[Question] Difference between Malkoff and BUG P60 drop-in

Nessy

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to understand the difference between the Malkoff Surefire M60 Mod (MAL) and the Bug Out Gear USA Cree Q5 Drop-In Module "Super Premium" (BUG).

Having just received my new Surefire P6 Defender, and after reading various threads on this board about P60 drop-ins, I am a bit lost at the actual LED differences.

I visited Cree's website, but I'm still not sure I understand the differences between the MAL LED (a Cree XRE 7090, Q2 bin, WG tint, 180+ lumens) and the BUG LED (Cree Q5, ~230 lumens).

So, having no practical experience with LED drop-ins, here are some questions:
  1. Is the Q5 simply a newer LED model than the Q2?
  2. Referring to the LED specifications (which I read), does the Q5 generate less heat than the Q2?
  3. Are both LEDs on/off, or do they use low/medium/high/off sort of staggered switching?
  4. Do I understand it correctly that the drop-ins don't sacrifice output for battery life (basically run full power with sufficient heat sinks until the power is out)?
Thanks for your insights.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
I just got a new 6PD as well. I solved the problem by ordering both the Malkoff and the BOG drop-ins. The Malkoff is in the light now, and I love it. I won't get the BOG for a couple of weeks.

I'll keep whichever I like better in the 6PD, and find another use for the other one.

The 6PD only has on and off, no low/medium/high.