NovaTac EDC-120P vs ?

Cnote

Newly Enlightened
Haven't been around for a while and I'm in the market for a new EDC. I'm seeing alot of good information about the New NovaTacs.

Wanting to get the most for my dollars I do alot of comparison shopping for value.

I know the NovaTac has something like 22 levels of brightness, of which two or three I would think is all I would use regularly.

Government seems to be issueing them to certain agencies, must be a high quality product like the CMG Infinity Government model is/was which I own and think is bullet proof!

Many favorable comments, matter of fact I only remember seeing two negitive comments in my reading on NovaTac other than the clip.

Long story short is this light worth almost two and half times more money than say the Fenix I have listed?

I work hard for my dollars and I just want value for my money. I have no problem spending the $150 if I can justify the purchase in my mind.

Thanks for any imput, I'm not trying to start anything by the comparion light I feel is close, but output seems to be in favor of the Fenix, long runtime for days on survival mode seems to be in the NovaTacs favor. Quality? Durability?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks

NovaTac EDC-120P $150.00 plus shipping
Programmable Brightness and Options
• Primary Setting: 10 Lumens
• Secondary Setting: 30 Lumens
• Minimum Setting: .3 Lumens
• Maximum Setting: 85 or 120 Lumens

• Quickly Accessible Maximum Brightness
• 4 Programmable, Directly Accessible
Brightness Settings
• Single-Button User Interface
(including quickly accessible
maximum brightness, menu options,
and ramped brightness settings)
• Pocket Clip/Lanyard Attachment
• Intuitive User Manual
• Automatic Brightness Reduction
for Weak Battery
• Protects Rechargeable Battery
• Reverse Polarity Protection
• Thermal Regulation

• Input Voltage: 1.8V to 4.5V
• Light Source: White LED
• Maximum Light Output: 85 or 120 Lumens
• Regulation: Constant Power Regulation
• Battery: 1xCR123A
or Li-ion (4.2V) Rechargeable
• Lens: Polycarbonate With
Anti-reflective Coatings
• Dimensions: 1 Inch (25mm)
Diameter by 3.3 Inches (80mm) Long
• Weight: 3.1 Ounces Including Battery
• Waterproof: 66 Feet

Fenix Digital P2D RB100 $60.00 Including Shipping
[SIZE=+0]• Utilizes a Premium (100) Luxeon Rebel LED with a life of 50,000 hours[/SIZE]
• Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel • Waterproof: 66 Feet
• General Mode: 11 lumens (30hrs) -> 50 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 100 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS • Waterproof: 66 Feet
• Turbo Mode: 175 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe
• Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
• Uses one 3v CR123A battery (not included)
[SIZE=+0]• Made of aircraft grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard anodized finish [/SIZE]
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
• Includes a holster, lanyard, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NovaTac EDC-120P has bigger and more (slightly) deep reflector

Fenix Digital P2D RB100 has warmer tint LED's (most of them have)

both are equally good.... buy both ... keep one that you like more after playing with them for a while... sell other ...

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 120P and the P2D Q2. There both great lights, but I don't think it's quite fair to compare a $60 to a $150 light. The 120P feels very solid in your hand, has protection for a RCR123, lifetime warranty, made in the USA, and is programmable. Since getting the 120P I haven't really carried the P2D. Thats not to say it's a bad light, I just prefer the 120P. One note on the output of the lights, Fenix quotes LED lumens Novatac quotes out the front lumens. The output is very close, but the 120P has the the better beam(in my opinion). I'm not sure if it's important to you, but the P2D only has turbo and strobe when using a 3.7v RCR123.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever spent $150 on a better light than the 120P - time will tell but right now it is shooting well above it's pricepoint.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
I think it's the best light to value LED light available. Unless your are a KISS principle kind of user grab one. You won't be sorry.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not the kind of person who needs the brightest, maybe consider the Novatac 85P. From what I have read, the 120P and the 85P seem to have the same emitter so the runtime of the 85P on max is over an hour which is the same as the runtime of the 120p at 85 lumens. The $40.00 maybe not be worth it for you. There certainly is not a whole lot of difference between 85 lumens and 120 lumens at least to me and my needs.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 120P is a great light and you cant go wrong with it.

A Liteflux LF-3 may be worth looking at too. I really like mine and think it is a well made light with huge flexibility. You can program the light just how you like it. It can be used with rechargable RCR123's, it has low voltage warning, it has voltage reporting, 2 level settings that are user settable, and a user mode. The description of how to use the light is not clear and can be confusing. But once you understand it the light is actually easy and flexible to use.

A couple of other pluses are: Easy to upgrade the SSC LED to one you like or the newest to come out and one of the smaller/thinner CR123 lights.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P2D CE (cree) and 120T. The 120T is a better light and it's what I carry. It is rock solid in function. My first Fenix was returned. The new one has some glitches that I can live with. The 120T beam is much smoother. I trust it to be totally waterproof. Easy one handed operation. The Fenix will turn itself off or change modes if shaken or sometimes just moved around too much. The 120T also has a very dim low brightness which is very useful.

I tried both lights with the same battery and didn't notice any brightness difference, nor is the tint all that different.

The Fenix is thinner and cheaper. If that is important, then I can recommend it. If $150 isn't going to be missed from your income, and you really want the best, the 120T is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Cnote

Newly Enlightened
The 120P is a great light and you cant go wrong with it.

A Liteflux LF-3 may be worth looking at too. I really like mine and think it is a well made light with huge flexibility. You can program the light just how you like it. It can be used with rechargable RCR123's, it has low voltage warning, it has voltage reporting, 2 level settings that are user settable, and a user mode. The description of how to use the light is not clear and can be confusing. But once you understand it the light is actually easy and flexible to use.

A couple of other pluses are: Easy to upgrade the SSC LED to one you like or the newest to come out and one of the smaller/thinner CR123 lights.
I will look into this Liteflux LF-3 Thank You

Everyone that has a NovaTac seem to be very happy.

Is the "P" series the best way to go?

Thanks

jcompton

Enlightened
NovaTac EDC-120P $150.00 plus shipping

You can pick up a 120P from Lighthound for 147 shipped (USA) with the CPF discount. That's what I did a couple weeks ago and I wouldn't trade it...sad thing is I may actually pick up one or two more...:sssh:
If for nothing else, look at the build quality. This light can take one heck of a beating and still remain in perfect working order. I have yet to find a fenix that would even come close...

John

Last edited: