A question about refinishing.

houtex

Enlightened
I got to play with a p2d today and that thing is bright.Slippery though.I lost my L1dce partly because it was slippery.Could someone maybe take an existing light like the p2d and machine grooves or texture on it and then re-anodize or maybe some other type of finish to it?Would the cost be to high?maybe someone with a lathe and finish connections or resources could start a little side biz.Think of all the lights that could be improved upon.I'd love a fenix with a inova t2 type feel.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think many people use grip-tape, o-rings or bicycle inner tube(ask your local store for discarded ones) to increase the grip of their slippery lights. That would be a cheaper alternative.

I'm not sure about the price of retooling the light.

houtex

Enlightened
grip tape comes off,O-rings move around and the inner tube looks like caca.All nice ideas but just not pleasing to the eye.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Personally, I'd like to see an aftermarket clip that could slip in between the tailcap & body. In a similar fashion to the Novatac clip or the magring.

Such an item would double to allow to allow some extra grip.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of machining and re plating or anodizing, you are just about the cost of a new p2d, but it can be done. There are a lot of machinist here on CPF, maybe you just need a knurl or something simple, Mirage_Man may be able to help.

Bushman5

Enlightened
"O" rings slightly smaller than the flashlight body work great.....add on about 5 or 6 and your good to go.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P2D has a powdercoat finish, so if you want it refinished after machining the existing powdercoat will have to be removed first. If you go that far you might as well go with a fully custom finish, maybe a spray-on like Gun Kote or Dura Coat, but be aware that any spray-on finish will dull the edges of any new grip-enhancing features that are machined into the light body.

Personally, I can't see a feasible way to machine the P2D's tube. The material isn't very thick and I'm not even sure it can be knurled. (Not to mention, in order to knurl it, I think a mandrel will have to be machined first, to be inserted into the tube so it doesn't collapse due to pressure from the knurling wheels.)

Your best bet will probably be an add-on; if you prefer an approach more refined than grip tape, perhaps some sort of knurled ring or lanyard loop between the body and tail cap?