Cree Q5 pistol light

turan8

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post for CPF, I was wondering what everyone thought of this idea. I wanted to also post in the LED forum since it get many, many more views than where I originally posted this thread.

I was going to get a G&P m3 pistol light which is a replica of the famous insight m3 pistol light. The chief advantage of the G&P over the Insight model however is the fact that it uses regular P60 bulb assemblies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-M3-Tactical-...QQcmdZViewItem
review here:
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Reviews/m3light.htm

I was thinking that if I were to use the G&P on a real pistol I'd rather use an LED since this is an airsoft replica it might not be shock insulated. However if I were to possibly use a Q5 P60 module from ebay or bugout gear and RCR123 batteries I could have a good working pistol light that could duke out with any of the higher priced surefire or streamlight models--and cost less.

So what does everyone think?

I was thinking about mounting this on my .40SW Sig Pro using a surefire rail adapter.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a surefire.
EBAYSHIT443.jpg

Phaetos

Enlightened
Now that's a gun light! I'd be more scared of why I couldn't see as to what was attached to the light :laughing:

pbs357

Enlightened
...whoa...

:eek:oo:

"...I don't remember much your honor... I tried to rob this guy, next thing I know I see a blinding light, like the sun! A second later, I hear a bang, then I'm knocked to the ground... I think he shot me with one of those laser ray guns from Star Wars."

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get back on track
Your idea is interesting.
I wouldn't trust the light as it sits to be sturdy enough to handle any real recoil.
But with a Q5 it might be a viable solution. The main concern is if the body is plastic it may not be able to manage the heat issue that high powered LED's have. Since it is G&P and they tend to be "surefire" compatible you may be able to get an aluminum bezel like a leaf and that would help with heat management.

If the bezel and body are metal it might actually work well with a P4 or Q5

Sounds like a an interesting idea

BigD64

Enlightened
I'd go with a Surefire X300. Bright beam with good spill. And there is no doubt it can take the punishment.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn thats nice!!!! If i was playing airsoft or paintball i wouldn't need the gun!!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with a Surefire X300. Bright beam with good spill. And there is no doubt it can take the punishment.

Some people just do not have the funding for the X300, I'm one of them. I would like to modify my TLR to use a P4. I don't deny that if the money is available there are very very good options like the X300 available. But some of us are on limited budgets and an X300 is a major purchase.

personally, I'm not enamored with using an airsoft light on a real weapon. However if an inexpensive airsoft light can be used a s a host for a decent and robust drop in module I don't see any issues for light duty use. Of course finding a holster (not important for bedside use) could be an issue. On the other hand the cost of the TLR or the SSL is probably going to be less than the cost of the OP's planned "build" Both the TLR and the SSL can be had for around $100.00. Of course less light since they both use LUX III emitters.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
Your idea of putting a Q5 P60 module on a handgun is a good idea. I'm going to put one in my 870 forend light.