Led positive and negative

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
I just got a p4 frm deal extreme to put in a stinger led. How do i know which side is positive and which is neg?

TMorita

Enlightened
I just got a p4 frm deal extreme to put in a stinger led. How do i know which side is positive and which is neg?

There is a short lead which has a notch in the middle, so it looks like ||. The long lead next to this is the cathode.

Toshi

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, what they said. Also, don't try to figure out polarity by applying battery voltage to it... you can easily burn it out with reverse polarity voltage. Actually it doesn't burn out, but the diode in the positive path to the leg will fry, and the LED will only work with the slug (bottom) used as the positive contact.

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
so does the leg go all the way through and stick out the other end? or the leg next to the notch the neg?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, what they said. Also, don't try to figure out polarity by applying battery voltage to it... you can easily burn it out with reverse polarity voltage. Actually it doesn't burn out, but the diode in the positive path to the leg will fry, and the LED will only work with the slug (bottom) used as the positive contact.
Do I sense a "been there, done that" moment? :p

Modding rule #1: Always buy duplicate parts before starting a mod. :laughing:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe leg next to the short notch is the negative. You can use a weak 3 volt battery to test for incorrect grounding...works great for me!

Place the negative on the neg, and the positive to ground...You want NO light! If it lights...you have a short to ground! You get to start over!