Retiring old units

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I look at the new flashlight technologies coming out, I'm wondering what to do with my old units. My old Inova X0 & X03 seem old hat while eyeing the T5 and the new Pelican units. How do ya'll handle this. Goodwill?

chiphead

Stromberg

Enlightened
I'm wondering what to do with my old units.

Well, maybe you could place your "retired" units in different rooms so there is always light near by when you need one. Or maybe you could sell or even donate some lights to your friends, relatives or co-workers? And there is of course possibility of not buying more lights..?:crackup:

Glen C

Enlightened
I give sample stock or cosmetically damaged goods to the local State Emergency Service. They appreciate it and you are doing something good for the community. This is a volunteer organisation which helps people in time of emergency, from floods destroying a town down to a branch falling on someones roof. I am sure there would be a similar organisation locally for you.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flashlight is never truly 'retired'. Just because more powerful, longer running variants are available, it does not make the original any less useful. I have not thrown out any of my lights. There is always a situation that will call for one of the strengths of an older light. On a night hike, my Fenix P1D-CE, P1D-CE Q5 or ROP 2D would just spoil things because they are too bright. The old LED Lenser David 15 (42 lumen) is perfect for this job, therefore no obsolete.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellas!
You've made some really valid points, besides I've just shipped my L2P to one of my sisters. I could use one in my office locker and the bed of the truck. Hummn, where else?

chiphead

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to store them like that I'd recommend a lithium battery. I've had bad luck with alkalines left in a light in the car.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe no one's suggested modding (or having someone else mod) the lights. You can swap out LEDs pretty easily, and usually add different drivers if necessary.

Of course, the other suggestions are good, too. There's always times where less light is better, and non-flashaholics aren't as impressed by the cutting edge. I particularly like donating lights to local emergency services.

Of course, you could always sell them...lump a bunch together and set a low price, and count how many PMs you get.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe no one's suggested modding (or having someone else mod) the lights. You can swap out LEDs pretty easily, and usually add different drivers if necessary.

Exactly my thought. I am going to have Milky mod some of my old Surefire stuff and bring them into current technology. If you don't want to or can't do it yourself, contact any one of a number of excellent modders on this forum. For the price of a new light you can have them breathe new life into your old favorites. You bought them because you liked them. Give our modders the chance to make them likeable again. Don't retire 'em, MOD 'em!!!

Walt175

Enlightened
I've also been upgrading mine. Almost every light I own now sports Seoul Leds. I only have a few that are still stock Lux's, and at least one of those is only because I can't get the sucker open.

Last edited:

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I hang onto mine. Sometimes I'll give them away if someone needs one. But usually, they are sent to the basement.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put them in a box and store in a closet. Later, put another box of something else on top of them. Be thankful that they are smaller than computer monitors....

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also been upgrading mine. Almost every light I own now sports Seoul Leds. I only have a few that are still stock Lux's, and at least one of those is only because I can't get the sucker open.

I've got to many spot beams(X0 & X03), I had know idea you could open the heads Inova units!

chiphead

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my out dated lights go to the kids, then I can really see what the lights are made of. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksbman should be starting Christmas Gifts V soon to help poor CPF members with no lights. You may want to donate.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody here will have a use for them, the lights I don't want go up to BST.