Will the new ban on incan bulbs include flashlights?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congress just passed a Ban on Incan Bulbs. Will this include flashlights, if not will this just accellerate their demise.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
No, it's here in the US but it's a gradual phase-out. I'd love to know where one can read the actual bill that was just signed.

One portion of the bill sets new efficiency standards for appliances and will make the incandescent bulb -- invented two centuries ago and improved and commercialized by Edison in the 1880s -- virtually extinct by the middle of the next decade. The bill will phase out conventional incandescents, starting in 2012, with 100-watt bulbs, ultimately ceding the lighting market to more efficient compact fluorescent bulbs and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).

PayBack

Enlightened
All the extra mercury in landfills is going to do womders for the environment :D

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I found this but I went blind while trying to read it. There is an interesting part about prizes for developing efficient solid-state lighting. Lots of restrictions as to lumen range, color temperature, color rendering, etc. It sounded like they want to push LEDs to eventually be more competitive than Fluorescents.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not an incan guy, I am sure someone will pass a exemption for portable lighting. Forget about flashlights, think about the bigger issue...CARS...

Trying to go green, I did convert my headlights to florescents. They do not light nearly as much of the road..... but it was soo worth it. Now I can leave my lights on for hours without the battery going dead!
crackup.gif

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I heard over the radio that the incan bulbs will be out by the year 2020.

In other words, by the time LEDs will be so much more efficient than present day incans that no-one will need any law to change over, they'll just do it to save money by themselves, the law will kick in!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed.

Vinyl records, radio valves, gas lanterns and steam engines are not illegal. They will just gradually become less mainstream.

Whether that matters to you depends upon how much you like a particular incan torch. If one is important or valuable, then stock up on bulbs. We should have plenty of notice.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Ahhhh, radio valves . . . .:)

We call 'em Tubes here in the USA.

Still have many fond memories of listening to radios and record-players which utilized tubes.

The way they'd magically GLOW their soft orange color.

Listening in the dark was a lot more enjoyable with tube radios. :candle:

Thanks for the memory jolt, Ictorana. :thumbsup:

Do i sound OLD ? ? ?

:sigh:
_

oregon

Enlightened
Ancient.

Grocery stores used to have machines to test your tubes. You would bring in the suspect ones, determine which were DOA and buy replacements on the spot.

You could heat a room with a TV, radio and incans. Ahhhhh the good old days.

oregon

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bill will phase out conventional incandescents, starting in 2012, with 100-watt bulbs, ...
Wouldn't it make more sense to start with small bulbs?

Ninety percent of the energy that an incandescent light bulb burns is wasted as heat.
I believe 90% of the energy that a P4 Cree burns at 350mA is wasted as heat - even more at higher current.