Brick and Mortar frustrations.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I decided to get my stepfather an E2E for Christmas this year. He's loved mine since he first saw it, and knows how to appreciate and take care of good tools. I do my best to support local stores, too. Unfortunately for me, the only two local Surefire dealers I know of are Bass Pro Shops and a Case cutlery store, both of which are in the Opry Mills mall. I really dont like that mall.

But with the best of hopes, the wife and I drove down to Nashville this past Saturday night to have a good time at the mall and enjoy an evening out. We waited an hour in traffic to get into the parking lot. We parked about 1/2 miles from the building and hiked in, then fought and battled our way through the crowds to the Bass Pro Shop.

Once inside the store, it was just about impossible to find someone to open the locked case to get the light out. I understand it's a busy time of year, but is it too much to ask that we might not have to ask 6 employees to get a light, or call someone for us? After waiting 45 minutes, only to be told that the line was about 30 minutes long and we would have to get in line, wait, then call the guy with the flashlight back once we got to the register, we just gave up. Onward, to the Case store!

The other store was significantly less crowded, and in no time I was browsing their case, wondering if perhaps I could convince my wife that since we were here anyway, I needed an M6. :poke:

I couldnt.

But back to the story; I noticed their plain, basic E2E was tagged 95.00. Dont get me wrong, they can charge whatever they want. That's how the market works. But at the same time, I like to haggle. I may not get a better deal, but I have to at least try because it works quite often. In either case, I was prepared at that point to pay their full price, plus sales tax, for the light.

So I made my way to the counter, and told the lady I was interested in the E2, and needed someone to open the case. As we walked back to it, I asked if they could make me a better deal on it. I pointed out that the Bass Pro Shop had the same light for 85, and even if they couldnt price match it, maybe we could just take off the sales tax or something similar. Even if she said no, I was going to buy the light.

But she couldnt just say no. Instead, she responded with "Sir, that's not possible. We're the lowest price anywhere on these lights." Well. I'll be dipped. I told her that I had just been down there, and that their competitor did indeed have the exact same light (NOT the HA-III finish, just to be specific) for ten dollars less. "sir", she responded "I'm afraid you're wrong. We're cheaper than the manufacturer on these lights. That's why the Army buys from us." I didnt know what to say. I was flabbergasted, and by this point, tired of dealing with her. :poof: goes the sale, to say the least. "Oh," I said. "Well in that case, I'll have to reconsider my purchase. Thank you for your time." So we left, stopped for supper, then spent an hour and a half getting back through traffic and home. I fired up the computer, moseyed on over to the Surefire website, and ordered the exact same light for 79.00, then decided to pick up a box of batteries too. Even with overnight shipping, my total for the light and the batteries was within a dollar of what the light alone would have cost locally, with sales tax.

My complaint isnt so much the higher prices. My problem was that not only did the clerk call me a liar twice, but then she lied to me. It might not have been intentional. She might really be that misinformed, in which case the issue lies higher up, with whomever gave her that information. But good grief! I deal with customers every day, and when I get unsure on a pricing issue, I politely explain that I want to help them, but ultimately that decision lies with my supervisor. I then get the client in touch with my boss. I'd never dream of telling a customer that I didnt care what the competition was offering, no matter what proof they had of it, that our quote was less expensive.

Brick and mortar stores, in my experience, just cant compete on prices with online stores. That's fine. I'll pay more for good local service. That's where the B&M stores can blow online shops out of the water. In my experience, most of them do. I'll pay more for a chainsaw, because the dealer met me at his shop late one night when I needed something to finish a job I had to get done. I'll pay more for my power tools, because I know my tool guy will give me a loaner to use while mine are out for repair. I'll pay an extra few hundred for a set of tires, because the tire guy came out and met me on the side of the interstate one night when my trailer decided to blow out 3 tires at one time. The people are friendly, they'll go the extra mile, and they can usually find a way to resolve the issue within a few minutes, which is something online stores may not be able to do. I'll pay more for that.

But after my experience in the Case store? Looks like I'm going to have to find a gun shop with Surefire lights, or convince my chainsaw dealer to start getting them for me if I want to buy locally.

That's all. Just needed to vent. :D

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it wasn't a coincidence why the Shepherd Hills Cutlery store was less crowded when you visited.
I'll bet the people at Case would love to hear about this. Shepherd Hills is suposed to be a "Master" dealer.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have taken out a digital camera and brought her a picture of the light in basspro at a lower price. And, as many large public areas have wifi, I'd likely have shown her prices from surefire's website and other e-tailers as well.

I've always loved a good debate that I couldn't loose. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd have taken out a digital camera and brought her a picture of the light in basspro at a lower price. And, as many large public areas have wifi, I'd likely have shown her prices from surefire's website and other e-tailers as well.

I've always loved a good debate that I couldn't lose. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Thing is though.... They don't care!

Tell someone in retail you can get the same item for less online. Usually you'll hear, "Well, that's up to you Sir."

What they're actually thinking is, "Then go buy it online and stop wasting my time!"

They don't care. And many folks have no clue how much the retail Sales Associates honestly don't give a $#^%.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, at Plaza Cutlery they carry full lines of lots of companies, they carry surefires, and although they are more expensive, it gives you peace of mind knowing that you were able to handle the product first, and that they took interest in the sale.

Akita

Newly Enlightened
:devil: I don't have any frustrations concerning B&M stores because I avoid all of them like the plague.

Ignorant sales people,owners with snobbish attitudes,and service departments staffed with idiots who are usually the store owner's drug addicted relatives who are only hired to keep them off the street and out of rehab.

As someone else just mentioned...they frankly don't give a S**t.

Order it off the net and save the money and grief of dealing with people who act like they are doing you a favor just letting you buy something from them at inflated prices...no thanks,I'll pass.

It's price all the way...service I can get under warranty from the factory.

:eek::eek:

I would not waste any effort returning to either store.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send off a letter to both the store manager and case, describing just what you told us. It won't change anything for you, but it just might help the next guy down the line.

Illum

Flashaholic

I've always loved a good debate that I couldn't loose. Sometimes I can't help myself.

thats useful though :grin2:
here its probably best avoided but from in Asian countries, it'll save you from wasting alot of money

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The people on the floor in large/chain retail stores are usually full of crap and doesn't really know anything. If you did three hour research on the internet you probably know more than them. I've never met a salesman that's actually useful in a b&m store.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I do most of my Christmas shopping online. This year I happened to have two orders that required some support after the items arrived. One item was damaged. I had a replacement at my doorstep 3 days later. And all it took was one 5 minute phone call. The other order I had a problem with was that one of the items was missing a few pieces. This order happened to be a Cabelas order. I called them up expecting to be on hold for a bit, nope my call was answered immediately and within 5 minutes they said they were going to ship me a replacement. It's very hard to beat that level of customer service and speed! I worked Customer Service for many years and I had about lost hope that anybody cared about customer service anymore. My experiences this year have changed my mind.

I went out today to the local mall to help my dad with some of his Christmas shopping. He kept commenting that the mall seemed empty, especially for less than a week before Christmas. We finally decided that other area malls had cut into their business and they were also probably feeling some of the effects of more people shopping online. And..... Santa wasn't even available... his chair was empty with a sign in it. I was too far away to read the sign. I guess maybe Santa has taken his business online now! Most kids have email so why not?!?!

Bushman5

Enlightened
Cabelas service is incredible! I hvae had nothing but positive dealings with them. I wish my local outdoors stores wer as good. Sadly they are not, so i shop online. Its worth the few bucks of duties and shipping.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I may email the Case company later tonight. I dont expect anything from it, but it might do some good.

I've had some great service from online retailers (Ham Radio Outlet, in Atlanta, really stands out) but I still like to shop locally as much as I can.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You know, it's one thing when a store person is misinformed, it's a completely different story when they 1. Try to rub their nonsense onto somebody who knows better and 2. They disrespect you by treating you like a liar. Sorry you had to go through all that!

One more reason to stop by the CPF Specials thread and support your CPF-friendly dealer (who, in turn, supports the CPF family)! :D

(no, I don't get kick-backs for sending people over to my own thread, but I started it because I was looking for good deals from reliable sources in the first place, and, well... from 2 dealers it's grown into what it is today)