Question: E1L Outdoorsman

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

This would be my first post.

I'm planning to buy the Surefire E1L, and I'm looking for a light that I can also use for SD. Is the rated 30 lumens on this light enough to temporarliy blind or disorient an agressor? I need your input on this. Thanks!!!:)

Carpenter

Enlightened
:welcome:

I own an E1L. While the 30 lumens (looks like more to me) is bright in a complete dark environment, I would not guarantee it will stop an agressor.

While it may disorient for a few seconds, the question we ask around here is what is your plan "B"? Flashlights can not be thought of as self defense items. They will not protect you if your agressor has a weapon as an example.

There are many more people here with much more experience than I have on this subject, but if you plan on using a flashlight for self defense, you aren't going to get many :thumbsup: from the professionals on this forum.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It's a great light really, but I don't think so since it's so short. What Lumens it takes to disorient someone is a subjective thing with many variables for instance the level of night adapted vision your attacker has. Get a 6P-D for the teeth with a forward clicky and drop in a lighthound cree P60 module for the blinding effect. I say the lighthound module because you could actually buy it today, not wait and wait. Get the 6PD from batterystation and get a 5% discount with code cpf2006 and 8 batteries and shipping free!
:devil:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
first off no light is bright enough to use for SD. have you ever had someone shine even a bright light in your face? its doesnt really do much except **** the person getting "blinded" off. after that he'll kick your ***, alotho with some annoying blue spots in his vision. guns work much better.
its designed for outdoors use and not really as a bright in your face kinda light. if you want that id recommend a surefire g2l.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even close. As MO says, *NO* light is enough for self defense alone. The whole doctrine relies on using a burst of very bright light as part of an integrated response that includes other defense tools. I should add: if you want to include a light as part of a self defense response, you need expert training...this is not a DIY project...

jcompton

Enlightened
first off no light is bright enough to use for SD. have you ever had someone shine even a bright light in your face? its doesnt really do much except **** the person getting "blinded" off. after that he'll kick your ***, alotho with some annoying blue spots in his vision. guns work much better.
its designed for outdoors use and not really as a bright in your face kinda light. if you want that id recommend a surefire g2l.

+1

If you are looking for a self defense tool, perhaps SigForum would be a better choice to start your search. Then look into the Surefire X200a/b or the new X300. Almost any Sig with the X300 should do a very good job of getting your point across! :grin2: