McLuxIII PD...or...NovaTac EDC 120P

imaginefj

Newly Enlightened
I have basically narrowed my choices down to these two lights. The McLuxIII PD and the NovaTac EDC 120P. I wanted some of your feedback is one much better than the other? Size is about the same. They are both waterproof which is a must on the list. Equally important is size.

I can not find the McLuxIII for sale anywhere either?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The choice should be easy. It is the interface that is radically different with those two lights. If I were you, I'd base my choice on the interface function. The rest is negotiable :D
Except price maybe ... the McLuxIII-PD is considerably more expensive than the Novatac.

The PD is not for sale on a regular basis. There have been aluminium versions in the past, the current iterations are all titanium and arrive in different flavours in "waves" ... meaning when Don had the time to finish a few of them.
B/S/T is the best source to snatch one as the waves are short-lived.

bernie

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have basically narrowed my choices down to these two lights. The McLuxIII PD and the NovaTac EDC 120P. I wanted some of your feedback is one much better than the other? Size is about the same. They are both waterproof which is a must on the list. Equally important is size.

Well if you narrow down your choices thats means you prolly did enough reading to realize the Mclux Pd is a collectors item and not available for sale anymore. You must either look in the B/S/T forums or post a request to buy one. And the Mclux PD is Luxeon based, the NOVATAC is a SEOUL. Be ready to pay a premium for the Mclux upwards of 300+. A NOVATAC will set you back $ 100 - $ 150 , depending on the model and will be brighter. I hope this helps. Keep reading...

greenLED

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf, imaginefj. Like Bernie pointed out, it boils down to interface preferences. The PD is as KISS as it gets, and yet its 2 levels are more than enough to cover all of my needs. Plus, the PD looks sexier. :)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well these are two very fine quality lights but a huge difference in use and features as well as purpose. I assume you already know most of the features of each so it really would depend on how you plan to use it and why. As most people here will say at some point - when in doubt - get 'em both. I'm not a KISS kind of guy so for me a light with more features and bells and whistles is what I like most of the time so if I could only have one light it would the the Novatac. And the Novatac can actually be used quite simply if you like the KISS principle but the inner workings and menu system make it more complex but flexible if you like. The McLux on the other hand is largely hand crafted - a piece of art in a flashlight and made to keep it simple and highly reliable. You'll probably own both eventually. As far as where to get the McLux you might contact McGizmo (Don) on here who makes them to see if he has any at this time but otherwise you can put up a WTB - want to buy in the CPF Marketplace or just watch the sell section there for one to come up.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Just a clarification ...

The initial release of the McLuxIII-PD was an aluminium version in different surface treatments sporting a LuxIII LED. The lates batch of those had SSC P4 LEDs sold by Don.
It is this light:

first-production.jpg

Nowadays Don is selling the titanium version of this light in various flavours, most important, different heads. Those are available in limited quantities from the man himself in his forum or, on B/S/T later.
It's those lights, and they are called McLuxIII-Ti-PD or whatever name they have following their form:

McTi-PDskullsmall.jpg

mcti011.jpg

LunaSol27andMule2.jpg

bernie

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
The hds light may be out soon, maybe orders by the end of the month.

The Arc LS incarnation is coming sometime too.

If that helps in your choices. :grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac is, in my opinion, the finest production light available and one of the best lights ever made; especially for the money. You cannot go wrong with this light.

The McGizmo lights like the Ti PD-S or the PD-S (the newer versions of the McLux III PD) are, in my opinion, the finest lights money can buy and satisfy like no other can if... you are an enthusiast as much as a user of flashlights.

The PD-S lights will throw a further reaching beam than the Novatac lights because the PD-S lights have a larger reflector (20 mm) than the Novatac lights (18 mm).

Thank God that I don't have to choose only one of these 2 fine lights.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ah yes ... there is the new Arc LS coming. From the limited info we have it might be in between the two. You might wanna check out the thread in the Arc sub-forum before making a choice.

You might have to be three eventually :nana:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes ... there is the new Arc LS coming. From the limited info we have it might be in between the two. You might wanna check out the thread in the Arc sub-forum before making a choice.

You might have to be three eventually :nana:

No question about it! :D Why get one when you can have three?? The eternal question of light---errr, LIFE!!!:nana:

Karl

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have a Novatec.........however see below for
Mclux Ti-PD-S, Mclux PD, Bare Alum, Luxeon LED, Mclux III, Ti

172663442-M.jpg

PD
172663487-M.jpg
w/Tritium, PD, No Tritium, NO PD
172663457-M.jpg

172663469-M.jpg

KenAnderson

Enlightened

Im,

I EDC a Novatac 120P in a belt holster and before that it was a HDS 60. Wonderful lights. I also have a McLuxIII PD that I pocket at the same time. I love both use them many times each day and night. Either would make an excellent EDC and you can't go wrong. The Novatac will allow you to set the levels to exactly what you need or enjoy. With the four programmable settings I use .33, 10, 42 and 120 lumens. With my PD, it's two levels of 6 and 120 lumens. When carrying either, I feel ready to deal with any situation.

You have excellent taste.

Ken

imaginefj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help! I still have not totally made up my mind but I will let you know when I know...

As far as good taste...I figure anything worth having is worth having the best. Especially anything that will be in my pockets day in and day out.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Given the limited availability of the McLux lights - you might do well to wait a bit for the latest Arc (co designed with Don - something of a production PD from what I've seen on the thread) and the new HDS light.

The Arc will be out .... well ..... whenever it comes out. Might be today, might be next week, might be in 12 months! It's been brewing for quite some time and supposedly nearing the start of manufacturing, but there can always be delays at this point...

The new HDS seems to be on a more defined timeline. Orders are expected to start sometime this month. What the (actually several) new HDS lights will do that the Novatac does not (since it is essentially the old HDS EDC with a few tweaks) is up for speculation and debate. But if you're going to drop some cash it may be worth seeing at least what one or both of these new lights looks like. You can always pick up a used HDS or Novatac on the marketplace to tide you over (which you'll be able to resell if you want to later pretty easily).

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac is, in my opinion, the finest production light available and one of the best lights ever made; especially for the money. You cannot go wrong with this light.

The McGizmo lights like the Ti PD-S or the PD-S (the newer versions of the McLux III PD) are, in my opinion, the finest lights money can buy and satisfy like no other can if... you are an enthusiast as much as a user of flashlights.

The PD-S lights will throw a further reaching beam than the Novatac lights because the PD-S lights have a larger reflector (20 mm) than the Novatac lights (18 mm).

Thank God that I don't have to choose only one of these 2 fine lights.

+1 perfectly summed up

hivoltage

Enlightened
Well, I have both, a Ti PD-S that I recently snagged on here for sale,and a Novatac 120P.....I carry the PD at work on my long pants and my Novatac on my shorts when I get home. I dont know what I am gonna do when it gets cold out and I dont wear shorts any more!!!!! Both are great lights though.