Please Enlighten Me!

donn_

Flashaholic
I'm pretty new to this stuff, and have been reading the various forums, vendor websites and other resources in an effort to make a decision on my first EDC light. So far, I keep asking myself more questions than I answer. All I've decided is the EDC will be powered by an LED.

One of the things I'm doing, as a part of my education, is reading all the B/T/S threads, both here and on the Marketplace, and trying to soak up a little product knowledge. I'm also reading all the reviews I can lay my hands on, and reading threads on mods and lego and what-all.

As of a couple of days ago, I thought I was fairly well settled on a Surefire (mainly due to the raves on this forum) 6P Defender, with a Malkoff drop-in (if it'll work in the light.) I like the simplicity, and the clickie tail-switch.

Today, however, while browsing threads in the Marketplace, I came across one in which a forum veteran is selling an HDS EDC 42 Basic, for $100. He doesn't give much info on the brand or the model, so I researched it. I really like the form-factor and the simplicity, and it appears to be as tank-like in its construction as Surefires.

My first question is simple. Why would someone pay $100 for this light, when an extra $10 gets more than twice the brightness in a brand new light which appears to be a direct successor to the HDS, a Novatac EDC 85? Is it collector's value, or is the HDS that much better than the Novatacs?

My second question is probably more complicated. How do I decide between rechargeable and throw-away power for my EDC? I lean toward recharging, for economy purposes and general green-thinking, but will I be sacrificing performance? Are there safety issues? If a flashlight calls for a CR123 battery, can I always assume I could use a rechargeable alternative?

I suppose I should note that my uses for an EDC will be primarily boat oriented. I live on the water, and spend a great deal of dark-time out on my boats. I have upgraded Maglites and other long-term use lights on the boats, but invariably find myself needing a small light for a short time. I'll almost always be near spare batteries/charging equipment.

Any advice, suggestions or thoughts will be gratefully appreciated.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !

I have owned an HDS EDC B42 and presently have a U60GT. (Have Seoul P4's in several lights that I use and prefer Seoul to all others)

Prefer the "U", as it can easily be programmed for a "low" to be the 1st setting upon activation.

The HDS Basic, normally lights to brightest setting when turned on.

HDS lights are rugged and good lights............however, even though I don't have one, would recommend Novatac "P" series for a "new" user.

The LED in a Novatac is a Seoul P4, that is much brighter, has a nicer tint and has good spill and brightness vs the Luxeon in the B42. Specifications = 66 feet waterproof. "P" unit will allow either High or Low ( or other mode)
upon activation. Most review of Novatec are very positive and IMO the cost is very justifiable for features.

I'm sure many Novatac users will comment!

Good Luck, in my experience the 1st flashlight purchase only leads to 2nd and 3rd..................and.......:)

jeffb

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac are good performers and many here think they at about the same build quality as the HDS. My advice would be to go for the Novatac for easier customer service as well as brightness. The HDS would have to have an emitter swap to have the same brightness as a new Novatac.
From what I gather when HDS was bought by Novatac they took on the responsibility for servicing HDS's but it might be easier to have a Novatac light seviced if need be.
In terms of battteries, the Novatacs/HDS's are great because they automatically step down in brightness to save battery power. At the first sign of a step down is when I swap out for a new battery. The light works well on either rechargeables or primaries. Rechargeable are cheaper to use but you do get a little decrease in runtimes vs primaries. They are safe to use as long as you research how to use them properly and you buy a reputable brand such as CPF member AW's.
The thing about the user interface that is good is that it can be a simple light to use because all the bells and whistles are accessed through a menu unlike other lights where you have to cycle throught modes such as SOS or storbe to get back and forth from low to high. They are very well built and would serve you well IMO.