Whitest LED's ever from Craftsman!?

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Craftsman LED "work" hat from sears as a gift. I didn't really notice until it was dark (Yes I was playing with it) but the 5mm white LED's are the whitest I have ever seen! There is...well I would say, NO blue whatsoever in them! I have lots of single and multi 5mm lights, to compare with!

The red LED's are what you'd expect with a nice hole in the center of both, but the whites are just fantastic! Anyone else have good luck with LED's from Sears?? I'm thinking about one of the work/drop lights if the LED's are this good.

Alero

Enlightened
Funny you mention it, but I swear that my whited 5mm LED's are ALL in various headlamps...Cyclops, Garrity, China off-brand....doesn't seem to matter which brand. They are all VERY VERY white compared to the average flashlight. Probably just random luck though.

My INOVA keychain light also has a VERY white 5mm LED.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't get my hopes too high about "sears" having much to do with the pleasing tint emitted by one of their products, other than a possibly competant buying department having skill at selecting suppliers. Unless the other light you're considering came from the exact same supplier and he used the exact same led's only God knows what you're going to get.
Sears ourtsources to numerous asian mfrs. like anyone else, they just go a step further and put their name on the package. They have ben hit or miss on a lot of items but overall you won't usually get screwed by them.

(I'm offering this as a rebuttal only because a fluorescent work light I bought there a few years ago was probably the sorriest POS I've ever spent an hour destroying with normal use. They still carry it and it doesn't look alot unlike their led worklights and thus may be from the same supplier)

They still print on the back of every receipt, "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" and in today's marketplace those are powerful and risky words, they are to be commended for sticking to their strategy. I can't see how merging with Krap-mart wass a benefit to the customer other than infusion of capital. (Krap-mart, the poster boy of a bad shopping day, actually had more net worth than Sears even in bankruptcy- they own most of the properties their stores sit on, whereas Sears leases most of their store locations, since they long ago focused on malls)

batvette

Newly Enlightened
Funny you mention it, but I swear that my whited 5mm LED's are ALL in various headlamps...Cyclops, Garrity, China off-brand....doesn't seem to matter which brand. They are all VERY VERY white compared to the average flashlight. Probably just random luck though.

My INOVA keychain light also has a VERY white 5mm LED.

I think the "luck of the draw" peculiarity of tint is more noticeable on luxeon and luxeon-like emitters.
I have a couple of early luxeon flashlights that will damn near make you puke looking at the tint. Greenish yellow, dirty brown, etc.