newb, led for my mag or rayovac 4 watt? also help fix my $4 dx light

John Redcorn

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think you guys are about to turn me into a flashlight-guy like my brother. I found this place months back when someone told me DX had green lasers cheap, I googled them up to read about them and ended up here. (my 30mw newwish is awesome, I'd never even seen a green laser before) I started reading some other flashlight stuff here and talked to my brother some about it, he showed me his fenix l2d and I think I'm hooked. I've already ordered what is in my approximation the DX half-price counterpart to his fenix light. a couple people here had some good things to say about it too, it's this C-8 thing: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6131

it's not even here yet and already now I'm thinking about 14500 cells for it so I can run it bright with its short battery-tube.

Anyway, Now I want an insanely bright long-distance light for around $30ish. I read about the ray-o-vac 4watt on here and have been driving all over to different walmarts and targets looking for it, cant find it, I guess I have to order it.
(I did see a bunch of 1 and 3 watt 2xaa sportsman xtreme lights that looked really nice)

unless that is I can make a mag-lite just as bright or brighter for $30 or so.

from what I've read on here it doesn't seem there is a drop in led for a mag that bright for less than $60 or so. I think all I'm seeing is 3 watt ones hopefully I can be proven wrong.

I have a 4 D-cell mag lite with a regular tungsten bulb, if I can find a pawn-shop that will trade my 4-d light for a 2 or 3-d light can I still make it as bright with a good led as a 4-D with a good led? or should I stick with 4-d? it's black and I'd like a smaller silver one.

does the rayovac light really have adjustable focus like a mag? it doesn't say anything about that on the rayovac website and someone here said something in a thread about it might not really be meant to adjust, you're supposed to have the head screwed down all the way.

Also back when I ordered the laser from DX I ordered this little 1xAA light
http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5089 it's cheap but I really like it. it's almost as bright as the (probably expensive) cmg reactor 1w light my brother gave me 5 or 6 years ago when he first became a flashlight-guy. (about a week after becoming an EMT)

it doesn't stay turned on, you have to adjust how much the head or the tailcap is screwed on to get it to stay constant. I've tried some spark-plug grease on the threads but that didn't help, it doesn't look like there's any of the paint or whatever that is on the threads and it doesn't look like theres anything wrong with where the + and - of the battery connect at, any ideas?

Last edited: