Fenix Digital LOD, a couple questions

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Looking around on here, I first started off with surefire(I'm sure you all read my other thread about which one I wanted to buy.) But I'm curious about this little Fenix light, judging by the looks of it, it seems like it would be the same size as a Mag-Lite Solitare right? Obviously I don't think it would put out 50 lumens like it says it would just because.. I'm skeptical and it seems like surefire is the only ones that live up to their lumen claims. Would it be safe to assume that it would at least put out 30-40ish? Whatever the case, it's only 40 bucks and will probably be 10x brighter than the mag-lite solitare... what do you all think? Is it worth having it on my keys?

I would like to have a light on my keys since when I'm at school(I'm still in high school) I obviously won't have the L1 I'm getting on me, and this little fenix light is tiny.

Marduke

Flashaholic
About the same size as a Solitaire, but the Q4 version puts out 75 lumens. Keep in mind, that Fenix isn't overestimating their lumens, they just measure different than other manufacturers. Surefire rates torch lumens, where most others rate emitter lumens. That being said, the LOD Q4 is capable of putting out around 140-160 torch lumens on a 10440 and over 50 torch lumens on a NiMH.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Surefire over rates runtime, where Fenix is spot on, and often underestimates when coupled with quality cells.

meuge

Enlightened
Looking around on here, I first started off with surefire(I'm sure you all read my other thread about which one I wanted to buy.) But I'm curious about this little Fenix light, judging by the looks of it, it seems like it would be the same size as a Mag-Lite Solitare right? Obviously I don't think it would put out 50 lumens like it says it would just because.. I'm skeptical and it seems like surefire is the only ones that live up to their lumen claims. Would it be safe to assume that it would at least put out 30-40ish? Whatever the case, it's only 40 bucks and will probably be 10x brighter than the mag-lite solitare... what do you all think? Is it worth having it on my keys?

I would like to have a light on my keys since when I'm at school(I'm still in high school) I obviously won't have the L1 I'm getting on me, and this little fenix light is tiny.

It's a very nice light. Check out the review here:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm

If you compare its total output to the Surefire E2E, using the flashlightreviews.com comparison chart, then you get:

E2E (60 Surefire Lumens): Total output of 40
LOD-CE: Total output (high) of 33.80

Since these measurements are internally consistent, we can now calculate the the LOD-CE (P4) on high will produce 50.7 Surefire lumens.

The new LOD-CE (Q4) will produce about 15% more light, so it'll produce about 58 Surefire lumens.

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
After reading that review and seeing the pictures I think I'll just get the LOD-CE... it should be all I need in terms of key chain friendliness and it's more than bright enough, and it's black, the red one just wouldn't mesh with my key chain and style of clothing and all that jazz.. and for a few dollars more I can throw in a KM6 knife, just to play with.

Thanks for your info

GBone

Newly Enlightened
The L0D CE is a wise choice, you won't be disappointed!

I can't seem to buy enough of them as gifts, for each one I give out two people come asking...

Enjoy! :thumbsup: