What to do with old headlamps?

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
As I was looking through all of my headlamps, it found several I do not use anymore. While good at their inception, better things quickly came to market at these went the way of the buggy whip. I am now considering what I could do with them to bring them up to date. I need some ideas and suggestions. The criteria: 1.) Inexpensive upgrades... No need to break the bank on these when I already own better HLs and or 2.) Easy mods... never tried a down-and-dirty-solder-extravaganza.

Here's what I have:

1.) A Petzl Zoom - I know, I know... it's a lunch box. But it was my first HL and, frankly, there were not many HLs out when I got it. It took that big-*** 4.5 battery, but I have the 3AA insert, too. Is there an LED drop in? Would a Cree go in it. Would it then be worth wearing a 10 lb. brick on my nugget?

2.) Princeton Tec Vortec/Matrix - This 2AA HL was nice when I got it. It was an early self-contained HL… no back battery pack and thus (the biggest attraction for me) it was waterproof. It came with an incan module. Later, a 3 LED (5mm) module came out for it. I was so excited at the time. In retrospect, this turned out to be as useful as a crocheted prophylactic. I've rubbed my socks on carpet and created a doorknob spark that threw more light. But what if you could replace the three 5mm with SMJ LEDs or something? Or even mod the incan module? [The reason for the double name? I think the incan version was the Vortec, which was available long before the LED module PT made later. When the LED module was created, they packaged it with the Vortec and called it the Matrix… or so my memory goes.]

3.) Black Diamond Ion – Excited about this, too. So light… so little. But the two 5mm LEDs lack real light when compared to today's mini HLs. The two LEDs on my Superbright PakLite blow it away. That, and the "I have a better chance of contracting the SARS virus than finding a replacement battery", caused me to shelve it. (What is that battery, anyway? Is there an inexpensive replacement?) I just saw that BD just changed the design of this to a .5W LED for this year. But, what about this one? Can the LED's be replaced with something brighter?

4.) Cyclops Atom – Proof that at one time, someone slipped a crack rock into my drink. I saw this in the back of back of Backpacker Magazine. Found one at Bass Pro for $10. Oh… I got my back packed, alright. It uses two 2016 coin cells making this HL indispensable in an emergency… providing the emergency is over within the first 120 seconds. Any options on this one?

5.) Black Diamond Gemini – Backpackers Editors Choice Award winner. This light has served me well. Incan for throw (I use the brightest BD incan bulb) and 1 LED (later two) for proximity lighting. This light still has potential, but it needs a beef-up. Ideas?

whippoorwill

Enlightened
As I was looking through all of my headlamps, it found several I do not use anymore. While good at their inception, better things quickly came to market at these went the way of the buggy whip. I am now considering what I could do with them to bring them up to date. I need some ideas and suggestions. The criteria: 1.) Inexpensive upgrades... No need to break the bank on these when I already own better HLs and or 2.) Easy mods... never tried a down-and-dirty-solder-extravaganza.

Here's what I have:

1.) A Petzl Zoom - I know, I know... it's a lunch box. But it was my first HL and, frankly, there were not many HLs out when I got it. It took that big-*** 4.5 battery, but I have the 3AA insert, too. Is there an LED drop in? Would a Cree go in it. Would it then be worth wearing a 10 lb. brick on my nugget?

2.) Princeton Tec Vortec/Matrix - This 2AA HL was nice when I got it. It was an early self-contained HL… no back battery pack and thus (the biggest attraction for me) it was waterproof. It came with an incan module. Later, a 3 LED (5mm) module came out for it. I was so excited at the time. In retrospect, this turned out to be as useful as a crocheted prophylactic. I've rubbed my socks on carpet and created a doorknob spark that threw more light. But what if you could replace the three 5mm with SMJ LEDs or something? Or even mod the incan module? [The reason for the double name? I think the incan version was the Vortec, which was available long before the LED module PT made later. When the LED module was created, they packaged it with the Vortec and called it the Matrix… or so my memory goes.]

3.) Black Diamond Ion – Excited about this, too. So light… so little. But the two 5mm LEDs lack real light when compared to today's mini HLs. The two LEDs on my Superbright PakLite blow it away. That, and the "I have a better chance of contracting the SARS virus than finding a replacement battery", caused me to shelve it. (What is that battery, anyway? Is there an inexpensive replacement?) I just saw that BD just changed the design of this to a .5W LED for this year. But, what about this one? Can the LED's be replaced with something brighter?

4.) Cyclops Atom – Proof that at one time, someone slipped a crack rock into my drink. I saw this in the back of back of Backpacker Magazine. Found one at Bass Pro for $10. Oh… I got my back packed, alright. It uses two 2016 coin cells making this HL indispensable in an emergency… providing the emergency is over within the first 120 seconds. Any options on this one?

5.) Black Diamond Gemini – Backpackers Editors Choice Award winner. This light has served me well. Incan for throw (I use the brightest BD incan bulb) and 1 LED (later two) for proximity lighting. This light still has potential, but it needs a beef-up. Ideas?

You would make a great stand up comic! :crackup:You can add the BD Moonlight to the list also.

nzbazza

Enlightened
As I was looking through all of my headlamps, it found several I do not use anymore.

I have the same problem, some 25 H/L's unused. You should hear the wife on the subject. Her suggestion was to grow some more heads...:eek: and the kids can only play/wreak so many...

1, I have no idea what to do with my Petzl Zoom, the thought of wearing 300g of HL gives me a headache these days. Guess I'm spoilt using a ZL H50 weighing in at only 60g. Imagine the r/t with 3LED's and that 4.5V slab:naughty:

3, BD Ion: the 6V battery can be replaced with 4 LR44 button cells. The ion can be simply unscrewed and replace the 2 LED's with some Nichia CS/DS LED's to get at least twice the lumen output.

4, I'm ashamed to admit that I have two of these H/L (different brand though) and in my defense I brought them in my pre-CPF days. About the only redeeming feature is they came with Nichia CS that I have now used in a more deserving HL. You can use 2x 2032 batteries to give you c. 15 min of goodlight before fading.

6, BD moonlight: you can replace the LEDs with some new Nichia's quite easily. I still use my moonlight regularly.

Probably not the solutions you are looking for, sorry.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave over 30 HL's to a BoyScout troop - some i wish i kept, but at least they're being used now.

kids at church and in the neighborhood are recipients of some of my HL's & flashlights also - as well as NiMH cells and chargers (for this their parents really thank me - kids are none to easy goin' on batteries!!!). no Li-ion for the kids though!!

i figure that there are worse things a kid could get into collecting and if they ever get into mods, that can be educational.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd graciously accept them for "Community Earthquake Kits"!

You think I'm joking? I like that Boy Scout idea as well!

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
Giving them to kids is always on my docket. My daughter and nephews are some of the most illuminated kids around town. But when I read about all the flashaholics doing all these mods to make something good, great, it really appeals to me. It seems to me that these HLs can be transformed into something better and I could have a little fun at the same time. Only, I lack the knowledge of the parts/skills I need to accomplish this. There are a lot of you out there who have a lot of experience.

nzbazza (or anyone) - where would I get CS/DS LEDs? What is the difference? Will it be a direct fit? How do they differ from the SMJ LEDs I red about?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well For the PT Matrix, there was a brief thread about Quickbeam upgrading one a month ago. I'm awaiting some SMJLEDs to try it with mine.
No idea what the cyclops atom is, don't think I should really care wither. :p
The PT Icon should be easily upgradeable if they're 5mm LEDs.
I have a model similar to the Gemini, with a decnt incan bulb and a weak little blue LED that runs off of its own odd little 6V battery. I haven't had any ideas on how to mod this one other than maybe replace that terrible angry led.
Finally, the Petzl; I think that most petzl incans used potted bulbs. So, can't you just use a Terralux dropin to turn it into LED? I can't think of any beefier incan bulb that would run well off the top of my head but I'm sure I could find something and try to use it with a bipin adaptor.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Don't know where you live, but around here there are a large number of migrants who go searching through dumpsters and such for recyclables at night. I gave my old home depot bought (can't remember brand) headlights to a couple of those guys.

Boyscout troop sounds like a good idea too.

On the other hand, changing out the led's might not be too hard, I wouldn't bother with anything that uses hard to find non-rechargeables though...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy LED replacement bulbs for your 2, 3 and 4 cell SCREW-Based bulbs at www.led-replacement.com.

The 2 cell is the LS233 1 watt, 3 volt.

The 3 cell is the LS365 1 watt, 4.5 volt.

The 4 cell is the LS407 1 watt, 6 volt.

They also have the PR based LED bulbs.

I got one of these for my old Petzl Micro which uses the LS233 screw-based bulb. Put two AA lithium's in it and it makes a good emergency stash light for your bag, work, or your car).

Last edited: