Big difference in prices???

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me what are the reason for big difference between the flashlights.If i look flaslight made by cree led and the prices are from 7USD to 60USD.Any comment for that? I think that there is many reasons, but what could be the big reasons?

gromit

Newly Enlightened
Cree is the manufacturer of the LED not the complete light.
Just because many lights are using a Cree, doesn't make them the same.
It's like putting quality tires on a AMC Gremlin. Wont make it perform like a BMW. It is the sum of the parts that makes a light.

There are different materials that the body is made out of.
Different coating that make the body more scratch resistant. Paint -> Type-II ->HA-III etc.

glass lens or plastic.

quality of reflector.

what kind of switch.

what kind of "driver"

spend some time reading the reviews.
I've always believed that you get what you paid for.

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
Good reply gromit. Especially the "get what you pay for" part. I'm just getting started in flashaholism but I can tell you that I see a noticeable difference in quality my Amilite T5 ($80) vs my Ultrafire EMR1 ($27). That doesn't mean that the Ultrafire is not a very useful tool. I like both lights. I think the Amilite would take more punishment and hold up longer but I like the multi-mode capability and compact size of the EMR1.

There are many, many choices out there. It is wonderful and daunting all at the same time. Take your time Juctuc and read, then jump in! It's a lot of fun. :twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
... There are different materials that the body is made out of.
Different coating that make the body more scratch resistant. Paint -> HA-II ->HA-III etc.
This always annoys me, I don't know why. There is no such thing as HA-II. HA stands for Hard Anodizing which is Type-III anodizing. Type-II is not HA. HA is much tougher then Type-II but Type-II is much easier to color and create.

Back to the original question.

Cree is an LED manufacturer, Their XR-E LEDs have many different bins. P3, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, in order of efficiency and brightness. The cheaper lights might use the lower Bins and the more expensive ones might use higher bins.

There is quality cost, machining cost, labor cost, shipping cost, and few others. There is also R&D cost, since some cheaper lights copy from the more expensive companies. All these add up to a big difference in pricing.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
Compare it to rifles. A cheap rifle and a great hunting rifle might use the very same ammo and do it's job on a good day. However, you have to pay a premium price for reliabaility, precision, a good trigger, the availability of accessories and life time service.

gromit

Newly Enlightened
This always annoys me, I don't know why. There is no such thing as HA-II. HA stands for Hard Anodizing which is Type-III anodizing. Type-II is not HA. HA is much tougher then Type-II but Type-II is much easier to color and create.

You are correct. but if someone doesn't know that, they will see companies selling lights as HA-II that are no where near the HA-III

Thanks for correcting

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight are exactly like any other product out there. The basic functions are all the same but the differences are in the details. Some people will never accept the differences as being worth it but enthusiasts will.

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answers.. LumaPower MRV from DX seems to be good.Maybe i will try that.I will use it with 18650,if i find charger with EURO-plug from DX. In Finland those chargers are very very expensive.

faiz23

Newly Enlightened
before you buy the mrv from dx check out battery station they had a good deal on the mrv get in touch with matt and tell him you were thinking of getting mrv from dx. the dx is no warranty and a little lower quality