Novatac's with updated LEDs?

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if Novatac is planning on releasing new lights with some of the better LEDs out now? I could really go for a Novatac 200P :-D

I sent them an email about two weeks ago, but never got a response...

aceo07

Enlightened
It seems like Fenix is really the only company that can do that. By changing the product so often, I assume that it makes the older stock harder to sell. Novatac might be more costly to produce, therefore they don't want them to go to waste or sale.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not a single die LED on the market that can produce 200 lumens out the front on a production reflector that I'm aware of.

A Cree Q5 or R2 is getting close if you drive it hard; but brightest generally isn't the philosophy of Novatac Lights to the best of my understanding.

We've still got awhile until Novatac puts out a newer design. I'm more interested to see what else HDS is dreaming up.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
the led replacement race is very expensive; the high-end American manufacturers (Novatac, Surefire) can't afford to play that game. some of the other American manufacturers (e.g., innova) don't even offer the new leds left.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be surprised if Novatac came out with an updated model, but who knows. Maybe they are waiting for v-bin SSC's, rather than make a switch to a Cree.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In time NovaTac will update their emitters.
They will need to work on their drivers as well in order to keep runtimes decent.
Battery technology is not improving as quickly as emitter technology.
A 200 lumen NovaTac which will only put out 200 Lumen for 10 minutes is just about useless.

It wouldn't surprise me that when emitters came out which doubled the amount of light they put out that NovaTac would consider a new form factor with a 2 cell design in order to keep up with the current demands of new driver emitter combinations while maintaining run times.
yaesumofo