Is the DS that much better?

brotherbob

Banned
Is the new light worth spending the money if you already have an older Arc? I know its brighter but is it enough to upgrade. I kind of hate to give the old one away but don't need two of this type of light.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think you have to decide that based on your own usage and spending priorities. It also depends on which model your old one is. In my case I'd say it's probably worth upgrading from the old BS generation but maybe not from a CS. Finally you don't have to give the old one away. That's what the CPF Marketplace forum is for ;).

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I upgraded for two reasons. 1) The DS is brighter, not substantially but noticeably, and whiter than the DS. 2) You can never have too many Arc's. My CS went into my EDC gearbag as a backup (not to my other arc, to my primary lights).

arty

Enlightened
Light output can very from one light to another. I suspect that I have a real bright CS model, and I am going to hold off replacing it until it dies - if ever.
It sits on my keychain and does what it should do - work when I need it and nothing else is at hand.

If you get a dimmer DS, it is possible that the difference may not be that great.
If you want whiter light - than it is probably worth it - it depends on how well your light is doing what you want it to do.
Unless you have a way of seeing the individual lights in advance of purchase - it is a gamble.

I have had the same question that you raise.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not think the difference was that great at first looking at the beam on the wall, but the more I use it outdoors hiking and lighting up indoor rooms it was definately worth the upgrade

Daekar

Enlightened
I did not think the difference was that great at first looking at the beam on the wall, but the more I use it outdoors hiking and lighting up indoor rooms it was definately worth the upgrade

I'd say it's worth the upgrade - especially when compared to the CS in outdoor usage. When using the CS I feel comparatively blind beyond a short distance in front of me when set opposed to a DS, which has enough power to reach out into the darkness a bit.

IIRC, it was discussed what would be most beneficial when Nichia releases the ES part and many people decided that more runtime at DS brightness would be preferable to more light for the same amount of time. How the circuit would need to be modified to achieve this I'm not sure...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't felt the need to replace my CS with a DS. It still does what I want it to, just as it did when I bought it. Also, I think it would be a shame to bump off my existing Arc AAA for a new one when it has given my such reliable service as my EDC for so long now. I have grown attached to the little thing :D

It is hard not to pull the trigger on one though, having said that...

Regards,
Tempest

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't a huge step up, but it is an improvement. If you would want to sell your old one, then the cost of upgrade is even less. I had a use for my old CS ARC AAA-P, so I took a chance on the new DS and I was glas I did. I haven't had an ARC AAA on my keychain for a few years, so my new DS holds its place of honor on a titanium chain around my neck, and my old one is on my keychain.

brotherbob

Banned
I just figured out I no longer have an Arc. I send it to one of my nephews along with a couple of railroad lanterns I had. I sent it to them for emergency use because I had already given his dad the same thing and he wanted them also. I hadn't used the Arc for a while because I was using my Orb Raw. Guess I will have to order one anyway.

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
"I haven't had an ARC AAA on my keychain for a few years, so my new DS holds its place of honor on a titanium chain around my neck, and my old one is on my keychain."

Neon, where did you get the titanium chain?

brotherbob

Banned
"I haven't had an ARC AAA on my keychain for a few years, so my new DS holds its place of honor on a titanium chain around my neck, and my old one is on my keychain."

Neon, where did you get the titanium chain?

I don't know about Neon but I'm going to order a titanium chain from this place as soon as I save enough money. Since I retired it takes awhile to buy anything. Whomever says you need 70% of pre retirement income when you retire is nuts, you need 110% if you want to do anything but lay around on the couch. These people offer different widths and lengths to fit your need or desires.

http://titaniumstyle.com/chains-1.htm

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
for what it's worth, from my personal experience, I have two old CS AAAs, one DS, and one snow, I have the snow on my key chain, my eyes like it better. Again this is just my eyes' preference, your mileage may vary, etc.

georget98

Enlightened
I was using one from the original company, I think before they started with the xS designations for the lamp. That light was about as bright as any other keychain LED.

The DS was like going from night to day, and seems to put out as much light as some 2-D incandescents.

22hornet

Enlightened
"Is the DS that much better?"
No, but the colored leds were better:nana:
(sorry, I couldn't resist ;))

Seriously, When using the old BS, it was weak and the CS offered a serious improvement. To me, with the CS, ARC entered another "usefulness-level" and offered just the right amount of light I needed for the intended use of the light (edc).

The BS was dimmer and worked only reasonably in complete darkness. With ambient light, the BS didn't do (for me).

The DS is brighter still, when compared to the CS, but not up to a point where it will really be able to do other tasks than these of the CS. It doesn't enter "the next level". When you need something significantly brighter than the CS, I would take a Fenix L0D, a Streamlight Microstream or a Peak Baltic HP.

This, of course, is my opinion and finding, so feel very free to differ ;).

Kind regards,
Joris

Burgess

Flashaholic
GeorgeT98 made the statement:

The DS was like going from night to day, and seems to put out as much light as some 2-D incandescents.

Wow -- impressive statement ! :thumbsup:

Gonna' hafta' get one of these little gems. :)

The comments here seem to indicate that most owners like 'em. :whistle:

Gee, as if i really NEED another flashlight. :nana:

_

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the DS came out, it replaced my CS. I like bright lights.
I gave the CS to my wife and she clipped it to her tritium tube. I told her I'll sell her old BS. She said, "Can I keep it?". She now has a "backup light". I was floored. She's almost a flashaholic.

paulr

Flashaholic
I was using one from the original company, I think before they started with the xS designations for the lamp. That light was about as bright as any other keychain LED.

Arc has never used xS designations, it's something that we CPF'ers have done based on Peter's disclosures about what leds are actually in the lights. The old company only used the BS series leds (all that was available then), with the "limited" or "premium" versions using selected color bins. The new company has had a "standard" and "premium" version that used to be BS and CS but is now CS and DS. There is also a GS led that apparently doesn't figure into this at the moment, but maybe should.

Folks shouldn't get their lumen expectations too cranked up, these lights are more about refinement and predictability than brute output. One doesn't buy fine wine purely in the expectation of higher and higher alcohol content. The AAA series is primarily for close-up and near-midrange illumination in low lighting conditions. It's not a searchlight and should not become one.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
...One doesn't buy fine wine purely in the expectation of higher and higher alcohol content...

I really like this analogy, and it works very well when talking about Arcs. Do you want a wine that'll get you drunk fast, or do you want a wine that won't turn to vinegar five years down the road?