Maglites AA LED to LED Cree

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I just got a 3W LED Maglite using AA batteries. I found a Cree dropin that I presume was meant for the incandescent Maglite. Does anyone know if I would be able to switch out the Maglite LED in my Maglite, and put in the Cree version?

Also, second question, how reliable and durable are Maglites?

24dn71j.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the same question... my suspicion is that there is no easy to do a drop-in in a new LED MiniMag.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I may be wrong but I think the heads are different. I just received my cree for my minimag and its a great improvment 90-100 lumens with lots of spill. The cree upgrade for the minimag is a bi-pin so it will only work if the magled is a bi-pin. Maglite's are very reliable,durable and trusted by most of the world.

Richard L

Newly Enlightened
I like the stock 2-AA Mag LED as it is. It is bright enough for inside the house and has a good runtime, so it should make a nice emergency light. Out of curiosity, I may buy a 2-AA Mag non-LED (or find one of my old ones) and mod that. I've already TerraLUX-ed my old 3-D Mag, and it works great.
Grun said:
...how reliable and durable are Maglites?
I've been using Maglites since they first came out. They've been used for camping, backpacking, cycling, EDC, and general purpose around the house. I've never had one wear out or break. However, they do have a tendency to get lost, be given away, or loaned out and never returned.

Richard

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer the original question, no, a drop-in LED replacement meant for a AA Maglite will not work in one of the newer LED AA MiniMags. The good news is that you can buy regular AA Minimags at Walmart for around $8, so you will have a cheap host for one of the MiniMag LED drop-ins. There is very little direct parts compatibility between the incan regular Minimags and the LED Minimags.

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I haven't heard of a Cree drop for the Minimag either...unless you're referring to the Seoul SSC that uses the Cree technology. Is that what we're talking about?

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious, could someone measure the current at the battery and let us know. And also, how is that new reflector working out...still focusable? Thanks.

Last edited: