Q5 that's not made in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
What are my options for a Q5 that's not made in China?

I'm looking for 200+ lumens, hi/lo, 2x123 OR 1x18650, medium beam

:thinking:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just wondering but why do you dislike lights made in China(I can come up with many reasons too, but was there a specific reason. If it was with quality issues, well, chinese product can be very good, just look at Dereelight and Regelight. I'm not trying to start a argument)?

If you don't want made in China, Surefire with a BOG Q5 drop-in is a very good idea

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I don't like their environmental or human rights records. I'd love to just buy USA, but that's not always possible or affordable, so I at least try to avoid China.

How easy is it to bore out the Surefires to fit an 18650?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How easy, I'm not sure but I do know it works with a 6P(example, I'm not being very helpful an I).

If you have access to a lathe or a machine shop, you should be fine.

Or you could also buy a 18650 Leef body(yes, that does add to the price).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does it say the BOG module is not made in China? Not doubting it, but I'd like to see this for myself. I don't see anything on the webpage.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does it say the BOG module is not made in China? Not doubting it, but I'd like to see this for myself. I don't see anything on the webpage.

The BOG module is overseas for sure since Flavio mentioned they're going through customs. But from which country...who knows? :shrug:

xiaowenzu

Banned
What are my options for a Q5 that's not made in China? :thinking:
Are you meaning the CREE Led itself? Because all the LEDs made are by USA company - Cree US INC. The LED is the heart of any flashlight, and all Chinese/non-chinese lights uses American Cree LEDS, and the company has made over $343 million dollar profit this year... more money to the American shareholders!! :D

http://www.cree.com/

"Cree is the world leader in the development and manufacture of silicon carbide (SiC), a base material used in the fabrication of the company's products and materials. Cree was formed in 1987 by a group of researchers from North Carolina State University who were pioneers in the development of single-crystal silicon carbide. Cree's vertical integration throughout the manufacturing process from crystal growth to device package and test allows total control over all aspects of the production process."

Light-Eater

Newly Enlightened
I don't like their environmental or human rights records. I'd love to just buy USA, but that's not always possible or affordable, so I at least try to avoid China.

So you're punishing the government by hurting the small companies that is helping pushing their economy forward and may or may not have anything to do with those issues, wonderful.

China is developing, just like the US had quite some years ago whence it too had numerous human right violations (child labor, slavery, etc..). Environmentally, the US nowadays isn't any better.

I'm just saying, I'm not defending China, hell I'm not even Chinese but these uninformed xenophobic sentiments are starting to get annoying.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you're punishing the government by hurting the small companies that is helping pushing their economy forward and may or may not have anything to do with those issues, wonderful.

China is developing, just like the US had quite some years ago whence it too had numerous human right violations (child labor, slavery, etc..). Environmentally, the US nowadays isn't any better.

I'm just saying, I'm not defending China, hell I'm not even Chinese but these uninformed xenophobic sentiments are starting to get annoying.

I could care less about China's economy, I care about the U.S. economy and the devaluation of our currency. And I don't like to finance the Red Army. If you think this is xenophobic, well I find that viewpoint very strange. But to each their own.

On the other hand, there is a movie you might find interesting, called Manufactured Landscapes. Not really meant to be a political movie, but I found it fairly depressing.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
That makes about as much sense as boycotting Texas just because you don't like the Bush administration.

Light-Eater

Newly Enlightened
I could care less about China's economy, I care about the U.S. economy and the devaluation of our currency. And I don't like to finance the Red Army. If you think this is xenophobic, well I find that viewpoint very strange. But to each their own.

On the other hand, there is a movie you might find interesting, called Manufactured Landscapes. Not really meant to be a political movie, but I found it fairly depressing.

Ah but you see, the economy has to get better before changes to human rights/ environmental issues would start to happen, you can't just blindly boycott any innocent Chinese company that may/may not have those issues and expect the entire country to change. That is just ignorant.

Our economy going down the drain is our own doing, we have to fix it. Before talking about financing the Chinese military, remember that our country and Russia are still the top 2 arms producers in the world.

This mentality is not unlike that of the ignorant people in the tech industry blaming the Indians for outsourcing when it is their million dollars a year plus bonus bosses who practice the American's capitalist ideal of the free market and bring productions elsewhere.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah but you see, the economy has to get better before changes to human rights/ environmental issues would start to happen, you can't just blindly boycott any innocent Chinese company that may/may not have those issues and expect the entire country to change. That is just ignorant.

You don't understand. I don't expect it to change with or without my support. It's a black hole. It's like pouring money into Africa. That always gets the same result. But I won't support it for that reason and others. I just prefer to support my fellow countrymen instead.

Our economy going down the drain is our own doing, we have to fix it. Before talking about financing the Chinese military, remember that our country and Russia are still the top 2 arms producers in the world.

This mentality is not unlike that of the ignorant people in the tech industry blaming the Indians for outsourcing when it is their million dollars a year plus bonus bosses who practice the American's capitalist ideal of the free market and bring productions elsewhere.
Really? I don't recall anybody in IT who has ever blamed India for outsourcing. Why would it be India's fault?

I blame people like Bill Gates who claim there aren't enough smart people here, so we have to go to some village in cheech and chong to find talent. I blame the companies who would rather pay chimbuka 8 cents an hour to answer calls than an American.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Is all of CPF getting this cranky and sensitive? Who gives a * why he don't want a china light. It's his doggone money.

*Note from Sasha... might want to reconsider your wording here Sarge... we do run a family board here and try to keep the language a little bit cleaner than this. Thanks in advance for the edit... ;)

Thanks for keeping me civil Sasha, I appreciate the warning!

Last edited:

Light-Eater

Newly Enlightened
You don't understand. I don't expect it to change with or without my support. It's a black hole. It's like pouring money into Africa. That always gets the same result. But I won't support it for that reason and others. I just prefer to support my fellow countrymen instead.
I guess we haven't advanced past the "us" and "them" stage then, sorry, I guess I was too optimistic.

Really? I don't recall anybody in IT who has ever blamed India for outsourcing. Why would it be India's fault?
You don't, but there are many out there who are so blind as to blame honest hard-working people for some how stealing their jobs.

I blame people like Bill Gates who claim there aren't enough smart people here, so we have to go to some village in cheech and chong to find talent.

I see where you're coming from now...

Status
Not open for further replies.