Fenix P3D looks good/Questions on charger and batteries

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been here for a long time (so long that all my posts are gone). I finally stripped the threads the other night on my Mr. Bulk Lionhead. What a fantastic light that lasted years, as have my Arc Ls's.

I need a light for work and have quickly decided on the Fenix P3D. I hadn't even heard of it until today but I think it will serve my purposes. I am spoiled with the different modes of the Lionhead.

I have been out of the loop and would appreciate a recommendation on a lithium charger and batteries. A specific brand recommendation, vendor or link would be great. 3.0 volt batteries, or 3.6 protected?

And if there is another good light with a clickie switch that has different power levels and takes lithium rechargeables, please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 3.6V protected batteries will work fine in the P3D. I'd go with AW's batteries and charger. There is a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store, "CPF8".

Just incase you haven't heard, the newer Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin(In order of efficiency/output, P3, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2), Seoul P4 U bin, and Luxeon Rebel 100 all have double or more efficiency then the Luxeon I, III, V and K2. So for the same power, the newer LEDs will have double the output of the previous Luxeons. The Cree P4 has the same or more output at 350 mA as the Luxeon III has a 1 amp.

There are actually many lights from $20-$100+ that will take Li-ion batteries and multimode. Cheap example, another medium priced example, higher priced very far throwing example, successor to the HDS U60.

You have come back at a very good time

What are you using the light for?

Welcome Back!

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3D and the AW rechargables are a very good combo. The output and runtime of the P3D is very impressive. Output on medium mode is plenty bright and last a suprising long time.

I actually use a 17670 single cell in mine and it works perfect. I have heard that not all brands fit though. Mine is an unprotected Ultrafire brand with the wrapper removed and tape used in place.

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12 thanks so much for the detailed info, and especially the discount code! The order is in for the natural P3D Q5 and the AW batteries and charger. Car cord too. :)

Regulator thanks for your recommendation as well.

I burned out recently on over the road trucking and found a local job driving a tanker, delivering liquid oxygen and nitrogen to hospitals and industrial sites. I work all night and the customer tanks are usually dark and isolated. I need to identify valves and read gauges and then hook up the discharge hose to make the delivery. I am often surrounded in a cloud of product, very cold product (hence my choice of lithium).:) My circadian rhythm's are a mess, but at least I can justify spending money on lights. The guy who trained me was quite impressed with the Lionhead. He had a maglite AA incandescent with a low battery. It was sad. Wait till he sees this.:)

Thanks for the welcome back. This always was a friendly place. Hey gunner your "cheap example" link didn't work (just my luck:))but curiosity has the best of me. What light?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Opps, too many links,

It was the $23 shipped Ultrafire EMR1 at Dealextreme. A $15 shipped AA 5 Mode Cree Q2 light. Now, the bright LEDs aren't just limited to higher end lights(actually, it seems that most of them are used in sub $50 lights).

But most of the more expensive light do have better quality and warranty.

Your problem might be that a LED might not cut through fog as well as an incan, but if the Lionhead worked well, the P3D should too.

You could get the one of the lower priced AA lights for you instructor, that would probably make him very happy.

Last edited:

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
Right you are standardbattery. I have researched it some and found the Streamlight 3AA HAZ-LO Div 1 Headlamp. It looked promising but the problem is my hardhat not only has two large pivoting earmuffs to protect my ears from the pump noise, but also a full face shield that also pivots up to almost the very top of the hat when I am not banging brass collars . My outfit is very strict on safety and safety glasses alone are not permitted.
Anyone with any suggestions please post.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... some of the head lamps are quite small, you might want to take a close look at your helmet and see how much of a gap there is between the hat and the visor as it move up. There might just be enough room to squeeze in a small head lamp.

The pocket/coat clipped light is a good idea too, I love the Zebralight. You can also look at the Inova 24/7 light, that might work out.

http://www.inovalight.com/247.html

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Both lights look interesting. I do have to take a closer look at my hardhat. It's at work. Until then I suppose I will continue to put the light in my mouth.

All right Gunner my trainer is a nice guy and I had the same thought, but now that you are forcing me into buying the guy a light how bout one more recommendation on a 2AA light, preferably with dual modes. :) We do paperwork on the trailer tandem fender.

I do appreciate all the help.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not trying to force you to do anything, I was just suggesting that you could give him a light(Or a drop-in).

Recommendations, Humm the Fenix L2T V2.0 Is pretty good. Lower price alternative with 5 modes can be the Candlepower light. The WF-606, the Ultrafire C3 2AA(longer runtime, dimmer then the WF-606), and the 3W Seoul(Tonch) are good lower priced single mode lights. Theres also the Terralux 2 AA Rebel light.

The Fenix L2T V2.0 is the only simple to use 2 level 2AA light that I know of.

If 1AA is also an option there are many other lights like the Lumapower LM31.

There is also this Cree Drop-in but there have been heatsinking problems during extended use.

Ski Trucker

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12 thanks so much for the detailed info, and especially the discount code! The order is in for the natural P3D Q5 and the AW batteries and charger. Car cord too. :)

Regulator thanks for your recommendation as well.

I burned out recently on over the road trucking and found a local job driving a tanker, delivering liquid oxygen and nitrogen to hospitals and industrial sites. I work all night and the customer tanks are usually dark and isolated. I need to identify valves and read gauges and then hook up the discharge hose to make the delivery. I am often surrounded in a cloud of product, very cold product (hence my choice of lithium).:) My circadian rhythm's are a mess, but at least I can justify spending money on lights. The guy who trained me was quite impressed with the Lionhead. He had a maglite AA incandescent with a low battery. It was sad. Wait till he sees this.:)

Thanks for the welcome back. This always was a friendly place. Hey gunner your "cheap example" link didn't work (just my luck:))but curiosity has the best of me. What light?
I'm also a night time driver and carry a P3D and L2D Rebell 1oo and the company supplies free AA batteries for L2D. Great light with great run times.

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again gunner for all the links. Now I just have to decide.

Hello comrade ski trucker. Now that I like, free batteries. After all, we could not do our job without a light. Maybe at the next safety meeting.:) You be safe too.

galavanter

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3D Highly Recommended

Just thought I would pop back in here and say what a fabulous light the P3D has proven to be. I have had it, along with the AW charger and two sets of batteries, for over a year now.

I have used it each night at work, and it has never failed me. The batteries are still going strong. I probably charge each set every two weeks on average.

The P3D works as advertised. It has survived quite a few drops on concrete. I regularly get compliments on it.

My trainer really likes his L2T too. Thanks to all and Happy New Year.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix P3D Highly Recommended

I'm glad the light has worked well for you. If you are looking for a bit more grip and anti-roll, Fenix came out with the PD30. If the P3D you have is just P3D, not the Q5 version, then the PD30 also has the more efficient Cree XR-E Q5 LED which gives you a bit more output. CPF8 is still the coupon code.

There are also other lights out too.

Either way, I'm glad the light works well for you and your trainer.