fenix on a bike?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
anyone have a fenix mounted to their bike?
what mount did you use?
(how much or link would be helpful info too)
which fenix or other similiar light did you go with.
a fellow cpf'er pm'ed me saying he was mounting one to a bike and got me a little curious.
i always used 53led bike light from dx.
but i have a couple fenixs and one more on the way.

mechBgon

Enlightened
It appears that the Fenix 360 mount is only for 25.4mm-26.0mm bars, and nowdays many bikes run 31.8mm oversized, so check that before committing to the 360. Consider the TwoFish lockblocks as another option.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I use a Fenix P3D with the TwoFish block... I usually have the P3D helmet-mounted for twisty, singletrack trails with a second 1x18650 light mounted on the handlebars for ambient light. Fenix Store stocks the TwoFish blocks: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_66&products_id=274.

Even with a proper, helmet-mounted bike light, this is a pretty popular setup as there are several threads about this... Just do a search for 'TwoFish Blocks' or check out the following thread... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181470&highlight=TwoFish or this thread... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177017&highlight=TwoFish

Last edited:

bazzers

Newly Enlightened

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to do it, but I have a lockblock and a P1-CE waiting to go when the snow melts.

Last edited:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I both use Fenix P3D's mounted to TwoFish blocks on our handlebars, with great success. We have not experienced output switching related to joshling. I usually also have a Fenix P1D mounted to my helmet.

Frank

txmatt

Enlightened
We use an L2D-CE and P1D-CE as bike lights with Twofish blocks. They provide plenty of light for neighborhood road riding and we've never had any problems with them changing modes.

Stromberg

Enlightened
I'm using TwoFish Lockblock and L2T v2.0(which is also my main EDC). Works decently even in well lit city(& snow) and is in fact brighter than some lights I've seen in mopeds.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that L2D-CE (and likely similar digital-head Fenix lights) can have a hard time staying in High or Medium modes (High and Med. will be quickly switched to Low), leaving only choice between Turbo and Low. Road vibrations shake batteries against the internal switch, resulting in specific mode changes. See this thread, "Weird Fenix L2D-CE behavior":
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2144532
notably my post
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2147370&postcount=3

--Bazzers

I use a piece of paper rolled around cr123a in my p3d as a sleeve to reduce battery rattle, try that, maybe it helps.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I've mounted various lights, Fenix lights included, to my 31.8 bars using a modified reflector clamp like those used to attach reflectors to bars or seatposts. Just remove the reflector and you've got a ring. Then, attach the light with reusable zip ties or the like and you're set -- at least for a road bike.

For a MTB where you're likely to see much more "action", a stronger mount is preferred. I've used a combination of zip ties and that grey M3 mountain tape (the rubbery stuff) with good results, but only once or twice. I've since gathered some bike-specific lights for the MTB.

I still prefer a simple flashlight for the road -- as described above. Much smaller and with LED's getting more efficient and brighter by the year...you can't lose. :)

- Chris

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been using just a block of foam with four #64 rubber bands to attach various powerfull lights, lately just an 18650 DX Cree light. I got the twofish lockblocks from David at Fenix store, and while they are quick and convinient, I had a major problem compared to my home made setup. With about a half inch of rubber between the light body and the bike's bar, no matter how hard I cinched it up, the light would bounce when I hit moderate bumps (rigid fork). The effect was almost like a strobe on rough road, and has driven me back to rubber bands. No one else has this problem?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lend around several lights occasionaly and used these cheap multiholders from DX for that (lights are wider than Fenixes)
unfortunately these holders are crap and usually die during short number of uses

BUT
its really interesting that even these not fit all bars, there seem to be at least three diameters (other than the ones of my bars)
AND
the mounting position on a real mountainbike is not directly at the stem usually. Ppl not having lights tend to have other things clamped there - which means the holder absolutley has to be able to correct the position sideways
thats why the twofish is useless, imho.

and the Fenix bike holder is too large, ugly and wobby (between lamp and bar mounting plates).

thats why most ppl using Fenixes here, make their own holder from house eletronics parts.
These are used for bumpy rides also and really work
As I dont know how they are called at Your place, maybe the pic helps:

aun0bvbcnscx6u9o4.jpg

watch out for the screw not to be too large to scratch anything!

LightBright

Enlightened
My P1D-CE fits just fine on the old Cygolite mount I previously used with dual 10 watt halogens. http://www.shop.cygolite.com/category.sc?categoryId=34

I tightly wrap the Fenix with some velcro strips in a cross pattern.
I can adjust the light's direction just enough and the light doesn't fall off.

My P1D-CE still has that "dark ring" halo around the bright center beam which isn't so great, I keep intending to pull the head apart and readjust it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Many people use the twofish block for mounting their lights.

There are also many people who use their Fenix lights as bike-lights.

I've mounted various lights to my bike...I suppose I could try a fenix:ohgeez:
I use two hose strainers to form an 8 shaped mount, wrapped the bike frame and the light with a piece of inner tube to prevent scratching and improve grip

works like a charm :whistle: