Why so few flashlights using the new Osram OSTAR?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new six-die LED is pretty impressive. Is there any other falshlight using this LED besides ArcMania and Fox Fury? Where are the Chinese manufacturers? Are they sleeping on this?

I wish SureFire would come up with an upgraded L6 using the OSTAR...

Cool Beamshots-- see this monster in action:
http://www.customlightfactory.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
1) because it is difficult to focus
2) because it is less efficient than the EZ1000
3) because it is expensive like hell
4) because most lights do not need so many lumens :D

However ... I can dream up some speciality lights that are quite impressive ... :D

bernie

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) because it is difficult to focus
2) because it is less efficient than the EZ1000
3) because it is expensive like hell
4) because most lights do not need so many lumens :D

However ... I can dream up some speciality lights that are quite impressive ... :D

bernie
Yeah, I know it's not the most efficient LED in the market and it is expensive indeed. But this is CPF, it's a niche. Just like a lot of stuff we buy in the CPF market place. I strongly believe that the vast majority of users would be quite happy with the brightness and runtime provided by a Li-Ion or lithium powered light with an OSTAR.
It would made a great alternative to the incan hotwires and high-powered tactical lights like the SureFire Combat Millenium lights. Can you image an L6 with just 3 cells taking the place of an M6+MN21? I mean, we are talking about a SINGLE emitter capable of doing the same job as 6 clusters of the brightest LEDs available today. This is HID territory in terms of brightness.

Cheers

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
the OSTAR is a very odd shaped LED, a lot more effort to focus...

i was gonna ask a similar question expect "why no cree warm-white LED flashlights".

incandescents are great for the outdoors and do better than brighter LED lights.

an example, while on a camping trip, the Surefire G2 with used batteries (~60lumens)seemed to give similar results when compared to the Fenix P1D-CE on high with fresh batteries(~110lumens.)
both were pointed and the woods which were ~40 ft away.

i was wondering if the warm-white LEDs, even though it is less lumens/watt, might be better than the cool-white LEDs for outdoor lighting?

has anyone even tried the new Cree warm-whites?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
true, it will take more effort but ,it can be focused, but as Kiessling pointed out, that is but one of the factors.

the Foxfury is ~$1000 and the Arcmania is ~$900, so cost is another main factor.

maybe if the OSTAR was as effiecient as the cree/seouls (which continually seem to be improving)..:)

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
an example, while on a camping trip, the Surefire G2 with used batteries (~60lumens)seemed to give similar results when compared to the Fenix P1D-CE on high with fresh batteries(~110lumens.)
both were pointed and the woods which were ~40 ft away.

This difference is simply a matter of focus, not tint. The Fenix has a small reflector and is simply not much of a thrower despite its high output. None of the Fenix lights are. I have a Cree-modded Surefire L6 that easily matches the throw of the P60 incan lamp on non-depleted batteries.

I prefer warmer-tinted LEDs for aesthetic reasons, but I have never seen evidence that tint can turn a beam that throws poorly into one that throws well.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
A huge amount of resource and money has gone into the develeopment of reflectors and optics to harness the light of single die LEDs, this cost of all this activity is spread across a huge volume of flashlights sold.

Lights like the Fox and the ArcMania have been built up from scratch to match the OSTARs capabilities, this significant cost is spread out over a much small volume of units - therefore each light contains a proportionately higher R&D cost passed onto the pricetag.

There are many great single die LED lights, but they are to some extent standing on the sholuders of giants, building on innovations of previous generations. I'd like to think that there will be many lights using the multi die LEDs in the future, and they will be standig on the shoulders of Arc Mania and Fox. The price will drop rapidly as production and sales volume increase.

My 2 pennies.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
how is the efficiency of the osram?
are we talking like the luxeon's, which i will never buy again.
cause four of them just wouldn't impress me, i'd rather have a custom multi-cree light.

also, can we get a link to these existing osram's you refer to?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a host waiting for the new Lux V or the ostar, or whatever, but
  • there is no New Lux V by now
  • the Ostar sucks, but not because of the points mentionned (which are also true, unfortunately), no, Osram, by now, does not grant anything, You pay for the super-lucky-production-best-part, but not bin, nor tint is fixed.
    Could end up with an white-green 450 lumen part, for the price of the superwhite 1200 Lumen one
:(

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

maxilux

Enlightened
Wow !!! What is that ??? i feel from my chair, where can i get this? What is the price for it ?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Not sure what everyone's definition of efficient is, but in low mode the SF V gets 6.5(not a typo) hours of runtime at constant brightness. Low mode is about as bright, if not brighter than my Surefire L6 Seoul mod. Turbo mode(1000 lumen) is estimated to run for 1 hour.

Daekar

Enlightened
This difference is simply a matter of focus, not tint. The Fenix has a small reflector and is simply not much of a thrower despite its high output. None of the Fenix lights are. I have a Cree-modded Surefire L6 that easily matches the throw of the P60 incan lamp on non-depleted batteries.

I prefer warmer-tinted LEDs for aesthetic reasons, but I have never seen evidence that tint can turn a beam that throws poorly into one that throws well.

This is partially right - it's a matter of focus, but also because both lights are producing almost the same amount of light. Remember that SureFire rates their output as torch lumens, whereas Fenix rates their lights with emitter lumens. The approximate conversion is 65% of emitter lumens are torch lumens - so the SF G2 is generating approx. 100 bulb-lumens, a paltry 10 lumens difference from the claimed output of the Fenix, which is almost impossible for your eyes to notice at that total output. SF lights really are better than people give them credit for.