Anyone compared Fenix T1 to SF M3 yet?

chR15

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a side by side with the Fenix T1 and the Surefire M3? I would like to know how they compare flood and throw wise. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, it will be used as a field light for close up work and for possible far off work not to mention a weapon light for my M4. (I'm active duty Army) Just wondering if I need to start buttering up the wife for the next purchase hehe.:grin2: Thanks guys!

chR15

Newly Enlightened
So, I take it no one here has a Surefire M3 and the new Fenix T1? After I get mine in a few weeks (Wife said ok to new locker,tow hooks, and hi-lift jack for Jeep, no to new flashlight:oops:), I'll post up a review I guess. How does beam pics, size pics, etc. I have some field exercises coming up too....see how it does!:thumbsup::twothumbs

EDIT-I still haven't found a comparison online.:(

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could give a quick eyeball test to a T1 vs. a M3T, but thats not quite the same as what you are after since the M3T is a throwy turbo head and the standard M3 is a little more floody.

1054.gif

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the sort of people who buy Fenix T1's are not the sort of people who buy SureFire M3's?

:crackup:

I suspect that the M3T will destroy the T1, but I will advise.

I don't have an M3T anymore, but I do have a Fenix T1 now. Honestly, that's not even a fair matchup. The Surefire with its hi-powered incan matched with a Turbo head simply decimates a T1.

MSax

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a little quick and dirty comparo.

- in a dark environment, the M3T is too bright for close up work; the T1 is too bright on High, but not on low.
- at 10', they are similar. The M3T throws yellowish incan light with a football shaped hot spot; the T1 is typical whitish blue of an LED.
- at 30', the T1 has slightly more spill; the M3T a hotter hot spot. But at 0 - 30 feet (or more), the is not a whole bunch of difference
- at 60', the M3T is definitely brighter; maybe 2x as bright to the eyeballs
- at maybe 120 yards, the M3T is the obvious winner; the T1's weaker and broader beam dissipates at that distance, whereas the M3T lights up the front of a house.

So, from 0 to 40 feet or whatever, there is some difference but not a whole lot; as the distance increases, the difference becomes more substantial. There is the obvious size difference as well. The T1 can be EDC-ed on the belt, whereas it would not be so easy with the Surefire. Just got back from Red Lobster with the T1, Victorinox Swisstool Spirit and Glock 23 on my belt under an untucked shirt. The M3T would not have fared so well under there.

right on

872.gif