Ikelite, anybody?

moraino

Enlightened
I saw this name from some thread, maybe from Lemlux.

Here I've found this website with dive lite brightness comparison similar to Brock's website. http://www.divernet.com/gear/torch297.htm

It seems some members have good review about UKE SL4. According to the chart, the Ikelite PC is even more impressive, 358 vs 128.

Does anyone owns one of these Ikelite PC or PCa?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moraino:
....Here I've found this website with dive lite brightness comparison similar to Brock's It seems some members have good review about UKE SL4. According to the chart, the Ikelite PC is even more impressive, 358 vs 128. Does anyone owns one of these Ikelite PC or PCa?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

moraino,

Thanks for posting that very informative site. I agree that at first the Ikelite seems far more impressive than the UKE SL4, but a closer reading of the data is revealing.

We know that candlepower is a measure of brightness taken at a selected point within a beam and that a narrow beam will appear brighter than a wider beam. Even though this chart does not use the term "candlepower", it does give beam or hotspot diameters in centimeters. Note that the Ikelite hotspot diameter is only 20cm (at an undetermined distance) while the SL4 hotspot is significantly wider at 32cm. If the Ikelite beam were widened to 32cm its "358" brightness rating would be considerably lower and much closer to the SL4's.

Of course beam diameter isn't the whole story. Note the wattage figures for the two lights: 5.5 for the SL4 and 7.6 for the Ikelite. The Ikelite is pulling 38% greater wattage than the UKE. That combined with its smaller hotspot makes for a more intense beam.

Unfortunately, at this point the "No Free Lunch" principle raises it ugly head. Look at the runtime figures. 270m for the SL4 but only 210 for the Ikelite. That is one hour less burntime, a very significant figure. Considering the inflated runtime figures most manufacturers attribute to their lights, that one hour difference takes on added importance. I'm assuming these figures
are for alkaline batteries which will give longer total runtime than NiMH. Whether you can get a longer bright runtime from the rechargeables remains to be seen.

I have just ordered tie Ikelite PC and will compare it to my UKE SL4.

BTW, I've never understood why we say "UKE" rather than "UK" Is that to distinguish the flashlight company from the country?

Thanks again for that great chart, and I look forward to comparison testing these two lights.

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moraino:

I had posted an item about "brightest small 6AA Flashlight" a day or two ago on the Ikelite PCa.

Here's a link
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001899

It seems this is the favorite light in the review: bright hotspot, but not the narrowest. Very powerful for its size.

This website sells them for $18.95 plus shipping. http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/LeisurePro/macros/searchrslt.d2w/report?start_search=2&and_or=+AND+&sort_by=+prnbr+ASC&prnumber=&prsdescripti on=&ma ns=Ikelite&cats=&prldescription=&x=6&y=12

There is currently a Dutch auction for 10 of these on EBAY. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=182860478 8&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1022080990&indexURL=0&rd=1

I haven't bought one yet, but my resistance is diminishing.

BrightNorm:

As for No Free lunch on run time, that underscores my point that the 1.0 A drain crys out for NiMH's
. A NiMH comparison article posted today underscores the fact that the 1800 mAh NiMh's put out double the watt hours of alkalines at a 1.0 A drain.

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
moraino,

I have just ordered tie Ikelite PC and will compare it to my UKE SL4.

Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for yor reply. It's very true for what you have mentioned about the beam shape and the true light output. These serve as just references.

I can't wait for your coming review for the comparison between SL4 and the PC Lite. Maybe include your ASP TRIAD. I am always interested which one has a longer throw.

By the way, where did you order the PC lite?
I will have to check out the dive shops here in Vancouver. Hopefully they are not too expensive after the exchange rate.

Regards
Henry

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightNorm,
Looks like the seller on Ebay plans to make his profit on shipping. Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears you'll have to pay $12+ shipping. TX

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
[QB]Moraino:

I had posted an item about "brightest small 6AA Flashlight" a day or two ago on the Ikelite PCa.

lemlux
Flashaholic
Member # 1485

I'm pretty sure it comes with a PR base bulb like Ikelite's C cell lights. Imagine running it on NiMH's with a Carley #928 Halogen 7.1 V 1.20 A 8.5 W bulb rated at 16 CP = 198 L in a Carley #912 PR Base.

I haven't bought one yet, but my resistance is diminishing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lemlux,
I hope you're resistence is gone, so you can be my tester. Just kidding, my resistence is wearing too.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Since you have seen the LIGHT, did you notice whether it has that vital aluminum relector? I know the SL4 has one. Of course the SL4 uses bi-pin which won't allow you play around but the PC Lite will, because it has the PR base lamp.

I am wondering will the use of NiMh will make it much dimmer on the Ikelites.

Let me do some research next week.

Regards
Henry

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:

BrightNorm:As for No Free lunch on run time, that underscores my point that the 1.0 A drain crys out for NiMH's
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lemlux,

The big issue for me is the self-discharge rate of NiMH's. That, and the perhaps longer bright runtime but reduced functional runtime compared to alkalines. Even if I'm wrong about bright runtime, that self-discharge rate is a killer

All my lights are "what if" lights, not necessarily used everyday, but depended on to be there when needed.

I see very little about LiIon AA's, C's, etc here. Don't they exist? I realize that they are charge-sensitive, but my cellphone LiIon gets multiply recharged and keeps on ticking with no apparent problems. Is there some basic point that I'm missing? There would seem to be a real market for these batteries. Any thoughts about this?

Brightnorm

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moraino:

Note that the Halogen bulb for the PCa is specced out at 7.2 V. exactly what the NiMH's will deliver and probably what alkalines will be after 5 minutes of use with the voltage drop.

I liked the feel of the light, but I didn't disassemble it to check out the reflector. I'll try to go the dive shop where I saw it at lunch tomorrow.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm:

I'm not a LiIon expert, but I've read a number of posts that suggest that the chemistry is not ideal for high drains. The cost of the batteries is driven up by protective shut-off circuits to protect against overly rapid discharge. You might search the topic.

If you aren't prepared to deal with the self-discharge rate of NiMH's you might consider putting Lithium AA's in the PCa. I'm afraid that six AA lithiums might blow the 7.2 A bulb though. Lithiums will deliver considerably more watt hours than alkalines at 1.0 A.

TxWst

The EBAY seller appears to be asking $7.11 for shipping and insurance. The $4+ number in between is what the cost of shipping the 2nd through 10th items a bidder might win. I haven't determined what shipping charges would be at Leisurepro.com, but I expect it may be more reasonable. You might check them out.
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/LeisurePro/macros/searchrslt.d2w/report?start_search=2&and_or=+AND+&sort_by=+prnbr+ASC&prnumber=&prsdescripti on=&ma[/URL] ns=Ikelite&cats=&prldescription=&x=6&y=12

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moraino:
By the way, where did you order the PC lite?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry,

I'm embarassed to say that I bought it from OnlineScuba without reflection or research, and therefore paid way too much for it. This is not how I usually do things.

Next time I'll probably try Leisurepro.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Brightnorm: I'm not a LiIon expert, but I've read a number of posts that suggest that the chemistry is not ideal for high drains...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lemlux, thanks for the info.

Brightnorm

PS, I just checked out Leisurepro; they look pretty good.

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Henry,

I'm embarassed to say that I bought it from OnlineScuba without reflection or research, and therefore paid way too much for it. This is not how I usually do things.

Next time I'll probably try Leisurepro.

Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've searched a few dive sites and the prices are quite around $30 range. In that sense, you are not paying too much too high.

But when I checked out LeisurePro you mentioned, I was surprised by their low prices.

Look at the price for the UK Light Canon for $139.99, even cheaper than TTS for $168.99.

I guess it's worthwhile to give it a try. It even lists the item status in stock or not. A nice link. http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=972&cgmenbr=946&parentCategory=965

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the dive shop where I saw the Ikelite PCa previously. They're sold out without current plans to reorder. They were in the process of expanding a whole wall display of UKE, Pelican, and SL. The only Ikelite there today is in the replacement bulb area. Market share counts for floor space.

(No, they didn't have a bulb for the PCa for me to analyze -- they just had the HPR 5.2 V 1.25 A 4Cell versions.)

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
The PCa has a plastic reflector. The maker warns against prolonged use out of water . The base of the bulb heats up fairly rapid in mine,also the hole for the bulb is only large enough for halogen bulbs. If need be, this could be easily modified. It is focused via shim washers. I can never get mine to focus well enough to eliminate the filaments and shadows.

The light is a very nice size. The switch can be locked off. The batteries are easy to install, as is the bulb.

The lamp and switch assembly is removable via a locking collar. I was too ham-handed with this, at first, and rounded off the corner on one of the plastic locking rails.
The light will still lock up and function, but it might be something to watch out for if you buy one.

I bought this light hoping for as tight and long throw beam as my UK SL4, but in a smaller package. In this aspect, I was disappointed. It's beam is no where near as tight or as clean as the SL4.
I wasn't happy with the light based on my expectations and the quality of the beam indoors. Outdoors is a different story. Though a Surge would probably do better, this is a very useful light (if used in short bursts) in a some what smaller package.

Hopefully you will see what I mean in the following picture(also my first attempt at beam comparisons).

Beam shots.

Regards,
Greg

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gb6491:
The PCa has a plastic reflector. The maker warns against prolonged use out of water . The base of the bulb heats up fairly rapid in mine,also the hole for the bulb is only large enough for halogen bulbs. If need be, this could be easily modified. It is focused via shim washers. I can never get mine to focus well enough to eliminate the filaments and shadows.

The light is a very nice size. The switch can be locked off. The batteries are easy to install, as is the bulb.

The lamp and switch assembly is removable via a locking collar. I was too ham-handed with this, at first, and rounded off the corner on one of the plastic locking rails.
The light will still lock up and function, but it might be something to watch out for if you buy one.

I bought this light hoping for as tight and long throw beam as my UK SL4, but in a smaller package. In this aspect, I was disappointed. It's beam is no where near as tight or as clean as the SL4.
I wasn't happy with the light based on my expectations and the quality of the beam indoors. Outdoors is a different story. Though a Surge would probably do better, this is a very useful light (if used in short bursts) in a some what smaller package.

Hopefully you will see what I mean in the following picture(also my first attempt at beam comparisons).

Beam shots.

Regards,
Greg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Greg,

Excellent review and pictures. That'll hepl me decide what to purchase next.

I hope Brightnorm receive his Iklite PC soon so we know whether it has a aluminum relector or not.

I need a long throw light. I am very fond of my ASP and expecting another one to arrive actually, but if there is another light which throw farther and about the same size, I'll take it.

Or let's hope that Lemlux can find a aluminum reflector for the big MAG so I can throw in those high amp bulb from Carley with NiMh batteries. Let's be patient, good things are worth waithing for. Thanks guys.

Regards
Henry

ake

Newly Enlightened
I just got one last Friday. I compared it with a tec40 with RS 3.7V bulb/NiMh/narrow beam reflector combo.

The brightness of both are about the same, but the beam seize of the PCa is bigger (~50%). The throw of both are about the same.
One thing interesting to mention is that the bulb they use is a bi-pin bulb potted in an PR base. I don't know who makes it for them, but should be one of these 2 famous companies
that the names come up so often.

Actually I got 2, but decide to keep only one so the other one (dark blue color) is for sale for $20 shipped (save you some $$ for shipping cost. Will post one buy-sell-trade today.

Ake

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I hope Brightnorm receive his Iklite PC soon so we know whether it has a aluminum relector or not.
Regards
Henry
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry,

OnlineScuba says that the Ikelite PC is on back order. FRUSTRATION!

Brightnorm