CL1H or M1-T??

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Specifically, I'm talking about the CL1H v3.0 2SM (Q5) vs the Tactical M1 SE Q5.

I'm looking to buy exactly what these two flashlights are made to be: compact all-purpose flashlights with great throw. However, I'm suprised by the lack of information on the latest models of these lights.

First, a very simple question: what's the difference between Dereelight's digital and manual dropins? Are the manual ones fully regulated? If not, that drops the whole point of this thread, as I need a regulated light, and the digital version of the Dereelight has very poor regulation.

I am leaning towards the Dereelight so far because it seems that, with the third edition, Dereelight has finally come out with a refined product, without the blotches, irregularities, and small problems usually characteristic of a new product. Beyond that, it seems that it has a higher center lux, better water-proofing, and a tougher lens, besides being smaller.

However, LumaPower is known for more refined products, and in some posts is listed as having a higher center lux.

What I am most after in this thread is runtime. There is no data on the newest versions, and the data on the older versions vary hugely.

Does anybody have one or both of these lights? Any comments or opinions?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight Digital pills, 2SD, 3SD, etc, are designed to work with 18650 batteries, and offer very flat regulation (constant output of light until the battery runs down too much) , and they drive the Q5 WC at 1.2A. WC is the tint bin, WC is known as being cool white, and one of the premium bins, and many feel looks the brightest.

The 2SM, is a two-stage pill, and levels are selected by twisting the body and head. The pill also allows for more battery options, 18650, 2xCR123's, etc. However, it doesn't drive the Q5 as hard, I've heard only 800mA. It's not really optimized for the higher Vf Q5's, so 18650's may not perform well once they drop in voltage a little. However, it's a handy pill to have incase you need to run primary CR123's.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M1 SE, (sorry I did not see this thread) and like it a lot. That being said, the CL1H has some things going for it that the M1 does not and vice versa. The CL1H has a body adjustable high/low. This lets you have a forward switch and still have two levels. The M1 has a two stage reverse switch, but the forward switch is a one stage (high only) switch.

The M1 has a great beam...most likely 11k or more lux at the spot with the smooth reflector and 7k with the textured. (only guessing until I get my lux meter, but I have had enough other lights that others have measured including the rebel version to get a fairly accurate guess I believe)

The M1 will use primaries/2xrcr123a's and 18650's. I am sure the dedicated 18650 versions of the CL1H are way brighter than the M1 on a 18650, but then you loose the ability to use primaries.

Both lights look well refined and well made. Both I believe are reliable based on all the posts.

I picked the M1 because I like American vendors and Batteryjunction in particular. I do not like waiting a unknown time for a light to arrive from China...and I do not like the thought of the time involved for warranty work If something had to be sent back there.

So I picked the M1 and am very happy with it. Should a CL1H come up on the B/S/T (q5 18650 version) you better buy it quick before I do, because it looks like a great light as well.

But the M1 SE has been my favorite light so far...even more than the Tiablo A8Q5. And, I really like HAIII Black!

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for responding, although I really meant to try to get more varied input and not just bug the people I've been pming...

both of you mentioned batteries, but there's no need: currently I own nothing but AAs, so I'll be buying batteries based on my flashlight :grin2:

The CL1H's switch is pulling me in...

WadeF - have you seen x2x3x2's (right name?) graph on the CL1H v3.0 2SD on his site? It shows almost no regulation :confused: (on an 18650)

I won't ask about brightness until you get the latest pill :grin2:

woodrow - you say the m1 q5 has a great beam - does that mean it's not very ringy with a smooth reflector? Also, how well regulated is it with an 18650? (which rechargeable batteries are best in it?)
I know the A8 Q5 has almost twice as much throw as the m1 q5, but would you say one or the other is brighter overall?

What I really need now is for you two to exchange flashlights and tell me which one is better made :naughty:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
deleted again - sorry, cpf was screwing up... said there was a database error and didn't post, then posted all 3 attempts at once...

Last edited: