To Cree or not to Cree...THAT is the question.

Enlightened
So I am about to order a couple of L2Ds. The Q5 versions are supposed to be out on Monday. So now I've got to decide which one to get. The lights primary purpose will probably be to be zip tied to a helmet and used for caving where they will be supplementing a PT Apex modded with a P4, reflector, and FastCar's diffuser. I have a P3D Rebel for EDC usage.

The brightness difference is small enough that I doubt I would be able to tell the difference. The lights will mainly be used on medium or high most of the time, probably not a whole lot of either low or turbo. So the decision is going to come down to tint and durability.

I know the Cree is supposed to be a little more consistent in it's tint between the low and higher levels but since I won't be running on low a whole lot I don't think I doubt that is a major concern. I like the tint on my P3D Rebel pretty good (except low which just looks a bit sickly, almost slightly brownish even, if that makes sense). I've never owned a Cree-based light, the P3D was my first "real" light. People say that the Crees often have a slightly greenish tint, but how noticeable is it really and are they significantly cooler (tint-wise) than a Rebel? Also what about longevity and durability? Is one more prone to degradation than the other?

Also out of curiosity, the Fenix lights all state waterproof to IPX8 standards but doesn't actually give the pressure or time it was tested against. I don't necessarily plan on taking any of my lights diving, but I would like to know if I could should I ever go again.

Edit: yeah, I know it's getting to be something of a dead horse and I admit I probably should have posted this into one of the existing threads. I just couldn't resist the catchy title though. :)

Last edited:

liquidsix

Enlightened
I think IPX8 standards means that it can withstand a depth of 8 meters for half an hour.

Enlightened

Yep, sure have. I'm pretty sure I posted in there somewhere or in a few threads very like it at least. I ordered a couple of neutral tint P4s from photonfanatic today along with a 20mm reflector. I got two since I had to pad the order out to be > $20 and figured it would be good to have a 2nd one in case I fry the first one anyways. If I don't kill it I'll offer the extra one to someone from my local grotto for their Apex.

Thanks for that link, Essexman. I don't know if I will get a reply, but I sent an email to Fenix support asking about the exact details of the IPX8 rating. I figure they've got to have it floating around somewhere as long as they didn't just pull it out of their ***. I will let you guys know if I get a reply.

Incidentally, after talking to both Trevor and David, I went ahead and had them put me down for the Q5. The real deciding factor for me was that David told me that unlike the Q5 which is a specific manufacturing process or bin or whatever, the Rebel covers a range of tech as it's more of a brand name (sort of like the Intel Pentium 4 moniker encompassed a range of different chips) and that it's possible to get a Rebel based on the older Luxeon tech, which would, in my book, suck a big one. Hopefully they'll get them in on Monday like they're scheduled to. If not by Tuesday I am probably going to have to have him change the order back to Rebels to make sure I get it before Friday.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the crees myself. Output variances and tints be damned. :crazy: I get the impression that Cree emitters are more robust than Rebels. I bought a rebel Fenix and its okay, but I really don't see any advantages over a Cree.

Enlightened
I'd go with the crees myself. Output variances and tints be damned. :crazy: I get the impression that Cree emitters are more robust than Rebels. I bought a rebel Fenix and its okay, but I really don't see any advantages over a Cree.

Well if you read my last post you'll see that's exactly what I have done, assuming that they come in by Tuesday.