Surefire U2....Yes or No?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't decide if I need one. I just got a Gen.2-3 L1 and am really liking the 2-stages of light. I have the McE2s 2-stage, but sometimes it sticks on full brightness...even after Lock-out to the point the tailcap only has a 1/2 turn till it comes off. I have an L5 and don't feel it is too big. I understand the U2 is about the same size. I am really liking the idea of not having to blind myself or others everytime I turn my light on. Sometimes I just don't need FULL brightness.

Anyone have any problems with the selector switch?
Any other problems that seem to be an issue?
Where is the cheapest place to buy one?
What is the best Mod for this light?

I really want one, but want to be certain before I buy one.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Go for it, if you are the type that needs variable output for your light it is one of the best lights to go with. If you are patient thought there is a chance (might be rumor) that SF is going to upgrade the U2 ultras LED come 2008

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still one of the best lights I have. The level selector is unsurpassed, you can leave the light always at the same level or switch it on at min or max or medium without any problem. Plus a great floody beam.

:twothumbs

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any problems with the selector switch?

I never have. Problems seems rare. Not completely unheard of, but very rare.

Any other problems that seem to be an issue?

Nope

Where is the cheapest place to buy one?

Surefires are price controlled. That said, there are dealers that give CPF discounts. Go to the dealers forum on the sales side and see who they are. Dealers also often include a bunch of batteries with your Surefire as a way to save you some money.

What is the best Mod for this light?I really want one, but want to be certain before I buy one.

I believe Milkyspit is offering a multi-Cree upgrade (the U2 is a Luxeon). There are two issues with that - the mod is more than the light, and there is imho nothing wrong with Luxeon LEDs :)

The U2 is a GREAT light. It gives you multi levels in a very intuitive way, unlike other multi level lights. It's not a thrower - more an area light. So if you're looking for a tight beam to reach out and touch someone at 300 yards, look elsewhere. But the beam is far more usable than those from pencil beamed throwers. I love mine and carry it with me all the time, or at least have it close by.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problems with the selector ring on my SF U2.

one of my favorite lights due to the six output levels. coupled with a RED Photon Freedom Li coin-cell powered microlight, it can handle all but my most distant lighting requirement (for that a powerful incand. is used).

i've never regretted purchasing one (it was my first SF light) and use it quite often (even used to EDC for well over six months). i also use a homemade JakStrap for side-mounting it alongside my right temple for hands-free operation when the need arises.

IMO, money well spent.

jcompton

Enlightened
This is not a light that you want to pass on if you have the ability/funds to own at least one. I run mine on 18650s and if you plan on doing the same, make sure to purchase one with an older body (or a leef 18650 body) as the latest ones will only fit the 17670 and primaries. I have had no problems with any if my U2s (tail switch, selector switch or other). As far as the price tag goes, your best bet is to check the marketplace, otherwise you'll be in the 200+ range and that's most likely with a non-18650 compatable body. The best mod for the U2 IMO is the Milky Quad Rebel mod which increases the max output to ~500 lumens while retaining 6 distinct levels and stock runtime. The only downside I have found with the U2 is it's anxiously awaited return home from Milky Labs. :candle:

Having seen this mod in person I highly recommend it...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not a light that you want to pass on if you have the ability/funds to own at least one. I run mine on 18650s and if you plan on doing the same, make sure to purchase one with an older body (or a leef 18650 body) as the latest ones will only fit the 17670 and primaries. I have had no problems with any if my U2s (tail switch, selector switch or other). As far as the price tag goes, your best bet is to check the marketplace, otherwise you'll be in the 200+ range and that's most likely with a non-18650 compatable body. The best mod for the U2 IMO is the Milky Quad Rebel mod which increases the max output to ~500 lumens while retaining 6 distinct levels and stock runtime. The only downside I have found with the U2 is it's anxiously awaited return home from Milky Labs. :candle:

Having seen this mod in person I highly recommend it...

LUCKY!!!
I have been thinking about that mod as well, but I've gotta get the light first and see how I like it.

....Now to go to the marketplace to sell some stuff to pick one up!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't decide if I need one.

Enough of the indecision already. You KNOW you need one!!!! I have 12 Surefires, and it is the one I grab most. I have had no problems with mine whatsoever. The ability to select six levels whether it is on or off, is priceless. It is one of the best utility lights I have ever had my hands on. The only thing I am having trouble deciding on is when I am going to have the Milk man mod it for me. I start drooling every time I think about it. In fact, I was just on the phone with him during today's outage, and he was giving me the hard sell on it. Bad, bad Scott. :devil: Anyway...back to the original question...Just buy one already. :nana:

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
Simple answer......YES!!!!

Greetings all. :wave: First post after LOTS of reading, and alot of head scratching (I now have proof for my wife that there are those more obsessed with their lights than I am).

Back to the question. I absolutely love my U2 as a "utility" type light. I guess after 18 years in law enforcement, I've become quite picky. I carry my U2, as I said, as a utility type light for crime scenes, general night time navigation, etc. As a "tactical" light, I carry-I thought this was a bit crazy until reading some threads here-an adjustable beam LED Lenser. The Lenser's focused spot keeps the light on the "bad guy", making me all but invisible (only gives him the light to aim at, and it's my job to make sure it's not next to my head :whistle:). The U2 is more of a flood than a spot, and as a result, lights me up as well.

Just my opinion. Keep in mind I'm the FNG here, and there are those who have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

By the way-forgive my ignorance-can anyone tell me about or list a link to the U2 mods everyone is talking about?

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
By all means get yourself a U2!! Great beam profile, simple UI, Surefire quality, and it's black!!

The U2 is a masterpiece......:)