Solitaire version??

Stromberg

Enlightened
I was going to buy this Tektite drop-in for Solitaire..

http://www.led-replacement.com/lt-3.html

..but there was a note that "Tektite LT-3 is made for the newer version of the Solitaire". How do I know what version do I have? My Solitaire is maybe ten years old and there aren't any markings or serial numbers on it that could clarify which version it is.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you look at this?
Can't answer your question. Thrown out all my old solitaires.

The Fenix E0 review is less than the Tectite drop in. The Fenix E1 review is about the same price with the CPF discount CPF8. (Fenix store includes shipping, LED_replacement does not for foreign customers) Note the discount code is for orders over $20 so the E0 does not qualify.

One of the reasons I am not enthused over the solitaire drop-ins is if you crank down on the head too much, it tends to turn the module and break the pins. Then you lose both the module and the flashlight. (I could not get the broken pin out of the socket making the light useless)

Stromberg

Enlightened
Thanks Ledninja, those are good points you mentioned. I was thinking that it would be more economical way to upgrade existing Solitaire than buy yet another new flashlight and leave the old Solitaire as totally useless desk drawer "filler".
Although I could live knowing the fact that there are much more brighter flashlights than Solitaire with led drop in, it is unacceptable that it may break so easily as you described.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Edit: I just realized I have my old Tektite LT-3 sitting in a drawer in its original packaging. As explained below, it works only intermittently, but if you would like to check the fit, I'll be happy to post it to you. If you are interested, PM me your shipping information. Personally, I wouldn't buy this mod, but YMMV.

[Original Post]

I had a bad experience with the Tektite Solitaire mod:

1. The LED fell out of the first one I bought. It was still within the warranty period, which I think was 3 months, so I sent it back and received a free replacement.

2. Two or three months out of warranty, the drop-in began intermittently emitting a high-pitched squealing noise instead of light. By that time, I had replaced it with a Fenix E1 and relegated the Solitaire to night-stand duty. I had dropped the light a few times, and it was once packed in a Camelback that took an unplanned dip in a river during a canoe trip. I disassembled and inspected it immediately after, and I'm fairly sure no water got inside the light. Other than that, no hard use.

The first drop-in I received had a beautiful, almost tint-free white beam. The second one was bluish, with a sickly yellow near the hotspot. I also didn't like the fact that the head wouldn't screw down all the way with the mod installed.

This was more than a year ago, so quality may have improved since then. Even so, I consider $20 to be too much for what you get with this item, especially since Lambda's SMJLED appears to be a better product for less money.

Of course, you could always take one for the team by buying both, and reporting on them for our collective benefit.
:naughty: :popcorn:

Last edited:

Stromberg

Enlightened
Thank you jnj1033 but I think I'll pass.. It seems that there are too much quality problems and unnecessary trouble with TLE-3 + Solitaire that it could be considered as reliable backup light for my key ring.

L0D CE seems quite interesting. Damn you fellow CPF'ers for giving me expensive ideas! :) I was just happy with my half a dozen different lights and now it seems that I "need" yet another completely new light..:ohgeez:

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
I have used the SMJLED2 drop-in in several solitares, both old and new. It works great. It makes the light useful. That said I also have the fenix AAA that blows the solitare away. I like them both but if I could only have one it would be the fenix of one of the many other high powered AAA out there.

I use this drop-in : http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.c...d=861&osCsid=dbfdc6f14eff4e5405e31be25a048220

It provides a usable amount of light indoors at night and anytime I have to crawl under a desk to examine computer cables. I like mine. If you search the website above you can find the link for $30 for five dropins instead of $13 each.

I like to buy bargain soli's, put in this led and give them as gifts to the un-enlightened. Everyone has liked them so far.

Hope that helps