opinions on NEXTORCH GT6A

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am a newbie to this forum and would like advice /opinions on this model it seems pretty good and well priced £16-95 in this country.I require a small really bright light that would be used for dog walking at night /general pocket /emergency light
Cheers guys

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Screwball, and welcome to CPF,
Hmmm...... looks like a nice light, here is a link for those who would like to see it:

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=1928

Of course, it uses a 6 volt Xenon bulb, which will probably need to be replaced periodically, and since you posted this on the LED forum of CPF I feel obliged to provide you with an excellent LED equivalent alternative:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/g2-led-.html

I hope you enjoy looking around CPF. There is a LOT of information here, but if that isn't enough, here are some excellent flashlight review sites:

http://www.lightreviews.info/

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm

http://www.cpfreviews.com/

http://flashlightnews.org/

Happy hunting.

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help please excuse the ignorance until recently my idea of flashlight technology was a bog standard mini maglite.I have upgraded to an led mini mag 2AA

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Screwball,
Well, I only found CPF about a year ago, so I'm pretty new too. Hey, an upgraded 2xAA LED mini-mag is an excellent start. Also, a lot of the folks here at CPF have reasons for wanting to use Xenon bulbs, such as better color rendition, very bright output, etc..... so it's nice to have choices.

One of the ways we try to determine which lights to pick is to list the kinds of uses we will have for the light, and what attributes we feel it should have.

For instance, if somebody wanted a general purpose, around the house, dog walking kind of light, we might suggest something different than if they wanted something for rock climbing, or scuba diving, or reading maps in a car. Many folks want to be able to use rechargeable batteries, so that must be considered. Some want a light capable of spotting an owl sitting in a tree at 200 feet, so we would suggest something completely different.

Ok, don't be in a hurry, just keep reading and pretty soon you will begin to pick up the lingo here and it will become easier to sort through all the information to find what you actually need to help you find the right light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Quick LED 101:

The newer LEDs, Cree XR-E, Seoul P4 and Rebel 100 LEDs are twice as efficient as the Luxeon III used in the MinimagLED. The mimimag LED produces 40 Lumens max out the front. The MTE Seoul produced at least 40 lumen out the front(the new ones are probably in the 60 lumen range).

The LEDs them selves can produce over 200 Lumen if driven correctly.

For your tasks(general purpose), I think the WF-606 or 3W Seoul should be fine.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for that. I ahve found the mini mag good at close quarters but it loses quite a bit over distance I recently had the chance to compare it to a Surefire G2 needless to say it lost out rather badly
But I paid £18-00 for mine as opposed to £30-00 for his G2

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, if you plan on a whole new light, how about the WF-400 or WF-600(more throw but larger) with 2 18650 batteries and charger. The WF-400 with batteries and charger is around$40 USD shipped and the WF-600 with batteries and charger is around $45 UDS shipped.

Both should beat the G2 in throw(but they are larger and quality is not the same as the G2) and you get then whole set with out having to worry about buying batteries.

Or maybe a Mini 3W Cree with 2 RCR123 batteries and charger. Pretty good throw, but will get beaten easily by the WF-600. Total is $30 USD shipped.

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
The WF600 looks great and the package is very affordable but I will check that the charger is compatable with UK voltages I live in deepset darkest Scotland
Thanks for the help

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Cheers ,thanks for the help how do you reckon the 6oo would workout for use by an L.E.O Christmas is coming and I'm sure that Santa can give a useful present this year

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would not recommend the WF-600 for a LEO.

Reasons:

Reliability in a an abusive/high stress situation.
Special batteries.
Switch is a reverse clickie.

Mainly the switch and the quality aren't suitable for LEO use. Fine for normal use, but bad for LEO use. For a good light for a LEO, you are looking at lights over $50.

It might work as a back-up light but not as a primary light.

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be a pest but could you recommend something suitable that preferrably runs on AA for ease of supply but there is always the bulk buy option on the internet
Cheers

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't worry about it, I like to answer questions.

Something with AA, decent power and I'm guessing less then $50 USD.

Humm, well the Fenix L2T V2.0 with the forward clicke seem to fit the task. Don't forget the 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Thank you I will have a look and wiegh up the cost between getting one in the UK and getting one shipped to the UK
I know my Maglite was about £17-00 sterling cheaper getting it sent from the USA by a friend
The prices in this country are enough to make a grown man:mecry:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix Store includes shipping price so the L2T V2.0 would be about 22 pound shipped to the UK with the coupon.

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Fenix Store includes shipping price so the L2T V2.0 would be about 22 pound shipped to the UK with the coupon.
YEE HAWW What a deal I can't believe how much I have benefitted from spending 5 minutes registering in this forum.
Thanks for your help Gunner

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad I could help.

Enjoy you new light!

The batteries go positive end first for both the WF-600 and L2T V2.0. No reverse polarity protection that I know of.

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Gunner
I will provide a full report once they have been fully road tested the WF600 for the house and the fenix for Xmas gift