Any modders need a machinest?

johnnymceldoo

Newly Enlightened
Ive been lurking here for awhile and would like to make my own custom light but have little to no electrical skills. I do however have complete access to mills, lathes, welders and a host of aluminum and other steels. I have over 10 years experience in the tool and die industry and run a lathe for the most part right now.

Ive been wondering if any of you wanted to pair up for a custom light so I decided to register and find out. Id love to do a tri-Q5 cree using two 18650's or something along those lines. You provide the electrical know how and assembly and I'll cover the machining and custom metal parts.

Any takers?

mofiki

Newly Enlightened
Are you in the States?

Just concerned about shipping, communication, money transfers, etc.

If so I might be interested soon.

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
wow...great......so if we send you some specs can you make aluminum parts?

ambientmind

Enlightened
welcome! where are you located? would you be able to cut down mag bodies and rethread, and cut designs/fins into the bodies and heads? you are going to get a lot of attention on here with the skills and equipment you posted!

Mash

Enlightened
johnnymceldoo,
Welcome aboard!
Hope you dont suddenly think you have bitten off more than you can possibly chew!
With an offer like that, I am sure you and your service will be very popular here pretty quickly!

johnnymceldoo

Newly Enlightened
Iam located in southern Ohio and I can turn, thread(internal and external) and bore just about anything. I can groove slots etc. and was actually considering making a new bezel for my tiablo. It would be neat to try some different geometry for better lighting.

I have excellent buyer/seller feedback on some other sites and am an honest person that takes pride in what I do. Iam really excited about some of the custom stuff you guys have come up with and I look foward to working on my own custom light.

ambientmind

Enlightened
how much would you charge to fin a mag d size head and maybe do some design work in the body?

ambientmind

Enlightened
oh, and as far as your project goes, what ideas did you have for the light as far as design and electronics go? did you want multi mode, single mode, high output or long runtime? were you going to make the body and head from scratch or use existing parts? i'm not that great at everything but i'd be willing to help and throw some ideas around for you, i'll gladly share my knowledge as little as it might be! :welcome:

johnnymceldoo

Newly Enlightened
Ambient, Id have to see a sketch or something so Id have an idea of how much time I would have in it. Does a mag D cell head have enough wall thickness to cut fins into?

As far as design goes Id like a low and high mode tailcap and for lighting I was thinking 3 Q5 crees. For the body I was thinking of a sort of oval shape, flat on two sides to house two 18650 batteries side by side. It would be more challenging to make an oval handle but it would keep the light smaller.

Id be content with cutting down a maglight flashlight and using its parts too. Im completely open to anyones ideas.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, here a pic in answer to your question about head thickness. if google will find plenty examples of different finned heads.

ambientmind

Enlightened
thanks jimjones! thats exactly what i was looking for, even the diamond pattern in the grip. johnny, i'm not sure where to get a two stage tailcap for it, i've seen multi mode boards, but they usually have 3 or more modes. i like the idea of the oval body, i was actually thinking the same thing! i've always wanted to see a light designed like that. it would be a trick to make an oval body with a round head though, lots of machining i would imagine.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ambient, your welcome.

thanks jimjones! thats exactly what i was looking for, even the diamond pattern in the grip. johnny, i'm not sure where to get a two stage tailcap for it, i've seen multi mode boards, but they usually have 3 or more modes. i like the idea of the oval body, i was actually thinking the same thing! i've always wanted to see a light designed like that. it would be a trick to make an oval body with a round head though, lots of machining i would imagine.