Just ordered an Inova T3

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
And now I think I may be regretting it. Unfortunately I found this site after ordering. My friend has an Inova X5 and loves it, so I figured I'd just get something to outdo him, and got the same brand. Now that I see some of your recommendations, looks like a Fenix L2D CE would have been a better choice. I don't like the thought of using 123A batteries as they are more expensive, and doesn't seem to be any good rechargeables for it. Should I sell this Inova when I get it and get the Fenix instead? I'm new to good flashlights, and all I know is I want it to be brighter than my friends X5, about the size of a minimag, no larger than the T3 for sure, and the sound of AA sounds good for the fact that I already have a ton of rechargeables for that.

Or should I keep the T3 and suck it up and spend money on batteries. Do you recommend rechargeables for it, and what brand if so?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions! :NOOB:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you really do have bad timing. Innova is upgrading their production lines with cree now also. I don't think Innova lights works on rechargables, just something I've heard. Not sure if it's the diameter of the tube or the circuit who can't handle them. If it's the circuit, there are 3.0V rechargables, allthough they have less mah than regular RCR123(who has less charge than CR123 primaries).

Your friends X5 is different light, more of a floodlight since it has multiple emitters. It's not very bright by todays standard, almost any AA-light today will outperform it when it comes to brightness. Allthough it is still a pretty popular light here cause it has a reputation of being bombproof and utterly reliable.

And yes, the Fenix L2D Q5 is an excellent light, unbelievable bright, outstanding runtimes, reliable and runs on regular AA that you can find anywhere, cheap. You can't go wrong with one.

Speedball

Newly Enlightened
This may not answer your question but I have the Inova XO3 and the quality of the light itself is outstanding. I don't have a problem with the cr123's at all because my light may get a lot of shelf time and will always be ready to use. On the other hand I bought my wife a single cell P1??Q-cr123 Fenix and it is extremely bright.:eek: ......Maybe it's a personal choice thing?

Good Luck.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
And yes, the Fenix L2D Q5 is an excellent light, unbelievable bright, outstanding runtimes, reliable and runs on regular AA that you can find anywhere, cheap. You can't go wrong with one.

Yep, you just talked me into getting it lol. It will undoubtebly work with rechargeable AA's, right? No reason I can think of why it wouldn't.

I'll probably ask the ebay seller I bought the T3 from if I can cancel my order if he hasn't already shipped it. If he won't, I will just resell it on ebay. Surely I'll get the money back, but I may have to eat the shipping costs.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you just talked me into getting it lol. It will undoubtebly work with rechargeable AA's, right? No reason I can think of why it wouldn't.

Yep, in fact, it works better on rechargables. Alkalines can't handle the workload as well as NiMH batteries. But they will work in a pinch, which is the beauty of L2D. You can almost ALWAYS be able to get some AA cells wherever you are. Just pilfer from a tv-remote etc.
Good luck and :welcome:.

jdmaxima89

Newly Enlightened
Yep, in fact, it works better on rechargables. Alkalines can't handle the workload as well as NiMH batteries. But they will work in a pinch, which is the beauty of L2D. You can almost ALWAYS be able to get some AA cells wherever you are. Just pilfer from a tv-remote etc.
Good luck and :welcome:.

Thanks! How does this compare in size to a minimag though??? Surely it will fit comfortably in my side pocket in my carpenter jeans.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll probably ask the ebay seller I bought the T3 from if I can cancel my order if he hasn't already shipped it. If he won't, I will just resell it on ebay. Surely I'll get the money back, but I may have to eat the shipping costs.
Welcome! Unfortunately it may cost you a couple bucks but that's how we learn yes? My suggestion would be to read all you can here and ask questions about lights (there is alot to learn as I found out) and then decide. TAKE YOUR TIME, you don't need every new light that comes out trust me on that one. And enjoy! Lights are more fun than I ever imagined they would be. :welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D-CE Q5 is only slightly longer then the Minimag and is a bit thinner. It is also compatible with the P2D(1 CR123), and L1D(1 AA) battery tube.

There is also the Powerpack which contains a P2D-CE Q5, L1D body and tailcap, and a diffuser. There is also a 8% off coupon at Fenix Store who also includes shipping in the price you see, "CPF8" is the coupon.

:welcome:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't sell your inova, 2xAW17500's should work fine in it. (their size is the same as 3x123a batteries)

lumenal

Enlightened
Thanks! How does this compare in size to a minimag though??? Surely it will fit comfortably in my side pocket in my carpenter jeans.

I've got an L2D and I use it strictly with rechargeables, (Sony 2700s), in fact, it was basically made for NiMH (although other battery types will work.)

As far as size, the L2D is maybe a millimeter or 2 longer than a minimag, and with a slimmer head, so there will be no problem fitting it in the side pocket of your carpenter jeans.

You can't go wrong with an L2D, as someone else here said, its the "Leatherman" of flashlights. Alot of lighting options included in a light that uses common AA cells.

The Inova (I have 7 of their various models) will have a tougher build with a hard-anodize finish that is among the best in the business, but its emitters are dated and nothing like the new "power LEDs". (CREE, Seoul SemiConductor P4s and LumiLEDs Rebel to name a few).

The LumiLEDs K2 (in newer high-end Inovas) is close, but sorely lacking in efficiency compared to these power LEDs.

Lobo says Inova is updating their line with CREE emitters - a smart move - even Energizer and Rayovac have already done that with some of their lights.

You are in for a treat when you light up your new L2D Q5, thats for sure! :twothumbs

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an Inova T3 for over a year or so, and like it. Give it a try, you may end up liking it, and maybe your friend will be so impressed with it he may want to buy it from you, allowing you to get the newer version when it comes out. At the same time, you'd be fostering your buddy's flashaholism!

kavvika

Enlightened
If you can't sell your inova, 2xAW17500's should work fine in it. (their size is the same as 3x123a batteries)

Have you tried that or just stating based on the dimensions? I remember reading that protected 17500's were too wide to fit, but unprotected's would. A Cree T3 w/ 2x AW's 17500's would be my perfect light.

garence

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Lumenal--the Inova T series lights are extremely rugged. The surface is more of a matte finish than Fenix lights and tolerates more abuse without showing it. I've got a T2 that has had about 2.5 years of use and it looks great.

However, as Lobo pointed out, Inova hasn't yet made the move to Cree. That's why you can get some good deals on Inova lights if you look hard enough (like $49 for the T5). Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, so I'm sure some folks will still buy current production Inova lights.

One thing I've noticed about the Cree LED design is a more pronounced flicker effect (witnessed in my latest Fenix L0D CE), similar to what you see on some LED car tail lights--you move your eyes around and you see flickering in your peripheral vision. This can be annoying when you're using the light for long periods. The older LED technology in the Inova is flicker-free.

One other thing -- if the seller is a bit reluctant on letting you cancel the bid, you can offer to cover the eBay relisting fee (it's not much).

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
... One thing I've noticed about the Cree LED design is a more pronounced flicker effect (witnessed in my latest Fenix L0D CE), similar to what you see on some LED car tail lights--you move your eyes around and you see flickering in your peripheral vision. This can be annoying when you're using the light for long periods. The older LED technology in the Inova is flicker-free...
The flickering is because of the L0D-CE using PWM to dim the light and not because of the design of the LED. The AA and CR123 Fenix don't use PWM(they use current regulation) so there won't be any flickering. Another fix for the flicker option is a very quick PWM frequency.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried that or just stating based on the dimensions? I remember reading that protected 17500's were too wide to fit, but unprotected's would. A Cree T3 w/ 2x AW's 17500's would be my perfect light.

:oops: You are right. I used the 17500's in my SL TL-3 light then sold them with the light before I bought the 2007 T3. Since the T3 was thicker at the battery tube than the TL-3, I thought that 17500's would fit. I just opened it, and the 123a's fit pretty tightly. 3x3.7v 123a lights might fit though. I only use mine as a comparison against my cree lights, so I would be willing to risk frying it. If it will take 9 volts...it should take 12...right:whistle:
str.gif
:poof:
yellowlaugh.gif

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I have Ultralast 3.0V RCR123's in my T2 & T3, and they work/fit just fine. The 3.0V batts have about half the runtime of a primary CR123, but they RCR123's pay for themselves quickly, even if you have an extra set on hand. Bought my batts from Frys in Indy.

Roger

chee

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2007 T3 as well and while it does not throw as well as some of my Cree lights, I like it and the beam it puts out a lot. I don't use it a lot becos' of the fact I can't use my AW rechargeables on it - and it needs 3 batteries!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2007 T3 as well and while it does not throw as well as some of my Cree lights, I like it and the beam it puts out a lot. I don't use it a lot becos' of the fact I can't use my AW rechargeables on it - and it needs 3 batteries!

Try two 17500's.

I haven't heard that Inova is updating to Cree or Rebel, but I would assume they are now!

steve_vance

Enlightened
Yep, you really do have bad timing. Innova is upgrading their production lines with cree now also. I don't think Innova lights works on rechargables, just something I've heard. Not sure if it's the diameter of the tube or the circuit who can't handle them. If it's the circuit, there are 3.0V rechargables, allthough they have less mah than regular RCR123(who has less charge than CR123 primaries).

Your friends X5 is different light, more of a floodlight since it has multiple emitters. It's not very bright by todays standard, almost any AA-light today will outperform it when it comes to brightness. Allthough it is still a pretty popular light here cause it has a reputation of being bombproof and utterly reliable.

I have it on VERY good authority that the whole Inova-Cree thing is an unsubstantiated rumor. Don't ask me where I got my info, cuz I can't and won't tell you, but Inova will NOT be using Cree. They will be using the NEW
K2, which according to reports I've seen beats the crap out of the 7090 X-lamp Cree.
The new lights will be out in February.
That being said, you simply can't compare Inova and Fenix in quality and value.

garence

Newly Enlightened
The flickering is because of the L0D-CE using PWM to dim the light and not because of the design of the LED. The AA and CR123 Fenix don't use PWM (they use current regulation) so there won't be any flickering. Another fix for the flicker option is a very quick PWM frequency.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Peak LED Solutions has regulated power in their AAA lights... but they don't have the benefit of CREE brightness. Anyway, I've got an AA CREE coming from DealExtreme, so I'm relieved that it won't suffer any flicker. :)