FC.'s PM6 - pics

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
FC.\'s PM6 - pics

Crude Surefire imitation. Very poor quality of construction.

Beam is very close to P60, but with a lot of dark spots, rings, etc. Also it is very oval. It is not any brighter then P60.

It came with shittiest 123 cells out there - Tekcells, which were replaced by DL123As, which resulted in noticeably whiter light.

To lock-out the tailcap, o-ring must be fully exposed.

Light is bigger then 6P.

fc8a36c5.jpg

fc8a36a1.jpg

fc8a367c.jpg

fc8a3649.jpg

fc8a361c.jpg

fc8a35ed.jpg

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FC.\'s PM6 - pics

With all removable parts, it will become modders favorite.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:

It came with shittiest 123 cells out there - Tekcells, which were replaced by DL123As, which resulted in noticeably whiter light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya I like how the box had a picture on Energizers and then inside where Tekcells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

all other reviews i saw were more favorable.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

C'mon guys, the light's half or more off the freakin' price of a SF light and comes with a sheath to boot. It's just not gonna live up to some's expectations. Maybe the tailcap isn't supposed to be a lock out just like the G2, afterall the sheath has a recess to keep the light from activating. Maybe our law enforcement officers (who make about as much as a school teacher, which is crap) can afford a few. Or maybe some less well financed departments can afford to issue a decent light now.

Ya get what ya pay for!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the (tungsten filament) light." -Dylan Thomas (with a little help from me)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah! FC is a surefire snob! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened

From what I have seen, if I were limited in funds, I'd buy a G2. Likely more rugged and durable than a 6P, at less than half the price. Lightweight, too.

But you do have to admit that you get a lot for your money with a Pelican M6. Even if the belt sheath isn't top of the line, it would cost at least $10 if purchased seperately. Replacement lamps are $5.40 at Brightguy; and there's a lot to be said for that alone.

It's a real pity the Brinkmann LX has a head the size of a SF M2. It's an amazing value at $20. Brinkmann should come out with a smaller version. It would sell extremely well, I think. I consider the switch to be close to perfect: it never turns on accidently, but is fairly easy to activate for momentary or constant on. The elusive 'clickie' that so many Surefire owners want, without the size and $30+ cost of the SureFire model.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Before making a buy/not buy decision on the Pelican M6 it might be interesting and perhaps useful to read a variety of opinions and reviews. FC makes some excellent points and Brock, myself and others have additional information to offer. The performance of this light, when appropriately fed and adjusted, has been impressive beyond many expectations. Here is Brock's quite surprising chart:

BROCK'S PELICAN M6 CHART

I spent almost three days testing the M6 and I was surprised and impressed by the result:

PELICAN M6 TAKES ITS PLACE AMONG THE THREE BRIGHTEST 2x123 LIGHTS

Brightnorm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

the light may have some problems, but at that price, and with that output and runtime, it goes on my list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

of course it isn't going to be as good overall as a surefire (6p for example), but it is less expensive, and has just come out. the 6p is a mature product, and i'm sure with time, pelican will get it right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
the light may have some problems, but at that price, and with that output and runtime, it goes on my list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

of course it isn't going to be as good overall as a surefire (6p for example), but it is less expensive, and has just come out. the 6p is a mature product, and i'm sure with time, pelican will get it right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rothrandir,

I felt gratified that Brock's intruments confirmed my eyeball results, but frankly I was almost shocked to see how good the figures were. If the M6's lamp lasts for even 50-60 hours then it will be clear that Pelican has achieved at least a minor breakthrough in lamp design: a superbright, unusually efficient, long burning and long lasting lamp? That's a breakthrough in my book!

You might be interested to take a very close look at that reflector, compare its faceting to Surefire 2x123's and see the subtle differences. Also note the unusual depth and geometry of the reflector. We're seeing some very creative thinking here. Yes, they have to address some issues but you said it right: "....I'm sure with time, Pelican will get it right"

Brightnorm

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The Pelican M6 may appear crude compared to a Surefire, but I think it's a decent light for the money. I know several cops in town as well as soldiers stationed in a nearby base who don't like plastic flashlights, but think it's crazy to pay over $100 for a metal flashlight. The Pelican M6 seems to be just the thing for them. I'm not a Surefire elitist, but my only gripe with the Pelican M6 is the tailcap switch. Otherwise, it's a good light.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks to Brightnorm, after first discounting the Pelican M6 because of comments made here on these forums, I bought one and compared it to my Surefire 9P with P91 bulb. To my shock, the Pelican M6 had a longer throw, not more immediate surrounding big beam light, nor as bright close in, but when adjusted to long throw head position it had the longer throw. When factoring in longer run times and bulb expenses I sold my 9p got the EL Blaster VI for intermediate light.