Is the Gladius Special Ops better than my Lumapower M1 ?

roof

Newly Enlightened
I'm saw the Gladius Night Ops in a brochure and I thought that is a nice light. But I already have a Fenix L2D, Inova T4 and a Lumpapower M1 hunter.

Is the Gladius brighter than my Lumapower??.

What I liked at the Gladius is the tactical shape, because I'm a cop and working in the Netherlands. So I'm looking for the best light for work??.

I hope you can help me :shrug:

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
the gladius have a luxeon III led so it's not as bright as the lumapower.
But, you can upgrade it with a seoul p4 led so you can have 160 + lumens ( lumapower is 115 lumens)
for the more the gladius have a fantastic UI witch is far far away from the lumapower;
there is a low battery indicator, it's protected against heat, you have a 0% to 100% light power regulator, there is a very good tactical strob.
well take a look here for all the features...

gladius spécifications
http://night-ops.com/glad-specifications.html

some videos
http://www.blackhawkvideo.com/flashlights.html

xiaowenzu

Banned
What I liked at the Gladius is the tactical shape, because I'm a cop and working in the Netherlands.

I hope you can help me :shrug:

I'd say get the Gladius - it's a genuine tactical light because of the protruding forward momentary switch, unlike the other ones you mention, which is reverse clicky, and non-protruding. (except for Inova) :wave:

For your line of work, I wouldn't compromise on a great light, especially when safety is involved. The Gladius is used by SWAT teams, and special agents, so that's an extra assurance you're getting one of the best. :)

cab980002

Newly Enlightened
I just got a gladius with the upgrade from strategos. I am a police officer in the U.S. and I have many lights. I never thought I would have a light that took throw away batteries again. I will have to say that I LOVE this light. I can deal with putting new batteries in every couple months. This light is amazing. I have already used the stobe to distract a suspect and it works great. I can say with confidence that I can recomend this light to anyone working in law enforcement. Btw this was my first post. Thanks.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work law enforcement in the U.S. I have the M1 Tactical, but don't use it for work. I don't have a Gladius.

With the supercharge upgrade, I'd prefer the Gladius/Typhoon to the M1, I think. The added functions make it a little more useful.

I personally use bigger, brighter lights, but the supercharged Gladius/Typhoon is a good size with a nice switch and useful features.

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
I'd say get the Gladius - it's a genuine tactical light because of the protruding forward momentary switch, unlike the other ones you mention, which is reverse clicky, and non-protruding. (except for Inova) :wave:

For your line of work, I wouldn't compromise on a great light, especially when safety is involved. The Gladius is used by SWAT teams, and special agents, so that's an extra assurance you're getting one of the best. :)

Marketing material is wonderful to read, but there seem to real flaws in the Gladius as a tactical light - unless they've been fixed: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm

Personally, I wouldn't buy a light costing more than $10 from a manufacturer who won't bother to keep up with current LED technology. The Gladius is a good part of the cost of the Peak First Responder - a light with better UI, enormous battery choices, and almost ten times the maximum brightness:

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/First_Respsponder.html

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174953

The Gladius is more compact though.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know the gladius personally, but one thing I'd like to point out on some earlier posts: they are comparing a gladius with an upgrade against an M1 of an older vintage that hasn't been upgraded. So the comparisons are biased!

the latest M1 versions will have 180 or more lumens with great runtime.

as to various "tactical" characteristics, I guess it depends on what you want. I believe Lumapower also ships a tactical switch but I haven't used it.

xiaowenzu

Banned
The Gladius, you can upgrade to a seoul p4 led so you can have 160 + lumens ( that's out the front REAL lumens, close to ~220 lumens measured at the emitter) and gladius is more applicable for tactical situations. :party:

Marketing material is wonderful to read, but there seem to real flaws in the Gladius as a tactical light - unless they've been fixed: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm

The Gladius is more compact though.

Well, the 'flaws' it mentions in the review is merely the subjective impression of the reviewer. :p I know there are some people is not that keen on the very long stroke needed when pressing the tailcap button - about 5-7mm, which seems excessive, but I have many friends, owners of the Gladius who believe this helps to prevent accidental activation of the light... and many PREFER the tactical feeling of this light. IMO, it got 5/5 in the review overall, and I must say that is quite impressive feat. Obviously, even though, there are much brighter lights than the Gladius, but it's at the cost of weight and size... the Gladius does have a very high power-to-weight ratio, so to speak.:popcorn:

Last edited:

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
all i need is the gladius switch put on DX light for exemple....
a 3 cree with the gladius switch 'll be a wonderfull light.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend the Gladius/Typhoon with the upgraded led. It rocks ,I use mine often and I use rechargable Li-Ion batteries in it.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
well i'm afraid using li ion batt, as i don't want my gladius :poof:
what kind of batts do you use ?
thanks

roof

Newly Enlightened
I have read that all of you advice the Gladius Night ops. We have a Inova T4 from the police for all officers. The Lumapower is smaller then the Inova T4 but has the same brightness!.

The only problem is the case for the Lumapower M1, I use a Radar pouch, but this is to big for the M1. I filled it up, now it fits. But it is not ideal.

The Lumapower MRV is bigger and will fits into the Radar Pouch, but than I have to buy another Lumapower.

I want a real police light for my own safety.

but is the normal Gladius Night ops brighter than my Lumapower M1 hunter (cree led)???.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no singular "police light."

There are a huge number of lights that real, honest to goodness police officers carry and use on a daily basis.

If you have some details of what kind of protection you're looking for or cost or run time, we might be able to offer some better suggestions.

Just about anyone here can recommend a dozen different lights that could fit the bill.

-Medina

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Gladius is one of my favorite lights. i have LEOs in the family, but am not one myself, so i hesitate commenting on some aspects of this discussion.

the Gladius is probably not brighter overall (i own both, but haven't done a side-by-side comparison b/t the two lights you mention).

the Gladius has a nice tight spot and excellent throw. it seems to be a real shooter's light.

the UI, especially being able to PRE-select (after the light is turned on to its default level -or- MAX level depending upon how you program it to turn on) either a blinding MAX output -or- an extremely disorienting strobe from the selector ring would seem, to my naive way of thinking, to be quite important in some tactical situations. the initial turn-on mode may also be preselected by means of the UI/mode ring before the light is turned on, as well.

so, if accessing MAX brightness or STROBE from either an ON or an OFF state is important to you for "safety" (to use your term) reasons, then the Gladius ought to be given serious consideration, IMO - even if its overall Lumen output is less (it still does throw quite excellently due to its tighter spot).

soon, i'll be purchasing another one with the Cree upgrade for increased brightness. the upgraded Gladius will probably then replace quite a few other lights in terms of my preference for use.

this same course, i.e. the upgraded Gladius for ~$225 might be your best course of action.

I have read that all of you advice the Gladius Night ops. We have a Inova T4 from the police for all officers. The Lumapower is smaller then the Inova T4 but has the same brightness!.

The only problem is the case for the Lumapower M1, I use a Radar pouch, but this is to big for the M1. I filled it up, now it fits. But it is not ideal.

The Lumapower MRV is bigger and will fits into the Radar Pouch, but than I have to buy another Lumapower.

I want a real police light for my own safety.

but is the normal Gladius Night ops brighter than my Lumapower M1 hunter (cree led)???.

roof

Newly Enlightened
I use the light for work on the streets. We drive in a car or motorcycle and have all kind of work. Looking for criminals, traffic controles, help people who have problems. I come in all kinds of situations, most of the time it is to make more light for searching or looking at ID papers.

Last week I had a guy who was out of control in a living room. The light was off and I was forget my flashlight:whistle:. In that situation I needed a strobe or strong light.

I hope you can advice me.

I allready have a Fenix L2D (cree led), Inova T4, Lumapower M1 hunter (cree led).

My problem is also, that I can't choose which flashlight I use at my duty??:shrug: