its amazeing how a video game is faster then a pc

meuge

Enlightened
i mean check out the stats here for folding at home please note the ps3 is doing more with less machines
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

You've got to clarify the "faster", as it's not just a blanket characterization.

It's much more appropriate to ask "faster at WHAT?", since a high-end PC would destroy the PS3 in any linear calculation benchmark. It's just that the PS3 is so highly parallel, so that it can do certain types of calculations faster.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i mean it folds faster and and can crack passwords faster i don't crack passwords i just read that on a tech site.i build pcs but im not really sure what kinda calculations there is but i assume ya are right a pc will do some faster .but not for the price it amazes me how fast it is for the price

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
You've got to clarify the "faster", as it's not just a blanket characterization.

It's much more appropriate to ask "faster at WHAT?", since a high-end PC would destroy the PS3 in any linear calculation benchmark. It's just that the PS3 is so highly parallel, so that it can do certain types of calculations faster.

Almost. The PS3 has great vector processing capability - this means that it's good at certain types of mathematical calculations that require "swerves" in their logic. The price it pays for this architecture is that it is poor at "swervy" calculations. Most experts actually consider this an unsuccessful trade-off for the machine's role.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's fairly easy to make a specific purpose machine really fly at it's special purpose ;) But a PC is a general purpose device that needs to do a lot of more different things. Add to that the tremendous burden of being backwards compatible with so much old software that it's amazing windows manages to do anything at all!

When you get an opportunity to optimize a small subset of work in an entirely new system and new platform without any legacy concerns that only needs to push a single set of abilities (rendering 3D stuff) then it would be criminal if you weren't able to make it do much better than a similar PC.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
James beat me to it.

Single purpose = FAST

Closed environment = less error checking = FAST

Video games usually require that the developers use their development kit, thus minimizing the mistakes that the OS has to look for.

The more variables involved ( 3rd party software, 3rd party compilers, 3rd party components) etc) the more error checking you need for a stable system.

Daniel

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just a matter of having a bad *** hardware math co-processor, no matter what you name it or how it's disguised.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
GPUs are generally limited to single-precision (32-bit) arithmetic. When it comes to double-precision (64-bit) applications, a high-end PC will usually outperform a gaming console.