New Eneloops, 15 months old, still working!

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Picked up some more AA eneloops at HH Gregg store for $7.99 a 4 pack.
They were made in 07/2006. I was able to take them from the package
and use them in my Digicam Canon A630 and they were still good.
Thats 15 months after their factory charge. I would be thrilled to get
15 DAYS out of some of my Energizer 2500s! This is my 3rd set of Eneloops all still holding there charge very well.
These are great for cameras as before when ever I had to use my camera I had to remember to charge the batteries the night before.

paulr

Flashaholic
It would be great if you've got a set that old and can discharge them on an analyzer or do some similar type of capacity measurement (flashlight runtime test, say). Just because they turn your camera on doesn't mean they're above 20% or whatever. I agree that 20% is better than old nimh would have retained for that long.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a challenge, Rob. Go back to the same HH Greg store and buy some more of the same vintage (what a great price, BTW) then do some sort of objective test on them.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a set of eight Eneloop AA cells from Amazon that are 13 years old (2006-09) Waiting for the Cadex battery analyzer for work to arrive as it is on order. You don't think I would use a BC900 would you? ;)

I'll do a discharge, then a forming charge and two cycles to see what my new cells can do. I'll keep ya posted.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I have a set of eight Eneloop AA cells from Amazon that are 13 years old (2006-09) Waiting for the Cadex battery analyzer for work to arrive as it is on order. You don't think I would use a BC900 would you? ;)

I'll do a discharge, then a forming charge and two cycles to see what my new cells can do. I'll keep ya posted.

13 years, eh? :laughing:

Marduke

Flashaholic
math isnt my game, but this doesnt subtract up.
i was trying to figure out how you got 13 year old enloops, when i realised something is off a bit here.

It's not that hard people. Math is right, just a brain fart. 13 months, not years.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I do have access to both bc900 and the maha9000 or whatever its called...I dont trust it as its an earlier model and slot one never terminated its charge one time. Glad I was there to pull the battery out.

I have 3 sets all of this vintage, but the first 2 sets have been in use now
for 8 months or so without problems. I doubt these will have any problems. I went ahead and charged them in my Panasonic BC-390 and I expect them to be fine when I pull out that camera in a month or more.

Just picked up the multi pak from Costco. The "out of box" open circuit Voltage of all eight AA's was between 1.298 and 1.300 as measured on a Fluke 87 model III. That's not a misprint nor a mis-measurement. Two one thousands of a Volt between the low and high across 8 batts. Wow.

I also measured short circuit current (flash amp'd) between 13.25 and 13.73 Amps FWIW.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
13 years, eh? :laughing:

Time for a group hug!
My name is bent and my brain exceeds my ability to type! Yeah, I meant months instead of years although keeping up with technology equals a blur. It is tough to look at that 8-pack of Eneloop AA cells and impatiently waiting for that Cadex 7400ER battery analyzer to arrive. :(
WARNING! My post are written by a total geek playing with LEDs, batteries and curcuits for the last five years. You must take this into account (no life clause)

h2xblive

Enlightened
Time for a group hug!
My name is bent and my brain exceeds my ability to type! Yeah, I meant months instead of years although keeping up with technology equals a blur. It is tough to look at that 8-pack of Eneloop AA cells and impatiently waiting for that Cadex 7400ER battery analyzer to arrive. :(
WARNING! My post are written by a total geek playing with LEDs, batteries and curcuits for the last five years. You must take this into account (no life clause)

It's all good. I was just teasing. I think we all knew what you meant. :twothumbs