Fenix P1 Series Lights

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
I'm a reletively new flashaholic, and am in the need (OK, desire) to purchase a Fenix P1 series light. As much as I prefer a clickie, I like the small size of the P1 lights. Before I buy, I do have a few questions:
  • Are the different models of the P1 lights spot or flood? I prefer spot, and to that point, my old Inova T2 is my EDC - I love the tight spot!
  • I don't have a need for the multiple levels of output, strobe, and SOS mode, and I don't want to have to cycle through multiple twists of the switch to get the high output I want. I do, however, want the most output I can get. How does the output (throw?) of the P1D-CE, -CEQ5, and single output level P1 compare to the old (TIROS) Inova T2?
  • How is the build quality of the P1 lights?
Thank you for your help.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF

Fenix's lights are a decent mix of throw and flood. They will have much more flood than your Inova.

I don't know how the T2 rates output wise, but there's a good chance the CE and Q5 lights will be brighter.

Fenix's build quality is good.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Tristar! I live in Bellevue. I'll leave the answers to the others for now, have fun!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
-the p1 is a spot type beam with a nice mild flood around it. very useful.
-its a single level, and its output will blow a t2 right out of the water. its amazing what that little light can do.
-the build quality is great i like them alot. its not massively over built like an inova, but more thought out, its built smarter, not harder/heavier.

Richard L

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P1 CE: small, simple, elegant, bright, good throw, decent flood. Everybody who has seen mine wants one. Mine has the natural finish. I carry it loose in a pocket together with a pocket knife and some change, and it hasn't gotten any scratches.

Richard

savumaki

Enlightened
Fenix P1 CE: small, simple, elegant, bright, good throw, decent flood. Everybody who has seen mine wants one. Mine has the natural finish. I carry it loose in a pocket together with a pocket knife and some change, and it hasn't gotten any scratches.

Richard

My comments also; I keep losing them to people who have never seen such a great light.
The natural finish holds up well since I also carry mine attached to a U2 pocket knife and is carried loose with change although if it did show minor scratches it would not upset me.
My current one is a cree but you have to have the original side by side with it to be able to tell the difference in output.
I always think it is too 'spotty' but in actual use it poses no problem; great at night checking out the yard for 'critters'. Friends think you have a big two D cell light.
Absolutely great EDC pocket light; small, light, powerfull and the one level that counts, ON and BRIGHT.
AND it runs on R123 bats- cheap lumens.
Try it, you'll like it.

Welcome to CPF.

Karl

Zot

Enlightened
I'm a reletively new flashaholic, and am in the need (OK, desire) to purchase a Fenix P1 series light. As much as I prefer a clickie, I like the small size of the P1 lights. Before I buy, I do have a few questions:
  • Are the different models of the P1 lights spot or flood? I prefer spot, and to that point, my old Inova T2 is my EDC - I love the tight spot!

The older P1s have a smooth reflector. The new ones at the Fenix Store only come with an OP reflector.

I don't have a need for the multiple levels of output, strobe, and SOS mode, and I don't want to have to cycle through multiple twists of the switch to get the high output I want. I do, however, want the most output I can get. How does the output (throw?) of the P1D-CE, -CEQ5, and single output level P1 compare to the old (TIROS) Inova T2?
Only the P1 is single level. The P1Ds are multi level twisties.

• How is the build quality of the P1 lights?
Thank you for your help.
I have a P1 and P1D CE Q5 and I love both of them. They are hard to beat for the price and even much more. You should get one of each ;)

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Went for a P1 Ce single level! David put in a Q2 for me and it's great. I didn't want to get into multi-level twisty action so I went simple. I have heard that this is their best made light QC wise as well. Can't go wrong here!