Question: Brightest light for under $100?

Andresmlo

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I am new to this forum but it's definitely amazing to see so many enthusiasts. I actually need to to buy a present for a guy that doesn't actually know he is a flashlight guy. The best handheld he's got now is a princeton tec XL (17 lumens) and I was thinking a very high intensity 200+ lumens flashlight would be a good gift. The paramaters I was thinking are:

Size: Handheld (2AA, three CR123 size, etc), not a maglite 3D kind of thing.
BRIGHT: 200+ lumens if possible, if not maybe 150.
Battery: 60 min. for highest intensity.

Now I have been researching for a few days and I was planning on a Streamlight TL-3, (surefire is too expensive) it seems to offer everything; size price, power, etc. But i feel like there is something I am overlooking since I am so unfamliar with the subject.

Do any of you have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andres

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure others will chime in soon...

However there are a number of such lights...

My personal top pick for LED is the Fenix P3D Q5, just over 200 lumens (manufacturer claim)

The new Fenix T-1 deffinately appeared brighter next to the P3D Q5, however I prefer the P3D still

For incan, there are a couple of lights such as the Ultra Fire WF-500
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2571
which is 500 lumens, doesn't use the batteries you were wanting, instead uses 2 Li-Ion rechargeables, so you would need to buy 2 batts, and a charger, however all that combined should be under $100

There are others, but thoose are what come to mind first.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You might have a hard time finding a 200 lumen, 3xcr123 light that will last 60 min in the incandescent line.

For example the SF 9P will run it's 105 lumen lamp for about 60 minutes, but it's 200 lumen lamp for only 20 minutes.

The old saying is: Size, Run time, Brightness - pick two.

There are now LEDs claiming 200 lumen + which may be better for you as these traditionally have lower current draw per lumen and there fore should give you clese to the run time you are after.

Bear in mind lumen ratings vary considerably. Surefire for example consistently under rate their lights, while others quote bulb lumens (ie what the bulb produces but not necessarily what makes it out the front).

An SF lamp quoted at producing 'only' 105 lumens may well look brighter than another brand claiming to be 150, simply due to the method of measuring.

Andresmlo

Newly Enlightened
Willabbott

Thank you for your quick reply. I was thinking that the fenix overall had complicated controls but the t-1 looks great. The Ultra Fire looks incredible but requires a lot of 'user participation' to get it up to speed.

come to think of it I guess I might need to spend over 100 to get something that fits the bill

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
going above $100 won't necessarily get you a better light for what you want! There are plenty of lights with high prices that will offer far less in terms of the specs you want.

The T1 does fit the specs you outlined and should be a very simple UI (don't have mine yet). A good choice in a 2xAA format is also the Fenix L2D Rebel 100 or Q5, if you want more than 2 output modes, which is a bit below 200 lumens but otherwise fits your requirements also. Plus it uses the much cheaper AA's which your friend might appreciate.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't really need the light for anything but output, there are a few sub $50 lights Tri Cree lights that will be bright.

MX Power
KD 3 Seoul

The Fenix Lights are also great output for a 1 LED light. There is a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store for CPFers, "CPF8".

The Dereelight CL1H should be brighter and have more throw then the Fenix P3D-CE Q5 and the T1 if used with a smooth reflector(It will have similar throw with a OP reflector).

:welcome:

LedLad

Newly Enlightened
Size: Handheld (2AA, three CR123 size, etc), not a maglite 3D kind of thing.
BRIGHT: 200+ lumens if possible, if not maybe 150.
Battery: 60 min. for highest intensity.

----------------------------------------------
sorry m8....you'd have better luck hunting bigfoot.
I'd go with the Fenix T1 or P3D-CE myself (from what I've read).
Gotta remember all those huge Lumen specs are 'at the emitter'
not out the front of the light and runtimes on high with
2AA or CR123's will most likely be sub-60 min. on highest output (at least for now :) )

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2 ($36) + BOG Q5 Super Premium drop-in ($50)... for $86 (pre-shipping/taxes, etc) and 230 lumen, 3 hrs total runtime...

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes M90X Rattlesnake with a Lumens Factory HO 12 Lamp... ~550 lumens claimed output on 4 cr123s. And if you toss in an extender and 3 Li IOn Batteries you can use the EO 13 lamp for ~700 lumens.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Andresmlo, and welcome to CPF,
Many folks come here wanting the "brightest" light..... but if you are willing to trust our experience, which is why you came here, you will find we can help direct your $100 into a package that your lucky friend will actually use and enjoy for years to come.

Here you go, for a light:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

This is an excellent light, and VERY bright with over 2 hours of runtime on it's brightest level. But more than that it offers 4 levels of light, and it's quite easy to learn how to operate it. It's important to be able to select lower levels of light for when using the light closeup, or when you might need to use it all night, and being able to easily select 4 levels lets you tailor the light to your current needs.

It also uses the very common and inexpensive AA batteries, and since the light only cost $62.50 shipped, you can spend the remainder of your $100 setting your friend up with a rechargeable AA system that will let him use his new light as much as he wants, without ever having to spend any more money for quite a while..... so get this too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

These are state-of-the-art rechargeable AA batteries, that unlike previous rechargeables, hold most of their original charge for over a year.

Let's see, that item is $20.35..... and since it's eligible for super-saver free shipping..... add in some Duracell AAs for when the power goes out, and you will have spent about $90 for a primo light, and a complete rechargeable battery solution!

BINGO!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great advice, Derek Dean. Getting someone a light that uses common batteries that they are familiar with is the best way to go, and the L2D Q5 is a great light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes M90X Rattlesnake with a Lumens Factory HO 12 Lamp... ~550 lumens claimed output on 4 cr123s. And if you toss in an extender and 3 Li IOn Batteries you can use the EO 13 lamp for ~700 lumens.
+1

Also, don't forget about the new Lumens Factory 630 lumens bulb for the UltraFire WF-500 and GP-500 Scorpion. This is the cheapest and brightest combo currently available.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/new_products.php

StarHalo

Flashaholic

This sounds pretty intriguing. I see where the M90X and the EO13 are, is the extender/batteries you mention the "rechargeable conversion kit"?

LedLad

Newly Enlightened
Does the L2D CE actually have 2+ hours runtime on turbo...just wondering?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andresmlo, that TL-3 can take a Carley 1499 lamp or a halogen filled 1499 from litho123, if he still has any. Two 17500 li-ions replace three 123 cells for ~200 lumens and the advantage of rechargeability. Get an extra pair of cells for more run time.

This set up may be a bit dated in today's rapid lighting improvements. The bi-pin lamps aren't too expensive, but they can loosen if the light is dropped hard. Lamp assemblies used in some other lights don't have that problem, but are more expensive.

With the rapid advances in LEDs, that may be the way to go. The Fenix P3D isn't as bright as the TL-3, but it's close and has more features and much longer run time on the lower levels.

Good luck and have fun!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding an incandescent light in excess of 200 lumens and 60 minutes is not hard at all.

A Wolfeyes raider will fit the bill just fine either with three standard 123's for under $50, or with two 18500's and a charger for $100.

It will run you above 200 lumens for 60 minutes. i don't care about underrating or overrating or this or that, the light will put out that much light for that long on that money.

www.pts-flashlights.com

kavvika

Enlightened
Fenix T-1 or P3D Q5. Both of the Feni can be run on 2x RCR123A's. You should get well over an hour no matter which one you pick.

Or if you want incan, get a TL-3 and 2 of AW's 17500's. That's a very popular combo.

I think a Surefire with 200 lumens is a little out of the price range you gave us. Although you cant go wrong with a 6P or 9P w/ a Malkoff or BOG Q5.

Last edited: