TIR Lens on L1

hcd615

Enlightened
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I carry my L1 in my pocket with just say keys, will the TIR lens scratch?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF and thanks for contributing to the site. This should technically be in the LED section. With enough force, under the right conditions, using the most abrasive material everything and anything will scratch. As it relates to the L1's lens, it rated to be scratch-resistant. I've kept mine in my backpack, with keys, etca and in my coat pocket with keys, coins, etc and have never had an issue. I think the light will take normal day-to-day useage and carrying. Now, if you sit there with a screwdriver and start rubbing it on the lens, well, all bets are off.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
The lens, I am led to believe is borosilicate glass (Pyrex), and so is hard and durable, but it may be scratched by routine contact with keys etc.

Why not get a flip up cover, such as a Butler Creek scope cover to fit a 1 inch diameter.

Many people, myself included use an F04 diffuser/beamspreader all the time to overcome the L1's very tight beam, it also protects the lens.

If you would like to try the flip up scope cover method, I have one of the scope covers that I don't use any more (I use a F04 diffuser), and has been slightly trimmed to make it better suit the L1. I'd be willing to send it your way FREE OF CHARGE (in the Christmas spirit), just PM me your address if you are interested, it may take a week to arrive as I'm in Britain, but it's free.
:santa:

greenLED

Flashaholic
IIRC, there's a window in front of the actual TIR optic. So, no, the TIR wouldn't get scratched.

I've had similar experience with my old-style L1 with regards to scratches on the window - I don't think it's an issue.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've moved this thread to the LED Flashlights section.

Welcome to CPF hcd615!

SureFire's L1 features a tempered Pyrex (glass) window with Anti-Reflective (AR) coatings.

The TIR (Total Internal Reflection) optic, is made from a proprietary Cyclo-Olefin Copolymer (a non-acrylic based thermo plastic).

The optic is well protected behind the window.

BTW, Use of the term 'lens' can lead to confusion because it can be used to refer to both an optic and to a window. I feel it is better not to use the term 'lens' and use more distinctive terms to better differentiate between the components.

Best regards,
Al

Bort

Newly Enlightened
It would be interesting to see a photo of the TIR removed from the head.