Some P60 drop-in beamshots. (+ Outdoor Shots)

Jay T

Enlightened
Well I have a bunch of Q5 P60 drop-ins here so I decided to cook up a little comparison.

IMG_0769.jpg

The Surefire P60 was done in a 6P body using 2 surefire primary cells. Current draw was .37amps

The Wolfs Eyes Q5 260 lumen 3-6V was done in the Sniper body using an 18650. Current draw was .94 amps

The Dereelight CL1H V3.0 3SD was in the Dereelight body and it drew 1.25 amps from an 18650.

All others were tested in a G&P body using 2 x 17670 cells.

The BOG Super Premium Q5 was drawing .59 amps

The Malkoff M60 Q5 drew .79 amps.

The Solarforce 270 lumen found on ebay drew .57 amps.

All shots were done in manual mode, 1/3 second, F4 Iso100. This is somewhat under exposed to bring out the difference between the lights, otherwise the center would be a blown out white blob.

First a reference shot with a Fenix P3D Q5.
P3DQ5sm.jpg

The BOG Super Premium Q5.
BOGSP.jpg

The Wolf Eyes sniper.
WE3t6.jpg

The Malkoff.
Malk.jpg

The Solarforce Q5.
Solarforce.jpg

And the standard Surefire P60L
Surefirep60L.jpg

Added the Dereelight

Deree.jpg

It's above freezing and not raining, So here are some quick outdoor shots @ about 40ft.

The Malkoff.
outmalk.jpg

The Wolf eyes 3-6V
outwolf.jpg

The Solarforce. This one surprised me, I expected it to suck. It dosn't
OutSol.jpg

The BOG super premium. Is mine an underachiever? I expected better.
outbog.jpg

And the Dereelight 3SD. OP reflector by the way.
outderee.jpg

As a bonus here is a Novatac 120. The light I used for walking and setting everything up.
outnova.jpg

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Re: Some P60 drop-in beamshots.

:kewlpics:

Nice collection and well done with the pics, good comparisons with that collection.

Any chance of a few more pics (everyone loves pics) with say a little more distance and maybe even some outdoors?

Jay T

Enlightened

:kewlpics:

Nice collection and well done with the pics, good comparisons with that collection.

Any chance of a few more pics (everyone loves pics) with say a little more distance and maybe even some outdoors?

I will try to get some outdoor shots once the Dereelight shows up.

snakyjake

Enlightened

The Wolf Eyes Sniper looks impressive and better than the Malkoff. I'm not sure what a G&P body is and how it might relate to a Surefire. Could I assume a reasonable comparison between the Wolf Eyes Sniper and the Malkoff in a Surefire?

Jay T

Enlightened

The Wolf Eyes Sniper looks impressive and better than the Malkoff. I'm not sure what a G&P body is and how it might relate to a Surefire. Could I assume a reasonable comparison between the Wolf Eyes Sniper and the Malkoff in a Surefire?

The G&P body is a 4 cell surefire clone body, same sized bezel and it accepts the same tailcaps.

A for the WE vs the Malkoff they are very close. The Malkoff has a very good flood effect, it just throws light out the front in every direction. The WE has a very large flood. Both are nice.

EDIT to add: I just took both of these outside for a little night walk and other than the color difference between them they are almost the same.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice comparison. :thumbsup:

Something I've yet to see is a WE D36 Q5 beamshot. Anyone know how the 36 differs from the 26?

I've been thinking I need a new Wolf Eyes for a couple months now. :naughty:

Numbers

Enlightened

I am not up to speed on the technical side of this comparison, but dont the different power options used have some effect on the resulting beam shots?
I love seeing the pix but wouldnt it have been a more accurate comparison to run all of the dropin's on, say, 2 primary 123's? Or does it make no difference?

Cnote

Newly Enlightened

Nice pics, would be interested in the Dereelight when you get it. Thanks

Jay T

Enlightened

I am not up to speed on the technical side of this comparison, but dont the different power options used have some effect on the resulting beam shots?
I love seeing the pix but wouldnt it have been a more accurate comparison to run all of the dropin's on, say, 2 primary 123's? Or does it make no difference?

All the Q5s were tested in their rechargable li-ion configuration; 2 cells for the Malkoff, BOG, and Solar force while the Wolf Eyes was run on one li-ion cell because that is what it was designed to run on, two will burn it out.

The lone man out was the Surefire P60, I ran that one on two primary cell because at the time I didn't know it two Li-ions would burn it out or not. I have since read that it is ok. So just did a quick bathroom ceiling bounce test with a light meter. Both the primary cells and the li-ions read 23 lux. Using the two RCR123s .27 amps was pulled from the batteries vs .37 for the primary cells. That's the way regulated lights work, they are designed deliver XX amps at YY voltage to the emitter. They vary the amount of current from the cells based on the cells voltage to reach their designed power output.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Yes, the P60L is a perfect example of a buck regulated setup.

Bill

Numbers

Enlightened

Ok thanks,
I asked because I read that some lights are optimized for primaries, others for rechargeables even though they are regulated. Since all of these shots were taken with the battery config the light was meant to run in, then I appreciate them even more as the differences actually result from what the manufactured was trying to achieve rather than battery config.

const451

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for pix, Jat T.

+1 for outdoor shots, please.

firewire_bf

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the pics, Jay T! :goodjob:
I really appreciate your current draw numbers.

My Tiablo A9 drew from battery using
Tenergy 18650 3.7V 2600 mAh
high: 0.74 A (4.20V off the charger)
UltraFire 16340 3.6V 880 mAh
high: 0.69 A (2x4.15V off the charger)
To be honest. I'm a bit disapointed on my A9. The way it's regulator works.

According to your numbers of 1.25 A with the CL1H on 18650. The Dereelight must be a blast :D
I just love the Dereelight CL1H V3.0 3SD more and more...must resist...

txgp17

Enlightened

Nice pics. 1,000 thank you's.

Jay T

Enlightened

Bad news, the outdoor shots will not be coming soon.

I just returned from a nice dark secluded fishing spot out by the dam and all the snow was just messing with the shots too much. I was using my car as the target and even with the hot spot on the car it was darker than the spill around the car.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened

Jay T:

How does the Solarforce compare to the BOG and the Malkoff in terms of throw outside?

Mercaptan

Enlightened

Jay T:

How does the Solarforce compare to the BOG and the Malkoff in terms of throw outside?

Also the dereelight...

I'm wondering why the BOG Q5 looks so anemic beside the others...