4D Mag dropin - Anyone seen it?

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
INRETECH QUADLITE 4x160 Lumen 4 D Maglight Bulb

Seen this rather expensive (£75 GBP) dropin from a UK site

Not sure RE the heat build up being that the pcb is exposed etc.

Are there any better, cheaper ones out there?

1st post so sorry if any rules/guides have been trodden on.

Your disclaimer is not valid, please familiarise yourself with the rules first...
Bart

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IMO a better option would be to make a Quad Cree/Seoul mod, more real output. This is due to the 2x efficiency(or more with the better bins) of the Cree XR-E P4-Q5 and Seoul P4 LEDs.

Or if you want to buy that module, modify it with the newer LEDs for more output. It doesn't seem to be that hard.

:welcome:

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
Damn I hate tapatalk. Pressed wrong button, please delete.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess inretech isn't around these days (inretech.net goes to "hillsboro wifi" now, I did inquire there).

So I've got a custom Inretech Quadlite from, well, too long ago. It's four amber Luxeon K2s.
Worked great for years in a 4-D M@g til (cough) somebody (cough) put in NiMH cells instead of alkalines and overheated it a bit.
One of the LEDs now drops to less than half bright (like the owner ...) after a few minutes.

I realize there's not much heat-sinking in a M@g head, but this is built on a big slab of aluminum, at least. Custom circuit board, four LEDs, four resistors, sticky-pad between LED and circuit board and underneath between circuit board and aluminum, for some heat transfer.

So -- an antique from the dark ages of LED flashlights. I might try to improve it, so since I found this old but very short topic, figured I'd see if anyone else has a QuadLite or recalls doing anything with them.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure whether this drop-in is even relevant anymore now that we have brighter (and cheaper) XM-L2 drop-ins from Malkoff.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, it's not relevant except to anyone who has one already -- and might want to improve it.
That would be me, and possibly someone else.

Can't just landfill this stuff. It's big enough to easily get at the solder points to change emitters and add a driver.
I've got some Malkoff dropins on other lights, but this one's tempting to improve on.