is There "Bright" Red LED Light Out There?

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a flashlight with strobe using a red LED (not a filter) of the new generation (Seoul P4, Cree XR-E, Rebel etc.) with a strobe mode. I'd like to use as a bike tail light.

Ideas?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi diesel_dad. I can't remember seeing any red cree or ssc based lights yet but then again I haven't been looking. I have seen red filters though. This one http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2960 fits the common Fenix lights.

My other thought was that 120+ red lumens facing trailing vehicle traffic might be a bit much. I always seem to notice those flashing 5mm red leds from several hundred yards behind and even use one of those myself.

Your picture reminds me of Mcdowell Mountain Park, Fountain Hills, AZ which is a huge recreational hiking and mountain biking area. I ride out there frequently.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I agree, too many lumens out the back is not a good thing. My cateye taillight with single 5mm red led seems to be plenty bright.

But if you really do want to use something brighter, make sure the taillight points slightly downward so it doesn't blind people behind you.

vader

Newly Enlightened
I have a bike trailer and a couple of kids. when We ride at night I use an Inova 24/7 in one of it's flash modes on the back of the trailer. From a distance of several hundred yards away the trailer looks like a police car or something. Plenty of light.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Really -- I want to know about flashlights with red LEDs. Seriously ...

I already have Planetbike Superflashes, Blackburn Mars 3.0 etc. They are barely visible in daylight but they are quite adequate at night.

I am not really convinced on the Dinotte packaging for the tail lights, so I am curious about alternatives.

Anyone know?

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Your picture reminds me of Mcdowell Mountain Park, Fountain Hills, AZ which is a huge recreational hiking and mountain biking area. I ride out there frequently.

Actually the pic in my sig is Rockhound State Park in New Mexico. Very cool place.

We have camped at Fountain Hills as well. Both areas are very scenic for sure.