Good Cheap AA lites

LiteBright

Newly Enlightened
So I'm new to the forum and I have one really quick question. I work as a auto tech and my employer supplies us with free AA batt's and mag litebulbs but I really want a better flashlight. What are some good AA lites to check out? LED would be cool but whatever. I just dont want to have to buty my own batt's since I go through a set a week. Thnks cheers

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, that's not an easy one, since there are A LOT of different AA-lites.

What kind of budget are you on?
1 AA or 2 AA? Which size is best?
What kind of beam do you want, flood or spot?
Do you want different modes(different levels of brightness etc in the same light)?

But if you want a quick answere, I think the best cheap AA light is the ultrafire C3.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4452
I think there are some US-dealers like www.batteryjunction.com that have it also, might have a lot faster shipping.

Cheers.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many on Dealextreme, the best IMO being the MTE Seoul for single mode and the MTE Rebel 100 5 Mode for multimode(also brighter then the MTE Seoul) or if you want even more mode, the MTE Rebel 100 20 mode is there.

There's also the Ultrafire C3, Romisen RC-G2...(DX's Cree AA section, Cree Section, Seoul Section, Rebel section, stick with light that get good reviews here and there)

With the Newer LEDs(Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Rebel 100), you can get the same overall output(or more) as a Maglite 4D in a single AA powered light. An example is the MTE Seoul.

:welcome:

Zenster

Enlightened
So I'm new to the forum and I have one really quick question. I work as a auto tech and my employer supplies us with free AA batt's and mag litebulbs but I really want a better flashlight. What are some good AA lites to check out? LED would be cool but whatever. I just dont want to have to buty my own batt's since I go through a set a week. Thnks cheers

Since you're already getting the AA Maglite and AA batteries for free, you might like what you get if you take one of those AA Maglites and drop in a Terralux module for $25.00.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

At 100 lumens, it's way better than what you've been used to using the stock AA Maglite, and the CREE XRE-7090 emitter it uses is a very nice white light.
As a bonus, you'll find that a pair of AA batteries will last twice as long as they did before.

Illum

Flashaholic
your trying to find a needle in several haystacks of needles, regardless of what your past experience with forums may be, its best to be as specific as possible [how much cells, preferred runtime, LED types, application, appearance, beam pattern, etc] to get any sort of help or support on the matter;)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
your trying to find a needle in several haystacks of needles, regardless of what your past experience with forums may be, its best to be as specific as possible [how much cells, preferred runtime, LED types, application, appearance, beam pattern, etc] to get any sort of help or support on the matter;)

+1 So many choices! I personally think you would like something simple with a couple levels, no strobe etc. Like an L1T or something like that. Look at Fenix store.com . :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Energizer Hard Case Professional. They are practically indestructible. I like my 2xAA one for a toolbox light.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Autotech eh? Then I don't think you would want to click 5 times everytime you want High brightness by getting the 5 mode version. So I would recommend the single-mode Ultrafire C3 + Extention. In 2xAA mode, the C3 lasts around 4 hours of constant 100% brightness level. It is fairly bright and has a neutral tint to the light.

If you want brighter, try the WF-606A. It uses 2AA also and is around twice the brightness of the 1-mode Ultrafire C3. Obviously, it should have around half the run time also due to this. It has a very similar look/tint to the beam of C3 and is built to last.

Check out my review for photos/comments on some mentioned above.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
How bright of a light do you need? Do you do most of your work in a shop or do you also do field work - a 100+ lumen spot I don't think would be good as the spot might be too bright.

Streamlight makes some good lights in the ProPoly series with LED's in them but which one would be best depends on your use and how much light you need. I like the ProPoly 2AA LED because it does not have tons of light and a bright spot that I can't work in. 15 or so hours run time to boot - I use mine for working inside boats - I keep a 4AA LED or Pelican 2440 close by when I need more light.

The 2AA is about $ 18 online - the 4AA about $28 or so if my memory is close.

mb

djblank87

Enlightened
There are a lot of things to consider like the following:

1. Your Budget?
2. Size?
etc.............

check the Fenix-Store.com out for some of the better AA lights and lighthound.com for AA lights.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
As earlier said, it depends on whether you want throw or spill

A good balance is the ultrafire c3,i have that, and its reliable, and tough, and upgradable. If youre looking for pure lumen power, look into the MTE rebel single AA, i myself will probably buy it this week. They say it even has a yellowish tint to it, yum....!

Crenshaw

hoffner5

Newly Enlightened
Well, first off, I take some offense to "I really want a better flashlight" when referring to Maglites. Maglites are great!

But anyway... Which Maglite are you using? Since they give you AAs, I would guess Mini-mags?

I think the Mini-mag 2AA LED would be great. Your light will blend in just fine (no one joking behind your back), it's plenty bright for automotive work, it's durable, LED and under $25.

But, you might also look at the Fenix lights. A 1AA Fenix could easily be much brighter, and perhaps size does matter. Easy to hold a 1AA Fenix between your teeth when you need both hands.

Headlamps would be the way to go, but I'm guessing you might get a lot of funny looks from your co-workers.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a tough indestructable flashlight, I would go with a Energizer hardcase.

I also bought one of those Terralux AA rebel lights form Batteryjunction for $29... I was not impressed with the feel at first, but it is brighter than a mmagled and it has a nice smooth beam with a forward switch. What impressed me with it last night, is that I went to use it for something and it started flashing...slow than fast telling me I needed to change the batteries. I love regulated lights that do that and just don't leave you in the dark.