Tiablo A9 Q5 or Malkoff 3C for throw?

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
Looking for a throw light for fun/wow factor. Would the Q5 of the Tiablo provide better throw? Or the Malkoff with the larger Mag reflector? Oh, and I was wondering what the difference between the A9 and A8 are.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck getting a Malkoff. There are about 563 other CPFers trying to get one as well.
The difference between the Tiablo A8 and A9 as far as I can tell is the A8 has better regulation for 18650, whereas the A9 is better for 2X CR123.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I have a Malkoff in a 2D configured with 3Cs and from what I have read here, the Tiablo A9 beats the Malkoff in throw by some. I was saving up to get a A9 but there are 2 members here (WadeF and Fastcar) that have posted reviews on the DereeLight DBS say this out throws them all. Now I have a new light im saving up for. :)
But I will not get rid of the Malkoff...I love this light.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears the new throw king is the Dereelight DBS, for a single LED thrower. Runs on 18650 batteries. Currently there is a Q4 3-stage module, that out performs the Tiablo Q5's thanks to the incredible reflector in the DBS, but Q5's should also be available soon. The nice thing with the DBS is you can by upgraded pills when new emitters become availble. So you could get the Q4 now, and a Q5 later, or wait for an R-bin down the road.

The Malkoff is nice to have in a mag for an emergancy light, long run times in a 3 or 4D mag, can feed it D batteries if you don't have power to recharge your rechargable lights, etc.

You can order direct from here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169676

lightfire

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have both. The Tiablo out-throws the Malkoff. But I didn't buy them for the same purpose and wouldn't want to give either of them up.
I bought the A9 from PTS and with the discount it is priced similar to the DBS. Even if the DBS out throws the A9 all I can say is that there will always be flashlights that are bigger/better/faster or in our case smaller/better/brighter and at this point we have no idea if the DBS or the Tiablo is the better light. If you got just the A9 I bet you would be a happy camper! Probably would be a happy camper if you bought just the Malkoff or the DBS also.

Last edited:

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
Well, I guess I'll see if I can get a Malkoff next run (it's always fun to have a "sleeper" and for cheaper too), if not I'll go for a Tiablo or a DBS depending on how long I want to wait for shipping. Sucks that Dereelights come from HK, any idea about how long it would take to get to California?

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
They throw about the same - very well indeed.:D

The Malkoff is focussable and has longer run times.

The Tiablo is much lighter - and is small enough to slip into your pocket.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
They throw about the same - very well indeed.:D

The Malkoff is focussable and has longer run times.

The Tiablo is much lighter - and is small enough to slip into your pocket.

Specifications:
Cree 7090 XR-E LED Q5 WC bin - as good as it gets!
Step down constant current driver, High efficiency with dual mode DC-DC regulator (PWM / PFM), working voltage is 2.7V to 10V. Replace battery when the light is too dim.
Two stage output. High output: 1A at maximum 256 Lumens for about 3.5 hours Low output: 300mA at 60 Lumens for 8 hours (runtimes based on Li-Ion 18650 battery)
42 mm diameter x 33 mm deep reflector provides greater efficient illumination over longer distances.
Supports three sizes battery, one 18650 Li-ion battery, two pcs CR123A or RCR123A battery.
Type-III hard anodize. Aircraft aluminum T7075.
Water proof to 5m/15ft.
Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating.
Tactical clicky switch: Low-High-Off.
Length 158mm, Head diameter: 45mm, Weight: 155g(battery excluded)
Will stand in candle-mode.
Anti-roll ring makes it safer to put on desk or table.
6.2 inch long, Aircraft aluminum (T7075) :twothumbs

sims2k

Enlightened
Hi,
I have both. The Tiablo out-throws the Malkoff. But I didn't buy them for the same purpose and wouldn't want to give either of them up.
I bought the A9 from PTS and with the discount it is priced similar to the DBS. Even if the DBS out throws the A9 all I can say is that there will always be flashlights that are bigger/better/faster or in our case smaller/better/brighter and at this point we have no idea if the DBS or the Tiablo is the better light. If you got just the A9 I bet you would be a happy camper! Probably would be a happy camper if you bought just the Malkoff or the DBS also.

I am buying the Dereelight DBS and the CL1H for two reason ... great light and simple upgradablity any time a new emitter comes out without buying a whole new light.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I have both, a Tiablo A9S and the Malkoff Drop-In. My Malkoff host is a 2D
with a deanodized tailcap, so I can use either 3 nimh C cells (3.6v 4500mah)
or 2 of AW's protected Li-Ion cells. (The Li-Ion batteries are wired in
parallel, so it's a 3.6v 6600mah pack).

Obviously, the A9S is the smaller of the two lights:

What is not so obvious is that the A9S has a longer, deeper reflector optimized for the Q5:

The A9S wins hands down in brightness and throw, at 4.0 volts and higher. But it is also true the A9S is not a fully regulated light. (Specified operating
range is 2.7-10v). With a Li-Ion cell at 3.8 volts, the Malkoff and the A9S are pretty much at the same level. For maximum brightness, the A9S is better off with CR123 or RCR123 cells.

My gut feeling is that if the Mag had a reflector designed for a LED, it may well equal the A9S. (I also have the Mag fitted the a borofloat lens, something I do with all of my Mags).