Home Mercury Vapor light?

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I don't know a good way to explain this
so I hope it makes since.

My mommy
smile.gif
sets up a table for a ladied's tea party once a month.
So my problem (or her's) is that when she
takes the stuff to setup up a table to
church when she sets the stuff up
(sets the table) the colors don't match
because it's Mercury Vapor light at church
and normal 100Ws at home.

Now I understand why this happens my question is is there a way to setup a flashlight (maybe a Mag or Scorpion)
or a table-lamp to act like a Mercury Vapor.
So she can see what it will look like at church.

Or are there any Mercury Vapor that will work
in a normal 110V outlet.

Thanks for the help!
smile.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, look for outdoor fixtures, like portch lights. They make vapor lamps like that reasonably priced too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Any good hardware store will have "home" mercury vapor lamps & complete fixtures, ranging from 50 to 175 watts. The 175 watt model is by far the most common of these, and could very well be the only one you find.
You'll need the whole fixture too. If you just try to screw the bulb into a lamp, IT WILL EXPLODE.

Be sure you get a mercury vapor, and not a SODIUM vapor. Big difference. The common sodium vapors are an orange-yellow color; while the mercurys are some shade of blue-green to blue-white.
grin.gif

There are also a couple of common types of mercury vapor lamps - the "clear" bulb and an opaque white looking bulb that has "Deluxe White" phosphor on its inner surface (it would look like a gigantic egg-shaped version of a GE Soft White bulb).

Next time you go to church, try to get a look at the bulb. If you can see the tube inside a large, transparent outer bulb, it's a non phosphor type; but if you see just a big, egg-shaped opaque white bulb, it probably has the Deluxe White phosphor, so look for a fixture with that bulb in it when you go to the hardware store.

Expect to pay approximately $60 for a fixture with bulb. These occasionally go on sale and have been seen in the $30s of dollars.