Rechargeable investigation lights?

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Not the usual question, but here it is.

What are some excellent choices in a rechargeable (Incan or LED) for use in evidence collection, crime scene investigations, and similar close scrutiny of surroundings in dark corners, or even in the absence of light?

bones_708

Enlightened
Have you seen the real thing? Those guys are just as likely to use yellow plastic 2d flashlights as anything else.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Rechargeable as in cradle charge or as in can use rechargeable batteries?

Most of them don't use quality lights so even many of the cheaper DX lights have better quality then what they are currently using. But the cheap lights do get the job done and I think that's why they use them.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multicolours would be a must. It's amazing what UV will show up, and varying light colours would be useful, too, I imagine.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
The police supply store near where I work sells Streamlight exclusively. I have a Streamlight Stinger, and it is nice and bright, and uses a cradle type recharger. The LAPD academy sells Surefire lights as well as Streamlight.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
These will use rechargeable cells - if you want a wide dispersion without much of a hot spot - Streamlight 4AA LED ( has 7 LED's and makes a wide beam that spreads a lot ) Pelican makes a similar light # 2440 ( 5 LED's ) Streamlight also makes a 3 C version.

If you are crawling around on your hands and knees looking at stuff by your nose then the Streamlight ProPoly 2AA LED would be nice. Not so much light that you will be uncomfortable with a real bright hot spot.

Close by a real hot beam is not so good. My ProPoly 4AA Luxon is not so good for close up. When I use my Fenix L2D-CE close up it is at the Low or Med settings.

A light with multi-levels would be good also - high for reaching across a room and low when working up close.

mb