SF L1: How many generations?

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody !!
It's been a while since I've posted. I'm having a relapse, and the rush feels good.
Anyway, just wondering how many generations of the L1 have there been?
Does anyone have a photo of them all? Was the first one made around 2004? I have the one with optics that was featured in the 2004 Catalogue, not that any of you still have those.:)
One last question: Did SF start using the 3 watt while they still had the old optics?

Thanks, you guys !!
(Is there anyone else out there who starts shaking when the mailman drives up with a new flashlight for you ?!)

scottaw

Enlightened
There's 3 MAIN generations with a few differences in each one.

1. The floody original one

2. The TIR optic narrow beam old one

3. The new CREE one

Yes, i know there's the 3 and 4 sided tir's the different bodies, but for actual use im saying 3.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
ScottAW is right. You can slice and dice the main versions, but that's getting more to collector-level information. Runtimes on v1 and v2 are approximately the same (not exactly the same - search old threads) but the v1 is all flood and v2 is almost pure spot. The v3 lost a lot of runtime but got a great combo spot/spill beam and a genuinely bright high level.

scottaw

Enlightened
According to the above mentioned milky post, i have a 2nd gen, scalloped head, nx-05, and i would call it floody. It does have a bit of a hotspot, and a bunch of rings, but it's a fairly even amount of light across the beam. And compared to the TIR optic, OH YEA is it floody.

But it's all a moot point, my L1 is about to be an ML-1.