Flashlight advice

Ads

Newly Enlightened
Hey, i've been viewing this forum for a long time and have never signed in and asked the question i've been researching for ages.

Basically, i've been looking for a new torch (thats what we generally call flashlights here in the UK) for ages to replace my rubbishy 2AA Maglite.

Now here are the specs I need.

It's got to look good
Battery life got to be quite good
It's got to be durable and last a while
It's got to be ideally around $100 but that can change
Brightness needs to defiantly + the maglite a lot.

Needs to be accessible to buy in or ship to the UK.

Last point: Batteries. 123A Lithium's are very hard to get in the UK. Anyone know where to get them cheap or anything that requires different batteries.

Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Fenix range of lights will suit your needs well.

The L2T v2.0 for simplicity or the L2D-CE Q5 or Rebel 100(Q5 is a bit brighter but the rebel has better Color rendering) if you need modes.

Low of the L2D-CE runs for over 55 hours on alkaline batteries and is brighter overall then the Minimag. Turbo has more then twice the output of the Maglite 4D.

The price you see at Feinix store includes shipping and there is also a coupon for 8% off at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

:welcome: Well, the interactive part of it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point I'd say you're looking at Fenix. The L2T V2 will be about the same size as your Maglite, run on the same batteries, but put out much more light, even on it's lower energy saving level. The light's higher level will be very very bright. https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=335&osCsid=4018b576bba1a8d7df1395f67a14c66b
+1 for the L2T v2.0 RB80 (2AA).
Also look at the shorter Fenix L1T V2.0 RB80 (1AA). Much easier to carry in a pocket.

AA mini maglight about 8 lumens
L1T/L2T v2.0 RB80 low 15 lumens or 2X brightness
L1T v2.0 RB80 high 90 lumens or 11X brightness
L2T v2.0 RB80 high 140 lumens or 17X brightness

The reason I keep using the full name is there are 3 versions of the lights and the older ones are still available.
1st there is the original L1T/L2T with a Luxeon LED.
2nd the L1T/L2T v2.0 with a Luxeon LED.
Now the latest L1T/L2T v2.0 RB80 with a Luxeon Rebel LED.
Make sure you get the right one

Another light to consider is the Fenix L0D CE (1AAA battery) which is small enough to fit on a keychain. Battery runtime is poor on high but you will get over 1-1/2 hours on medium. Medium the default setting is 16 lumens 2X the minimag AA. High is 46 roughly 6X the minimag.

In an incan minimag the light dims as the batteries wear down. The 3 Fenixes have regulation circuits which keep the light bright until the batteries are exhausted.

To find UK retailers google Fenix L1T .co.uk I saw quite a few. Of course you can buy from Fenix-store or Lighthound and fight UK CUSTOMS yourself.

Reviews:
Fenix L1T v2 RB80 Comparison Review
Fenix L0D-CE Comparison Review
Fenix L0D-CE
Fenix L0D CE runtimes
-----

KeyGrip remove the &osCsid=4018b576bba1a8d7df1395f67a14c66b from your link. That is your personal ID at the Fenix store.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've also hear there are Rebel 100 LEDs in some of the L1/2T V2.0 lights, that would give approximately 20% more light. It the luck of the draw.

I'd go with the Fenix.

The WF-606 looks like a Minimag and has a Cree LED. But there have be reports of a too soft clickie. It is dimmer then the Fenix lights but good for the price.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome:

Before the myriad of suggestions come in, let me ask you:

What are you going to use the light for? Not much sense in me recommending a handheld light if you're going caving, for example. ;)

Check the CPF Specials link in my sigline for links to vendors with good quality and cheap 123 batteries (and more).

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
check out olight or jetbeam both have a high output AA light - i dont have the jetbeam yet, but i do have the olight (sorry model # escapes me) and i love it

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Last point: Batteries. 123A Lithium's are very hard to get in the UK. Anyone know where to get them cheap or anything that requires different batteries.

For cheaper CR123A batteries, try 7dayshop.com. They currently have 10 Panasonic 123A's for £10.99.

+1 on the Fenix range of lights. They offer great value for their output.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ads, welcome to CPF!

My suggestion is that you get yourself a Fenix L2D CE Q5 and that you get it here in Europe:

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/

Lights cost a bit more but they have already gone through customs and are clear of all relevant duties, loss of time, etc. Shipment is included in the price and you receive your purchase in 2-3 days.:cool:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since CR123s are hard to come by and expensive in UK, might you consider getting a LED light with a rechargeable options for guilt free lumens. You will be able to enjoy using your lights more.

Next, you need to specify the needs of the light. With that a proper recommendation can then be given to suit your needs. No point spending your hard earned money on something that not suited to your illumination needs.

Finally, welcome to CPF, do look around the site for the information that you need.....and have fun!

Ads

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ads, welcome to CPF!

My suggestion is that you get yourself a Fenix L2D CE Q5 and that you get it here in Europe:

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/

Lights cost a bit more but they have already gone through customs and are clear of all relevant duties, loss of time, etc. Shipment is included in the price and you receive your purchase in 2-3 days.:cool:

Thanks very much for the link!

Also, is this light any good? http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=40

Also, I will be using the light for general light. From around the house to outside while camping etc.

:D Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Im leaning towards the Fenix L1D so far but I can't seem to find if it has the button at the end or not. Anyone know?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
EVERY Fenix features the end switch

You still did not specify Your needs, so I advise a
Fenix L2D, because its a bit smaller than the MM, offers more light options, runs on the number and kind of cells You are used to, is brighter and offers more runtime then the much smaller L1D
(PS: use Ni-Mhs with Your fenix)

I dont know that light You posted, so can not say anything to the machining. From the pics and from the description it looks very good and the 18650 Li-Ion cell is great, 2 levels also (thats a minimum).
I would not like it because its too big for my taste and because I like to have my lights to be pocketable (= no sharp edges)

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Surefire 6PL - the output will blow the Maglite away, it looks great (in my opinion, but then I have a thing for the P series...) and the runtime is very respectable.

It does use CR123a batteries, but I also live in the UK and I don't mind it at all. I tend to order a load from the US, which works out at a very reasonable price (ranging anywhere from $1 for chinese batteries, to around $1.86 for SF123a) and I order in such a quantity that I don't have to worry about placing multiple orders throughout the year to keep myself stocked up. Just order some batteries with the torch (I wouldn't suggest buying in the UK) and you're good to go :thumbsup: You'll be getting a light of outstanding quality that will last more than a lifetime.

If the battery issue is still a problem, then I would second the suggestions for a Fenix light. I only have experience with the (old) L1T and L2DCE, but the quality seems reasonable and the output is impressive. Much easier to get hold of in the UK, and runs on AA cells.

Regards,
Tempest

Windscale

Enlightened
You ought to go through some of the places referred to in the thread below and you may be able to find a torch and batteries at reasonable prices.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point I'd say you're looking at Fenix. The L2T V2 will be about the same size as your Maglite, run on the same batteries, but put out much more light, even on it's lower energy saving level. The light's higher level will be very very bright. https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=335&osCsid=4018b576bba1a8d7df1395f67a14c66b

I've been wanting one for a while, and now that I've had a taste of the rebel (MTE from DX) its even worse. I just can't swallow paying $50 for a light when a $20 light works just fine. For me.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight is also a good light, order them direct here.

All Fenix AA and CR123 lights(except the P1, P1CE and Civictor) all have tail clickies.

For you uses, any of the lights recommended would work. I would pick the Fenix Cree/Rebel models or the Dereelight CL1H.

Windscale

Enlightened
Try posts 41 and 42 of the thread below. You can get torches and batteries at reasonable from them in the UK.